Notices

b18a1 600hp build

Old 02-11-2013, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default b18a1 600hp build

Got my A1 on the engine stand. ***** about to get expensive... I'm going fully built. And when I say fully I mean FULLY. no shortcuts. Anyways I'm hoping to meet my goal of 600hp. I haven't decided exactly which turbo setup and kit I want to go with I'm more focused on the engine build. So far I've got together BC intake/exhaust valves. 6.6 mm intake and exhaust BC valve guides. Skunk 2 springs and retainers. Viton valve seals. And today I'm going to pick up a type r oil and water pump along with a moroso oil pan that I'm getting in a trade. Ordering BC forced induction cams when I get my next check. After that I'm sending the head off to get the guides installed along with a port and polish. Going to run wiseco 9:4:1 with BC I-beam rods and ARP2000 bolts . Getting the block step sleeved by darton and I'm keeping the standard bore to keep things simple. Not running a block guard. Gates timing belt. BC cam gears and golden eagle intake manifold. Cometic head gasket. Acl race bearing. And a forged eagle crankshaft. I also want to replace the stock valve locks. But I haven't really found any aftermarket ones... anyways I was wondering if this sounds like a solid build to y'all? Probably gonna run a precision 6262 turbo and a 44mm waste gate.arp head and main studs. Skunk 2 alpha radiator and one of those big *** spearco intercoolers. Anyways I just wanted to see if this sounded like a solid build to y'all? Anything I'm forgetting or leaving out? Yes I know I didn't talk much about fuel delivery and tuning but that's not my biggest concern. My concern right now is getting my A1 to hold the boost.I do all of my own work. I'm along way away from worrying about that cause I work at sonic and I'm 17 and I'm poor lmao. NOT SPONSORED BY MOM AND DAD.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: b18a1 600hp build

Sounds like you need to read more. Go check out the ls turbo build thread. You will find out good info there.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

You say your not concerned about the tuning/fuel , you need to be those are 2 of the most important things.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Youre 17 and work at sonic? Whats your backround with building motors? Unless somebody experienced is helping you put this motor together, its not an easy process. The slightest detail over looked could spell disaster for your build.

Build wise it looks ok so far. Make sure you replace the oil pump to be safe, I always use OEM, they are expensive. I also use OEM engine bearings. Dont really trust aftermarkets. Plastigauge to check tolerances. Also, if you sleeve the block, you wouldnt run a block guard regardless.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I'm gonna go with a type r OEM oil pump. Never heard of plastigauge?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lolv8s
you should research. buying parts is the easy part. if your still living at home, then your still sponsored by mom and dad so enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

google it. Plastiguage is a strip of wax. You put it on journal surfaces where the bearing makes contact. In the instance of your main bearings, you put a strip of plastiguage on the crank journals, install the main cap assembly, torque it to spec, then remove the assembly. By torquing it down, the plastiguage gets crushed down and fans out. There is are measurements on the packaging that show what your clearances are. Basically gives you the clearance between the bearing and the journal. Every motor has a spec that those clearances need to be in. Plastiguage will give you those readings and tell you whether or not youre in spec. These have to be within spec. If they are off too much, you could spin a bearing or have oil pressure issues.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Psychoteen101
Youre 17 and work at sonic? Whats your backround with building motors? Unless somebody experienced is helping you put this motor together, its not an easy process. The slightest detail over looked could spell disaster for your build.

Build wise it looks ok so far. Make sure you replace the oil pump to be safe, I always use OEM, they are expensive. I also use OEM engine bearings. Dont really trust aftermarkets. Plastigauge to check tolerances. Also, if you sleeve the block, you wouldnt run a block guard regardless.
Not to be rude or anything but if you honestly think putting together a Honda engine is not an easy process then you have to be somewhat retarded or have absolutely no technical skills.
I built my first engine at 16
Lsvtec 81.5mm p30 pistons stock crank and rods
Arp rod bolts
I even did the springs/retainers/valve seals by my self without any help
Engine ran for 8 months revving to 8700rpm
I mean I've never built any 600whp engines but it is extremely straight forward
You have rings, bearings, rod/pistons, main caps, rod ends to put on
Not really hard..
Old 02-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by v8eatrr
Not to be rude or anything but if you honestly think putting together a Honda engine is not an easy process then you have to be somewhat retarded or have absolutely no technical skills.
I built my first engine at 16
Lsvtec 81.5mm p30 pistons stock crank and rods
Arp rod bolts
I even did the springs/retainers/valve seals by my self without any help
Engine ran for 8 months revving to 8700rpm
I mean I've never built any 600whp engines but it is extremely straight forward
You have rings, bearings, rod/pistons, main caps, rod ends to put on
Not really hard..
^^^^^ my man right here. Just like putting a puzzle together. Little more costly tho haha
Old 02-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ my god. If you think its like putting a puzzle together, I can tell you its not going to make the drive to the dyno to get tuned.

