Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

CEL on my 06 TL (P0420)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CEL on my 06 TL (P0420)

Well my TL has 120,xxx miles and I haven't been driving it much at all, what would you guess the problem is?

I have a code reader and CEL is a P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2013, 11:08 PM
Cogent Argument Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CEL on my 06 TL (P0420)

Precat has gone bad. Bad O2 sensors have their own codes. Good news is RV6 performance makes a pair of high flow cats based on 200 cell Magnaflow universals that cost the same as one OEM catalytic converter. Bad news is one OEM cat costs $500-$600 and you're gonna wanna replace at least the O2 sensors on the rear bank while they're out, which are about $150 a piece. Only buy Denso, the Bosch ones will be trashed at the very first sign of simple misfire due to tune up (ask me how I know).
Old 01-29-2013, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Ben's
Precat has gone bad. Bad O2 sensors have their own codes. Good news is RV6 performance makes a pair of high flow cats based on 200 cell Magnaflow universals that cost the same as one OEM catalytic converter. Bad news is one OEM cat costs $500-$600 and you're gonna wanna replace at least the O2 sensors on the rear bank while they're out, which are about $150 a piece. Only buy Denso, the Bosch ones will be trashed at the very first sign of simple misfire due to tune up (ask me how I know).
now after the car was sitting, I drove it and now the CELL is off. seems fine now, what should I do?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Cogent Argument Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UA6 BALLER STATUS
now after the car was sitting, I drove it and now the CELL is off. seems fine now, what should I do?
Keep driving it for now lol. I reset my ECU a few times when I had the P0430 (the other bank) and it kept coming back shortly afterward. So I really doubt you'd reliably be able to pass emissions, because it will come back before the ECU is "ready" if it is like mine was. But you might be getting lucky. From what I've seen in the forums, this code and its sister normally mean new cat. And IIRC this code is for the rear one, which is about three hours labor time for a shop to do since they have to take off so much **** to get at it.

Edit: scan your ECU again, the code may still be stored, which still = failed emissions. All I remember with my ordeal was that I could get my CEL to turn off, but couldn't pass emissions until I replaced the ******. Better luck to you.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Ben's
Keep driving it for now lol. I reset my ECU a few times when I had the P0430 (the other bank) and it kept coming back shortly afterward. So I really doubt you'd reliably be able to pass emissions, because it will come back before the ECU is "ready" if it is like mine was. But you might be getting lucky. From what I've seen in the forums, this code and its sister normally mean new cat. And IIRC this code is for the rear one, which is about three hours labor time for a shop to do since they have to take off so much **** to get at it.

Edit: scan your ECU again, the code may still be stored, which still = failed emissions. All I remember with my ordeal was that I could get my CEL to turn off, but couldn't pass emissions until I replaced the ******. Better luck to you.
Thanks, I appreciate the insight, yeah hopefully it doesn't come back. :crossesfingers: