Notices

help me choose..

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Y2k
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me choose..

Guys, I am planning on boosting on a b18c JDM (Type R) DD with Full AC/PS compatible on an EG6 chassis, I've built a N/A b20b vtec head and done with it and moving on with new one.

I found ctd-fab that makes manifold for stock evo 8 twinscroll turbo. I plan on using this to begin with.

But as I keep on researching I found ppl discussing 16G turbo doesnt provide enough juice at the top end rpm where vtec engine needs, suggested go for 18G turbo and I cant find anymore further info I like to see so hoping this lovely crowd can help me decide. I intend to use stock evo because of reliability and durability of the turbo.

1. Does anyone know where i can get a decent good exhaust manifold (twin and non twin scroll manifold for my need (ac/ps compatible). I found spoolinperformance and hoping can get more recommendation if there are other options besides ctd and spoolin.

2. Can this manifold built for 16g coupled on 18g turbo straight up or need complete different manifold or modify 16g manifold to fit 18g if I regretted using 16G setup?

3. Pistons,rings,oil pump,rods will be replaced with forged one and lower compression. are there others i need to replace besides i mentioned from reliability aspect down the line?

4. For ECU i am planning on either use S300 or haltech ps 1000. Plan on also using boost by gear to best control its power and traction. any preference? I opt for s300 + module considering its price, thoughts & experience?

5. For gearing, I plan on using the MFactory Proseries Gear 1 and 2 for ocassional drag strip, i hope gear 1=2.7 wont be too much for DD. Mine currently gear 1 = 3.0 built NA.

Thank you for the time & appreciate the thoughts and suggestions. I'm located overseas and wanting to have a full grasp before ordering parts.

Thanks!!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: help me choose..

none of those companies build ac compatible manifolds for evo 8-9 turbos... and you cannot use an undivided manifold on a divided evo turbo, different flanges. and spoolin doesn't build a divided manifold for evo turbos, or an undivided for that matter

you can upgrade the evo 16g to an 18g or 20g for 160 for parts (wheel and compressor housing) plus whatever it costs to balance

Im doing a similar build with an evo 8 turbo, people that say they drop off on the top end are a little wrong, the turbo will still make good power up top, it just doesnt make as much as some other turbos....

if this is a daily car then extreme top end power isn't what you're looking for anyways so its a perfect street setup, you can get gobs of power out of the 16g if you have the proper setup, it does flow 41.7lb/min which basically means you can make 400 crank hp out of the turbo, max...so you can easily break 300-325, however it will be mostly low end tourque and gobs of midrange power