Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Please help me pass CA SMOG test!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Please help me pass CA SMOG test!

Car - 1993 Acura Integra LS. Completely stock.

SMOG test fail results

Ignition Timing 14 BTDC
15 MPH TEST
%CO2 meas 14.8
%O2 meas 0
HC 89 max, 58 meas
CO .37 max, 0.08 meas
NO 495 max, 657 meas

25 MPH TEST
%CO2 meas 14.7
%O2 meas 0
HC 54 max, 52 meas
CO .36 max, 0.18 meas
NO 746 max, 609 meas

I've already been suggested to replace the catalytic converter but I want to understand what's going on with this car. Is it running lean or rich? What Can I do to improve these numbers? HC at 25MPH test almost failed. Why? Please Help!
Old 02-02-2013, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Please help me pass CA SMOG test!

Is this an automatic or a manual?
Old 02-02-2013, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this should help you understand the Cat better
http://www.aa1car.com/library/emis2p.htm

but the basic is that your Cat is most likely over it's life span and needs to be replaced.
I would also replace the O2 sensor with it as most of the time the O2 sensor is worn out as well.

also i have tricked SNOG test but running the car till it has Low fuel and then dumping in 3~4 bottles of 91% rubbing alcohol. it has a lower NO level when it burns but can raise other gasses depending on what crap it cleans out of the fuel system.

just make sure that if you pass SMOG using Alcohol you fill the car up with gas after as it atracts moisture.

Also HEET fuel antifreeze is Just Rubbing alcohol in a yellow bottle you pay a lot more for.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's possible the cat has simply lost its effectiveness, but it's also possible it was insufficiently warmed-up (which is different from warming up the coolant!).

Those numbers also make me suspect the EGR. Only automatics came with EGR, which is why I asked about that. If only one or two EGR passages get blocked, you'll end up with high NO as the blocked cylinders run hot, and high HC as the other cylinders end up with too much exhaust gas in them and suffer poor combustion.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The only real way to figure all that out is to get a precat sample. From my days as a Driveclean Repair Tech this was typical max readings precat.

co .5%
hc 200ppm
NO 2000

Then get the post cat and figure out the effeciency from there. I'm not sure how SMOG works, we (Ontario, CANADA) had to test in 2nd gear ( manual trans) unless the RPMs were over 3000rpm. If the dyno tech shifted to 3rd when it wasn't required, it would put excess load on the car and cause a fail.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a manual. The car did get a chance to get really warm as the station is miles from my house with bridges and straights in between.

I'm going to do an oil change and spark plugs today. Probably flush the radiator too and test the fans. Did I mention that I just bought this car? It's super duper clean. I think it's worth fixing it.

I know that we, in CA, have to buy approved 50 state catalytic converters. OBD1 cat converters are NOT to be sold or shipped to CA in anyway, shape or form. But lets say I did come across an OBD1 49 state legal cat converter, would I still pass smog if I used it? The difference in price is about 100 bucks and to me, that's a really pretty penny.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Some people say the CA converter has more precious metals in it compared to the 49 state. These are suppose to help convert more of the bad gasses. Others say all cats are the same. All I know is that CA cats go through a certification process, so if your SMOG tech is super strict he will check for the certification plate on your cat. Whether or not cat manufacturers just pay CARB for the cert--or actually make it more efficient--is anyone's guess lol.

If your 49 state cat is brand new, then you should have no problems passing even if they are less efficient than CA ones. I recommend keeping a cat just for smog testing purposes because most integras tend to burn a bit of oil and that will foul up a converter in a few years.

Last edited by vtaker; 02-02-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just ordered the 50 State legal cat to be on the safe side. It's a great idea to have a cat just for testing only that there are random SMOG stops now like there are DUI check points lol. So I'll just leave it on. It has a warranty for 5 years so it will be good for at least 2 checks during that time.

Anything else I can do to get those numbers down?
Old 02-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well put your old cat back on if you're worried about it. As long as you have a cat on, you won't have to worry about cops. Besides, they are more interested in writing bogus speeding tickets rather than fix-it tickets. BTW, the warranty is pretty much worthless unless you bought it from a reputable company. Many of them only cover defects as well e.g. the honeycomb cracked through no fault of your own. Most aftermarket cats last 30-40k miles.

Getting a new cat is really the answer. You could try putting alcohol in, etc, etc but in two years you will be dealing with the same gimmicks and hoping it passes. It's much easier to bolt up your spare cat
Old 02-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought it from Oreilly's. I wonder if the warranty is only valid when installed by an authorized installer.

I also have on order some new plugs, an NTK o2 sensor and possibly spark wires just for general maintenance. Overall this car is pretty awesome. I like it a lot already.