Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaking coolant out the head

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking coolant out the head

hi everyone. just did a head gasket in my 97 civic minime d16y8 block / y8 head. when i took off the old gasket there was no crack. head and blicked looked good was gona send out the head but decided not to. anyway, i replaced all the gaskets on the car, new head bolts torqued tospec. and sequence. new locking nuts for the intake / exhaust mani. and new oil / filter / coolant. started it up earlier today for the first time and started click of a key! no check engine no nothing. ran excellent then after about 5 mins i noticed the top right of where the head meets the block is slowly leaking coolant. it wasnt leaking before i did all of this so anyone wana give me suggestions now? im tired of working on this car rly dont wanavtake the head off again (prolly going to) fyi i used aftermarket felpro gasket not sure if it might be slightly different then the oem. pretty sure i got the gasket on the right way it only went on 1 way to allighn with all the holes so idk pls help
Old 01-10-2013, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: leaking coolant out the head

Did u get ur head cylinder resurface? All aluminum head need resurfacing from machine shop every time u take the head off to ensure flat surface to evenly mate to the block. Even if if the head cylinder looked even I'd still get get resurface a lil to b on the safe side cause I know head cylinders are a lot of work.

When u remove head cylinder again you'll have to get another head gasket sorry to say.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah. . didn't get it re-surfaced figured i could jus throw a new gasket on and be good since my old one wasnt cracked. i replaced the gasket in the first place for a few reasons. 1. was getting white stuff under the oil cap (i guess its just condensation) and 2. water droplets coming from the exhaust with white smoke. when i pulled out the fuel rail / injectors i noticed one of the injectors (injector 4) the tip of it was cracked. so i assume gas was jus running through this thing and going into my exhaust? either way ill replace the injector. but back to my head. . yeah idk, honestly i think im jus gona try to re-torque it down, maybe torque the part where the leaks commin from a few more pounds. 49lbs is recomended which is what i torqued everything at in sequence. if still leak im just ripping off the head and gona send it out to be checked. -.- rly tired of working on this car i jus wana drive this lil ricer
Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea head surface might not be even or also if u didnt clean out the head bolt holes from the block, might have oil or debris in ther and then when u put ur head bolts on could cause u not to torque it down correctly.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Idk where you are from but I got a P4 port and polished ready to go kn a B series if that's what your running........I'm takn best offers on it got it for cheap my boy said its ready to go on ill prob sell it for 150 bucks
Old 02-23-2013, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

problem is fixed! took off the head AGAIN and the gasket was bent in the corner it was leaking from, duno how the F$#^ that happened, w/e im a DUMBA$$ lol. . anyway, put ANOTHER HG on put it all back together and its all gravy, no leaks, no overheating, everything running pretty smooth.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good to hear
Old 02-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would anyone be able to inform me on how much it would cost to resurface my block? and what the procedure would be (prep before i take it to the machine shop)?
Old 02-24-2013, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Depends every shop has a different price. My machine shop here cost bout $80 to $100 to deck the block.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i live in new haven CT i kno a shop that decks n sand blasts for like $120
as far as prep work i would jus clean n degrease it even tho the'll prolly blast it anyways... idk