Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Replaced Timing Belt and Tensioner after Civic Jumped Time... Now Cylinder Misfires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 06:29 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Timing Belt and Tensioner after Civic Jumped Time... Now Cylinder Misfires?

Hi,

Two days ago my 2001 Honda Civic jumped 4 teeth on the timing belt. It was still driveable and after having the tensioner and everything replaced (belts, water pump, etc), the Honda Techs told me that the car was running fine and seemed to have not bent any pistons or done any damage. They were surprised, but I drove the car yesterday (100 miles total -its 50 miles to where I work) and it did fine.

This morning, I was on my way to work again and the check engine light began flashing and I lost some power. The light had been on because of a canister valve leak that was previously diagnosed, but I hadn't had time to fix it (Sometimes the light also went off). The light had never flashed. I pulled the car over. Let it sit for a little, started it back up, and the light was on solid, then flashed again a few times, then went solid. The engine sounded fine, so I decided to try and drive it to work and made it fine, like nothing happened.

I then went to advanced auto and got the code read. Along with my canister valve code, I had a cylinder 1, 2, 3, and 4 misfire, as well as a random cylinder misfire.

I called Honda and am taking it in later (hopefully it can make it there with no problems). They told me that it could be one of 3 things. First, they said it could be bad gas. I had put 93 octane in after they did the timing belt, so I'm not sure if that would be a real possibility, but I put in some fuel injector cleaner just in case. They also said it could be the plugs causing it to misfire. Orrrr they said (and this is the doomsday scenario) that when it jumped time it damaged a piston or valve and it is rubbing - aka engine = toast.

I have a hard time thinking its this last one since it drove fine after the stuff was replaced and it drove fine after the light stopped flashing. Wouldn't, if a piston or something was damaged, it get worse and worse, not just go back to normal?

What are my odds that my engine is toast vs. just needs new plugs?
Old 11-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Replaced Timing Belt and Tensioner after Civic Jumped Time... Now Cylinder Misfir

I'd check fuel pressure, plugs, injectors and valve clearance. If all those are good then do a compression test then a leakdown test if there is compression loss to determine where it's losing compression. If it's losing compression through the valves the heads need to be checked/fixed. Way cheaper than buying a whole engine.