Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Engine rebuild question? Sand in head bolt

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine rebuild question? Sand in head bolt

Hello,

I recently had some machine work done for an F23A1 engine in preparation for a rebuild. They cleaned and rebuilt the head, the block, the crank.

When I went to install the head, I noticed some of the bolts were difficult to get torqued to specs. It would start to make noise... I would back up, remove, oil, re-install, etc.... before torque steps. Then, I tool one out and put a magnetic feeler down the hole and came up with sand. Could this be part of the original manufacture process of making the block? Do I need to get this sand out? Do the bottom of these holes go anywhere? I already have the pistons installed, oil pump, etc... so I don't want to tear it down if I don't have to. I thought about rotating it in stand and shooting air or water up in the holes to see if it comes out.

Any thoughts?

Also, the head gasket is wider than the block or head in certain parts. All the holes line up, but I expected it to be a perfect match. It matches 100% with the one that came out.

Thanks,

Snoopy
Old 01-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine rebuild question? Sand in head bolt

A magnetic feeler wouldn't remove sand, it's probably metallic shavings from machine work. I'd guess your machine shop didn't clean 100%. It would be a good idea to clean all the crud out before you complete all your torque settings.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine rebuild question? Sand in head bolt

Thanks,

I called the machine shop and he claimed he washed it, and blew it out, but maybe not thoroughly enough. He thought that since the head bolt holes are deep, maybe it wasn't enough. I already had the pistons in and the oil pump, etc... Every book and post I read said to make sure you clean it out when it comes back, I just figured this place would give it back pristine. I also wished I had chased all the threads.

The head is aluminum, so I figure that wasn't magentic. I think if I would have used a stick it would have had sand stuck to it. Anyway, I turned the engine on its side, sprayed carb cleaner in the holes and out poured sand and shavings and oil residue. I used a soft brush on the end of a drill and srubbed it too, then shot more carb cleaner until everything ran clear. I cleaned the head bolts, and hand threaded them through their passages without any trouble, sound, or gritiness. I put the head on, with the head gasket, etc... and it torqued down okay... I think