Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Tachometer jump THEN Stall

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 06:58 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tachometer jump THEN Stall

Problem:

This problem has become especially prevalent with sub 35 degree weather. The car starts with no issue, idles steadily at about 1500 rpms for 60 seconds, the tach will then make a slight jump up (actual engine rpms don't increase) then stall extremely quickly.

After continuing to start the car, the above situation will happen 5-10 times in a row until eventually starting and running smoothly.

After researching the issue, I am back to the ICM due to the tach. malfunction (is this wrong to assume?) My problem is, i just replaced the ICM with a Beck Arnley ICM which resolved my 'random stall while driving issue'. Once the car is warmed up it will start and run normally. This is issue only happens with cold starts.

The car is up to date on most maintenance. Does this seem like the symptom of a faulty ICM? I have not tested it because it's new, but it's also not OEM.

I have NOT cleaned the Idle control valve, done wires/plugs, replaced coil/dizzy, ignition switch, main relay, or any of the usual suspects due to the car running normally when at operating temperature.

I am looking for a solution that makes sense based on temperature and the above symptoms. Thank you in advance for any insight you are able to provide.