Help! No spark!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! No spark!

Help! No spark! Car is 89....don't know where to post this, so move as needed
where it can be seen. Thanks.-Bob

Driving last night, my 89 Accord just lost rpm like it was cut off. Towed it home.
Engine turns over, so it's not a starter or battery problem. I have the charger on
it right now.

Thought it might be lack of gas.
My after market clear filter at the carb, shows it is now getting gas..... after I wired in an auxiliary external pump. My stock pump might still be ok but maybe it's not getting the "engine is running" signal from the engine, so it cuts off.

Thought it might be "IGN 1 or IGN 2 fuses under hood.
All fuses under hood are good. I looked under the dash at fuses on the drivers side
but nothing appears to be relevant to the ignition. Is there one that I should specifically check?

Thought it might be the ign "on" key switch
so I turned the stock ign switch to "on" and even jumpered a wire just in case, straight from the battery positive to the positive side of the coil. I used a remote starter button to turn the engine over. Engine turns over but won't start and won't run. Won't start/run on starting fluid either.

Pulled a spark plug and held it against the engine block as I cranked the engine
over with the ignition key switch in the "on" position. There was no spark. Plug was clean,
dry, and not oily. Plug gap was .032"

Thought it might be the distributor inside terminals,
so cleaned off the electrical deposits/crud on the rotor's end and each of the four terminals which the rotor would use to transmit spark to the spark plug wires.

Thought it might be the two-male pronged "module" in the Hitachi distributor,
but compared with the readings on a brand new distributor with brand new module, the readings are about the same. Both wires were connected to the slide-on terminals.

There is something else that's black plastic about an inch square and labelled "OC-136A 25-0.47" and the first letter has two horizontal lines going side to side through the center space. I tested the one on the car and also
my spare one and the readings were about the same. Any idea what that is or what it does?

I'm using an MSD blaster 2 coil that has been working for over a year.
My test light shows that with ign "on"...... the wire to the positive side of the coil is 12Volt/hot
and the wires to the negative side of the coil is a ground.

Coil tests ok for continuity between positive and negative terminals so I presume there are no wires broken inside the coil. Testing from positive to center hole
of the coil and negative to center hole of the coil, the readings are about the same as my brand new spare one.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some electrical theory....
With a points-type distributor, when the points opened, it would send electricity from the
coil to the distributor and on to the spark plug wires.

What is the modern-day equivalent that sends electricity from the coil to the distributor?
Maybe that is worth my looking into.

Right now it started raining, so I took that as a psychic message from God that
I should come inside and ask for help.

Thanks in advance.-Bob
Old 12-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help! No spark!

Test wires going to distributors. Mostly likely its t coil