Notices

My weekend toy/drag car. Slowly getting done

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My weekend toy/drag car. Slowly getting done

EDIT: Yesterday 4/3/13 the got its final tune and i reached my goal! car made 430 whp and 325 wtq at 17psi on pump gas. i couldnt be more pleased with the tune. Big thanks to Slowmotion Motorsports for the help and the tune, the people of honda tech for helping me out with the build and all the qustions.

Dyno vid

Well figured i should make a build thread and get some feed back on my build and also learn more along the way.
my goal is to make 400-450 WHP
The build:
91 civic STD, pretty much stripped right now, nothing special to look at yet. The Main, dash and engine harness looked like they have been around more than a hooker. The main harness was very poorly converted to obd1 along with the engine harness, it was missing plugs had exposed wires very poorly soldered and wrapped, some one tried to do a wire tuck of the harness and it was not pretty. I thought the person must have been suicidal and wanted to catch on fire. Needless to say i ripped it all out get a uncut dash and main harness from a member on here.

now on to the motor
Block:
B18a1 bored to 81.5mm, honed, cleaned
Crank was micropolished and balanced
Eagle rods
supertech pistons should be about 10.5:1/10.6:1 CR
ACL bearings ( main, rod and thrust)
Balanced rotating assembly
Golden eagle LS-V kit with golden eagle HG
GSR ARP studs
gsr waterpump/oil pump
gsr gates timing belt
hasport mounts
Walbro 255
Head:
GSR head. stock for now
cleaned, pressure tested, resurfaced just to ensure its true flat
valve job, tested leaks for valves, replaced all valve seals, and 6 exhaust valves
B17 cams
Blox intake mani
70mm TB
Golden eagle fuel rail
ID1000cc injectors
areomotive FPR
earls braided fuel lines
jegs inline filter (sucks, very restrictive do not get this)
hondata 4 bar
hondata IMG
Trans:
A1 cable
CC stg 4
fidanza flywheel

Turbo set up:
Go-Autoworks ramhorn w/44mm wastegate flange
Go-Autoworks 3 inch V-band downpipe
Go-Autoworks dumptube
Precision 5858 with S- cover and .82 AR V-band
Tial 44mm wastegate
Go-Autoworks cold side intercooler pipe
Tial 50mm BOV
not sure what intercooler i have it was from my friends 240
made my own hotside
Hondata s300 with boost solenoid
innovate MTX-L wideband
Glowshift boost gauge

heres a pic of the car as it sits, sorry for the cell pics will get real pics here soon.

Tarring down the block

motors

got the intake mani

Block was sent out at the begining of december just og it back on 1/11/13
started to assemble this week

Last edited by eriki; 05-08-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Re: My weekend toy/drag car. Slowly getting done

Boost wear and tear on valvetrain just as much as rods and pistons. Mite wana consider at least something stronger. Especially with the goal you goal you have. Sure youll hit that goal. But id change it out for reliability reasons
Old 01-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Boost puts wear and tear on valvetrain just as much as rods and pistons. Mite wana consider at least something stronger. Especially with the goal you goal you have. Sure youll hit that goal. But id change it out for reliability reasons
Old 01-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

More after market stuff = more to go wrong. Oem valvetrain will hold up just fine people are doing it every day, it's not like I plan on revving to 9k. Most I'm going is 8200 or where my tuner stops. U should consider more research with that comment IMO
Old 01-20-2013, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for any feed back
Old 01-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should learn how to build a motor without for advice. Do it once, doi it right. Cheap ***
Old 01-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What he is trying to say is that for the money a set of springs is cheap insurance for your built motor, even with stock cams. The boost pressure does put a lot more strain on the factory springs which are how old? Aftermarket does not mean more to go wrong, or why would you replace all your internals?? Sure you can do it without, but it's cheap insurance.

Otherwise the build looks great, your on the right track.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

don't forget to gasket match the intake manifold for the throttle body, or it becomes pointless to have the larger piece
Old 01-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your the correct path, just seems like skimping due to your date, and life span of simliar builds with less cylinder pressure. Also, i hoped you planned to port match the intake manifold s well as the throttle body gasket.

Also, whats your plans for the oil squirters on your block
Old 01-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be a dick but the op does not need aftermarket valvetrain at all, especially with him not revin the poop out the the engine ( stock redline/where it stops making power). There are plenty of people running stock valvetrain dohc/sohc vtec for thousands and thousands of miles turbocharged/supercharged with no issues at all. just my .02 Build looks excellent bro
Old 01-21-2013, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
don't forget to gasket match the intake manifold for the throttle body, or it becomes pointless to have the larger piece
The TB came with one. its the Pherable.net 70mm one. great for the price.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ls joker
Your the correct path, just seems like skimping due to your date, and life span of simliar builds with less cylinder pressure. Also, i hoped you planned to port match the intake manifold s well as the throttle body gasket.

