Notices

Crx dies when stopping and after taking off

Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crx dies when stopping and after taking off

I have a 1988 crx dx auto, when I drove it home it was about 100 miles. It drove great until I got off the interstate and stopped at the red light, after I took off it started sputtering like it was out of gas. I pulled it over and dropped in neutral it cranks right up and drives home fine. Now I replaced the fuel filter on the firewall (it looks like the system has rust in it) and it seems to have gotten worse. It does fine just driving along, no stalls or sputters, but come to a stop sign or red light and it starts sputtering and dies. It always cranks right up and acts like nothings wrong immediately after that, until you stop again. It doesn't die at every stop, its just a surprise when its going to do it. Sometimes it doesn't die when you stop, its only after you try and take off it sputters and dies, which can suck if theres a car coming, like when I slow down to turn onto a road, I make the turn hit the gas and it starts going then acts like outta fuel again. I just don't get how it can only be when coming to a stop or taking off and not going down the road. I guess I'm going to pull the fuel pump and check the sock filter on it tonight, does it sound like this might be the problem? I don't know the extent of the rust in the system, if its just dirty fuel causing the problem can I just clean out the tank and put the new filters and be good to go, or do I need to change the pump also? Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crx dies when stopping and after taking off

Well, I pulled the tank and fuel pump last night......ewe?...Man thaa's a lotta rust. The sock filter was nearly sealed off! I think I found my problem. Now, any suggestions on cheap way to clean the rust outta the tank? Or should I just buy a replacement tank at $130?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look through this thread before you replace any parts:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/car-dies-when-gas-goes-below-1-4-tank-help-searched-3024291/

I bought a new ebay gas tank and have had no issues so far. I've been using it for almost two years. It was only around 100$, I believe. Also, if you get the wrong sock filter, your stalling problem will persist despite fixing your rust contamination problem.

When you get your new tank with fresh fuel in it, buy a new fuel filter for under the hood but disconnect it, then stick the lines into a jug and let it cycle the old rusty crap into the container so it won't mess up your new fuel filter. I had to do this when my car had bad gas, new tank and all.

Note: I'm not responsible if you set your car on fire.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: replaced tank and sock filter, car is running great now.