If you are 17 and work at sonic, I csn tell you it will take you maybe 3 years just to buy the internal parts.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

****, the crank, sleeves, and port and polish will bring you to around $3,XXX.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you change all your rod and main bearings or did you keep all the oem stuff that came out? Measure ring end gaps, cylinder warpage, ect? It's easy to throw random parts in, torque everything to spec and call it a day. It might run but that doesn't mean you're a genius or did it the correct way. Any "retard" can put a Honda motor together, but it takes practice and skill to take all the proper steps to build a motor. Age doesn't matter. I built my first motor at 16, but I had my dad to help me out. Without him, it still would have ran, but only a miracle would hold it together. Any moron that knows how to turn a wrench can take apart a motor and put it back together. Takes skill to do it the right way. And I don't see a 17 year old that works at sonic doing that by himself, no offense to the OP
Old 02-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Psychoteen101
Did you change all your rod and main bearings or did you keep all the oem stuff that came out? Measure ring end gaps, cylinder warpage, ect? It's easy to throw random parts in, torque everything to spec and call it a day. It might run but that doesn't mean you're a genius or did it the correct way. Any "retard" can put a Honda motor together, but it takes practice and skill to take all the proper steps to build a motor. Age doesn't matter. I built my first motor at 16, but I had my dad to help me out. Without him, it still would have ran, but only a miracle would hold it together. Any moron that knows how to turn a wrench can take apart a motor and put it back together. Takes skill to do it the right way. And I don't see a 17 year old that works at sonic doing that by himself, no offense to the OP
Yeah I said I wasn't taking any shortcuts. You really underestimate me. I make pretty good checks and work like 35-40 hours a week. I know can't just slap it all together and expect it to run...
Old 02-12-2013, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to pay for the sleeves and to have them installed with all the machine work you're talking a minimum of $1500, probably more. I doubt sonic pays that well.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

why all the hate???

Sounds good so far, i wouldn't spring for the eagle crank. The stock one will be fine for the power level you are attempting.

I have built many engine over the years, tons of hondas, toyotas, nissans, and domestics. They are not hard to do, but if you don't have patience, and do not check and re-check everything you will have issues.
Im guilty of slapping a motor together... a GSR for a DD that i needed to get on the road ASAP, the motor ran great- for a minute. But it gave me time to build my H22 to swap in while still getting me to work.

OP- why 600 hp? With the parts your talking about you cold build it to have much more. do u just need that magic number to prove something? Im willing to bet at 17 you have not owned a 600hp car- it s a lot of power for a your male.
My Barracuda has over 700 HP and its ******* scary to drive on the street. im almost 30, have owned it for 15 years- it started as a 115 hp and has evolved. I learned to drive it slowly then build it and control it each step of the way with more power each time.

it concerns me that you want to jump in 600HP, it wont be a street friendly car like a stock civic is now.

I personally like KING bearings, they are a little more forgiving that ACL or clevite, and OEM is great, but i hate paying 15 for a half of a bearing!!!!

Figure out your goals, then build accordingly. ask specific questions, and do some research first. I takes time to learn everything, don't act like u already know it. We have been 17 before and remember when we knew everything then too....
Old 02-12-2013, 07:46 AM
Track Advocate

Originally Posted by 93h2beg
why all the hate???
funny how you post this and then basically reiterate the same thing everyone else has posted
Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: b18a1 600hp build

Never heard of plastigauge but your building a 600hp engine, good luck with that.
What car ru planning on putting it in?
Space out your words and use punctuation and proper grammer it helps.
What about the drive terrain what are the plans for that?
Engine management?
Suspension?
Cause 600hp will not last long if everything else can't handle it.
A build should be about getting a well rounded car that all the parts work well together.
Unless your building a drag car and only want to go straight, even then suspension, drive line, fuel system and engine management are vital to a build.

I'm 32 & starting my 1st turbo build. My goals are realistic because I'm grounded in reality.
By the way a stock crank can handle way more than 600hp
Old 02-12-2013, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93h2beg
why all the hate???

Sounds good so far, i wouldn't spring for the eagle crank. The stock one will be fine for the power level you are attempting.

I have built many engine over the years, tons of hondas, toyotas, nissans, and domestics. They are not hard to do, but if you don't have patience, and do not check and re-check everything you will have issues.
Im guilty of slapping a motor together... a GSR for a DD that i needed to get on the road ASAP, the motor ran great- for a minute. But it gave me time to build my H22 to swap in while still getting me to work.

OP- why 600 hp? With the parts your talking about you cold build it to have much more. do u just need that magic number to prove something? Im willing to bet at 17 you have not owned a 600hp car- it s a lot of power for a your male.
My Barracuda has over 700 HP and its ******* scary to drive on the street. im almost 30, have owned it for 15 years- it started as a 115 hp and has evolved. I learned to drive it slowly then build it and control it each step of the way with more power each time.

it concerns me that you want to jump in 600HP, it wont be a street friendly car like a stock civic is now.

