Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

93 Si Hatch Bad Distributor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Si Hatch Bad Distributor?

Hello all,
I have been fiddling around with my car for a while trying to get it to start. It's a '93 Si pretty much stock. It used to not start only in rain but now it does not start period. At first I thought it might be moisture getting to the ecu or a bad fuel pump (either electrical or mechanical). I already checked fuses and the main relay. It has now come to my attention that my distributor may be bad. I opened it up to see if any oil or moisture was getting to it but all I found was some greasy substance on the plastic part covering the coil and rotor. When I go to turn my car on the starter turns but i can't hear my fuel pump go off and the check engine light that comes on when you turn the key to on(II) position does not go away after a couple seconds. I did notice my distributor cap had a gap in it where it mates to the distributor itself. Any speculation as to what could be the problem?
Old 11-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 Si Hatch Bad Distributor?

Replace your distributor cap and rotor. find out what your check engine light is for, you can just short out the 2 pin connector near your ECU and it will flash your check engine light, remember what it does, it will flash the same pattern 3 times and then go to the next code if there is one.

Last edited by mikelusmc12; 11-21-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 11-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The gap between the distributor housing and cap are probably letting in unwanted moisture. You should start by replacing the distributor cap & rotor. Use good quality parts. Remove one plug wire at a time from the old cap, and install it onto the new cap. This will help you to maintain the correct firing order. It is possible there are other issues with your ignition system, such as a bad coil. The cap and rotor are a good starting point. A bad main relay can keep your fuel pump from working.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I checked the main relay and it works fine. I also tested my distributor to see if it does send power to the plugs and it does so I guess it probably has to do with fuel system. I will go ahead and replace the cap thought because that gap could cause serious issues down the road. I will also post when i do short the 2 pin connector close to the ecu.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:03 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

How did you check your PGM-FI Main Relay, [main relay]?

If you can not hear the fuel pump, and the CEL does not go out, and your not getting spark it is a good bet the PGM-FI Main Relay is not working properly.

The first things to try...

Turn ign. switch on and test for power, [ordanary 12V test light will work] at the injectors, [wire that is the same color at all 4 injectors], test for power to the distributor assembley, [black/yellow wire] test for power at IGP1 and IGP2 at the ECU/ECM, IGP1&2 wire colors are almost always the same color as the injector power lead color(s) and the only two (2) leads of that color at the ECU/ECM.

Check for those powers and let me know what you find. 94
Old 01-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The problem the first thing you listed @fcm. The ignition switch doesnt provide power to the pgm-fi main relay or any relay/fuse under-dash that is supposed to recive power in the on(II) position. does this mean a bad contact in the switch itself? the car has since stared but not reliably and the pgm-fi main relay takes more time than normal to click on and provide power to the fuel pump.