Also, whats your plans for the oil squirters on your block
im not skimping at all... but i get what your saying. now if i planned on revving a lot higher i would deff upgrade, its not like i cant upgrade in the near future which is what i have plans for any way i just wana make it through this season and then i will change some stuff up for 2014 season.
As for the TB gasket it came with the TB to match from Pherable.net. i will port mathc the intake mani soon, still need to take my flywheel and pressure plate back to the machine shop for a balance so when i do that ill see if they can port match it.
and for oil squirters its a b18a1, there are none, and most people that have them plug them any way with aftermarket rods
Old 01-21-2013, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by effin
Not to be a dick but the op does not need aftermarket valvetrain at all, especially with him not revin the poop out the the engine ( stock redline/where it stops making power). There are plenty of people running stock valvetrain dohc/sohc vtec for thousands and thousands of miles turbocharged/supercharged with no issues at all. just my .02 Build looks excellent bro
Thank you. i have done my homework for years on turbo cars, i boosted my 06 si and it was fine for 3 years untill i parted it out. still going strong at 110k and growing.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the feed back good and bad. keep it coming. hopefully will have a turbo set up in the next few weeks, and still working on cleaning the bay and getting ready to re paint it, it is very beat up, then on to the interior.
Ok so when i got the car from my buddy some one had welded seat brackets in beacuse they are custom but were made for an EK so the holes didnt line up so they welded it in and the bolted the seat rails to that. In the NHRA rules it states that a seat has to have 4 bolts holding the seat, any one know if i would be able to pass inspection because of this? or if its coverd with carpet they wouldnt see it. any opinions? thoughts? Oh its also some cheap *** yonka seat i will be getting a new one over summer but it works for now
Old 01-24-2013, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for any comments or suggestions
Old 01-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I have been looking into the go-autoworks pro 550 kit and these are my turbo options what do you guys think would best suit my power goal
Turbonetics T04E 50 Trim .63 a/r 400hp
Turbonetics TO4E 57 trim .63 a/r 500hp
Turbonetics T3 60-1 Hi Fi.63 a/r 550hp
Turbonetics 60-1 Large cover .63a/r 600hp
Garrett T04E 50 Trim .63 a/r 400hp
Garrett TO4E 57 trim .63 a/r 500hp

I know the 60-1 will be a bit laggy but leaves room for upgrade later, I'm worried the 57 trim might run out of breath up top though. Can any one chime in on this ?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also another option is the go-autoworks bullseye spec .70ar. Haven't seen too much about it though
Old 01-24-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by eriki
So I have been looking into the go-autoworks pro 550 kit and these are my turbo options what do you guys think would best suit my power goal
Turbonetics T04E 50 Trim .63 a/r 400hp
Turbonetics TO4E 57 trim .63 a/r 500hp
Turbonetics T3 60-1 Hi Fi.63 a/r 550hp
Turbonetics 60-1 Large cover .63a/r 600hp
Garrett T04E 50 Trim .63 a/r 400hp
Garrett TO4E 57 trim .63 a/r 500hp

I know the 60-1 will be a bit laggy but leaves room for upgrade later, I'm worried the 57 trim might run out of breath up top though. Can any one chime in on this ?
The 60-1 is the only one out of those choices that will get you close to 450whp that you're looking for (even then that turbine wheel will be close to being maxxed a bit).

The BEP "Spec" is a bit smaller than the 57 trim, but uses a much larger P-trim exhaust wheel. A bit slower response but a little closer to the 450whp you're looking for. Its just a little lazier in between shifts on daily duties.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's what I have read about you posting before, other than those options given what would be a good choice to get with room to grow as well. I can always ask to add on a different turbo for extra those were the choices at no extra
Cost.
And with the spec being "lazier" between I'm sure my LS trans won't help with that either.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:40 PM

I agree, valvetrain is mostly relative to rpm
Old 01-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

To a point... if you're running absurd pressure levels then springs are needed because the pressurized intake charge lowers effective spring rate and can cause issues with the valve not seating/closing
Old 01-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I know that the amount of boost I run will have a great effect on the valve train, but I don't plan on revving high this season. Of course I do plan to upgrade after summer and change a few things up once I graduate and hopefully get a good job lol. but for now it's all re-built head with oe components by my local head shop M&M head service. Great people and great work. Had all my machining done there and all the balancing done and had them assemble the bottom end with balancing with-In a gram. And he also is balancing my flywheel and pressure plate.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also won't running a catch can from the valve cover help with the pressure ? I am planing on using one from my local shop Slowmotion motorsports.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I got a go autoworks ram horn with 44mm flang WG, 3 inch Vband down pipe and dump tube orderd, hopefully will have the turbo, wastegate, bov, and intercooler pipes orderd this weekend.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well last friday wasent a very good day for me, it was snowing pretty bad here and ended up sliding down a hill into a mailbox then a ditch in my SI

gahhhhh pretty mad, need a new fender, mirror, fender liner, get the hood repainted blah bad tires+broken ABS sensor x snow= mailbox 1 civic 0
on a side note it did end up warming up to 65 for two days this week and ended up getting a good ammount done on the hatch. tore the front end down and cleaned the bay really good and prepped it for paint, also cleaned out the wheel wells which took hours and 4 bottles of simple green to do, they were caked in road tar and grime from the past 21 years.

It came out pretty good for just some rattle can, also painted the brake booster beacuse the master cylinder had leaked on it.

and here is the new manifold, downpipe, and dump tube

also orded a bunch-o-goodies today more pics next week when they get in.

Quick Reply: My weekend toy/drag car. Slowly getting done