I personally like KING bearings, they are a little more forgiving that ACL or clevite, and OEM is great, but i hate paying 15 for a half of a bearing!!!!

Figure out your goals, then build accordingly. ask specific questions, and do some research first. I takes time to learn everything, don't act like u already know it. We have been 17 before and remember when we knew everything then too....
The stock cranks have seen over 900hp, the only reason I would go with an eagle crank for is more stroke, but wouldnt waste my time on getting one.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when i built the lsv i said i built i didnt take short cuts
new oil pump, water pump
new mainbearings, rod bearings, and thrust washers, plastiguaged, arp rod bolts, npr piston rings, i will say i didnt check the p2w clearance, block and head both decked. for some reason people think its 1990 still and do not know what google is. honestly if you have a tool box with a metric socket set, a breaker bar and a torque wrench or stretch guage then you have everything you need, not really sure how you can just throw an engine together??? do you mean no plastiguage, no hone, no new bearings?? because i wouldnt even consider that a build of any sort.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

600 hp is just a goal. But trust me i would be more than satisfied with 500. No sonic doesn't pay me 1500 every two weeks. But who said I was trying to accomplish this build in a short time period? I understand it takes time and I'm not going to have all of the money at once to pay for it. I've also been reading on a few forums that the OEM bearings are the best to go with? King looks good though. And I kinda wanted to replace the stock crankshaft to play it safe. But I also know a guy that I got my brand new OEM typeR water and oil pump from who said he would sell me a micro polished OEM crankshaft. What do you think? Gonna try to drop it In an eg hatch I'm looking for shells already. Probably going to install spoon calipers and brembo slotted and drilled rotors.as for the drive train I'm not exactly sure which way I want to go. Gonna build my LSD tranny. Heavy duty clutch, light weight flywheel... but like I said I'm not worried about this yet I'm focused on the engine itself to hold the boost! Not exactly sure how I want to set up my suspension. Probably for autocross. What are some pretty good suspension setups?
Old 02-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: b18a1 600hp build

600 hp is just a goal. But trust me i would be more than satisfied with 500. No sonic doesn't pay me 1500 every two weeks. But who said I was trying to accomplish this build in a short time period? I understand it takes time and I'm not going to have all of the money at once to pay for it. I've also been reading on a few forums that the OEM bearings are the best to go with? King looks good though. And I kinda wanted to replace the stock crankshaft to play it safe. But I also know a guy that I got my brand new OEM typeR water and oil pump from who said he would sell me a micro polished OEM crankshaft. What do you think? Gonna try to drop it In an eg hatch I'm looking for shells already. Probably going to install spoon calipers and brembo slotted and drilled rotors.as for the drive train I'm not exactly sure which way I want to go. Gonna build my LSD tranny. Heavy duty clutch, light weight flywheel... but like I said I'm not worried about this yet I'm focused on the engine itself to hold the boost! Not exactly sure how I want to set up my suspension. Probably for autocross. What are some pretty good suspension setups?

Well at least you have a vision my friend, starting out with the engine is a different route than most. I personally like the EG hatches for drag racing, EF's for autocross and Integra for a fun street car.
But just about any shell you get can become your dream.
I Personally like EF's and DA's because I was around during the begining of the scene and thats what we had. Plus they are pretty light even with all interior compared to todays cars like the RSX. However, you can lighten any car with time and preperation.
Good luck with your build buddy and do plenty of reasearch.
Sounds like you are pretty determined, don't lose your focus or intrest.
The journey can be long and trying but don't lose sight of the vision you have.
The process can be slow and boring sometimes, nobody likes waiting.
We as americans want it instantly now days.
Dont give up!!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 06:29 PM
I live under a rock

600hp auto cross. Lmao dude. Good luck with that.

You want a 600hp car make friends with someone who has one. And let them build the motor or take it to whoever built theirs. You have a long way to go my friend.

There is a lot of information out there absorb as much as possible.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont think this is gonna happen
Old 02-12-2013, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know it seems far reached but I'll prove you wrong some someday
Old 02-13-2013, 03:42 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

All b series oil pumps are the same... from ls to type r, same part number

You just need to know obd1 or obd2, as the part numbers between the two are different because the obd2 pump has mounting bosses for the crank sensor

And you've never heard of plastigauge but you're going to build a motor..... right

And I wouldn't run a precision anything, the larger turbos, especially the 6262 at high pressure have had issues with compressor wheel/shaft flex causing bearing system damage as well as damaging wheels and shafts.

You need to research A WHOLE LOT MORE

As previously stated, buying parts and putting them together are two different things.

And unless you have at minimum 10,000 dollars (not including shop labor) then you won't get anywhere near done

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: b18a1 600hp build