Notices

Boosted EF8 Build

Old 10-31-2012, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Boosted EF8 Build

Hello Honda-Tech!

I'm new to the boost scene, been reading tons of things here and putting together my parts list for this winter. I own a EF8 up here in Ottawa, Canada and it's a weekend car with the odd weeknight thrown into the mix. Don't take it to the drag strip too much, it's more of a open lapping car.

I'm looking to put down anywhere under 250whp, I'm running 5 psi to start off and I'll retune if I need, don't wanna blow my motor up, it's just a goal I set. I'm not trying to go big, it's a small gutted car with a 6 point cage going in, don't need much.

Onto the guts of this!

Stock B18CR JDM motor
Y1 LSD Cable Tranny, a little grindy, may get it rebuilt, but I'll see how money is coming along.
Skunk2 Throttle Alpha TB
Skunk2 Intake Manifold
2 1/4" exhaust back to Tanabe muffler - a little ricey but it was an ok deal and I'll change it out later on.

I picked up turbo parts for a great price off someone local, I knew I wasn't sure about a few things but I knew that turbo was the logical progression for me.

Stainless Ram Horn T3 Turbo Manifo not eBay
38MM Tial knockoff wastegate w/dump pipe 10 psi spring
3 inch downpipe w/o2 bung
Holset HX35W Turbo - 7 fin - Turbo is big, I'm not against buying another turbo but I figure while it's still building
2.5inch stainless intercooler piping
1G DSM BOV
*Yonaka 25x9x3 Intercooler, one side backdoor, BOV attached directly to the end tank of the IC, open air recirc
4 ply silicone couplers w/stainless
T-bolt clamps
Stainless braided feed line with oil fittings and Blox Racing Oil Block Sandwich Adaptor
RC 750CC injectors
*Chipped po6 ecu
New in the box AEM digital & analog performance air fuel wide band
New in the box auto meter carbon fiber Boost gage

The *'d items I'm going to be changing out, I'm converted to OBD2A, and I bought an AEM EMS 2 years ago, I'll get it tuned locally. The intercooler is large and I don't want to cut too much of my bumper away if I don't absolutely have to.

And here's the beginning of my parts list that I need for my build:

ESP Traction Bars and Motor Mounts with 70A inserts - 8-10 weeks from order - specific for EF8/9 front ends, all the others manufacter for the USDM cars and require cutting, I didn't really want to do that, I like buying stuff that fits the chassis properly
Mishimoto Z-Line Intercooler - It's smaller and will support my initial goals.
Figure out my intercooler piping, if I have to modify the stuff I bought or if I just sell it to someone boosting and make new.
Yonaka Triple core half rad with shroud and slim fan
Either keep the DSM BOV I have or buy another and figure out where I want it.
Stage 3 clutch kit - unsure of brand to go with yet
Resurface the ITR flywheel
AEM Fuel Pump
AEM FPR
Vacuum Manifold + lines
Catch can + lines - Maybe not even needed?
Tap my oil pan or buy an oil pan and tap it
Either relocate my battery or buy an Odyssey and try to fit it somewhere, I may relocate an Odyssey, but we'll see.

So there's the start of it, The engine bay is small and cramped, every little bit will probably count.

Here's a few pics I took this year, it's been stored in the garage for a week now cause of the weather **** going on:

Name:  gIPn5.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  667.8 KB

Comments and suggestions are HIGHLY welcomed! I will not take offense to anything, I'm extremely new at this and although I am a logical thinker, sometimes I don't think about all the angles.

Josh
Old 10-31-2012, 10:23 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Default Re: Boosted EF8 Build

Nice whip
If I'm not mistaken Holset like high rpm to make power

Also, I suggest getting a real tial wastegate and change that 10lb spring to a 3-4lb spring. Having a 10lb and wanting to make 250whp @5lb will not happen. You'll have to get a spring lower than the lowest boost level you want to achieve, I hope that made sense.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks! I was also thinking about getting a new WG with a spring to match what I want anyways, I am not sure I trust the knockoff that much.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice crx
Old 10-31-2012, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that motor would make around 300hp with ease as long as its in good shape and well maintained. if i was going to drop money for a turbo set up i would set my goal for around that hp. i love clean efs btw. nice to see you holding it down
Old 11-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4g hatch
that motor would make around 300hp with ease as long as its in good shape and well maintained. if i was going to drop money for a turbo set up i would set my goal for around that hp. i love clean efs btw. nice to see you holding it down
Yeah oil change every 2 lapping days (max 1.5 hours each time) or 5000km, only burns a bit at the track but it's all high rpm shifts so I'm ok with that. I want to keep it easy for now, 5psi, see what kind of power they can get out of it, then maybe we can up it.

Thanks for the kind words, it needs some TLC but since it's a fun car I'm not worrying the tiny blemishes.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey im from ottawa too just wondering where you are planning on getting your car tuned.
im allmost done my build, fully built h22 with gtx3582r in a 98 civic looking for 550-600 whp but dont know any good local tuners other than chris tapp but hes outta the honda game. only other place i heard of is AEC in gatineau, kvr i heard is not that good.
let me know where you get it tuned and how you like it plz i would appreaceate it
Old 11-03-2012, 10:18 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

What about these places further southwest in Toronto/ Milton area.

Dynamotorsports - With Tony L. aka "Tony the Tiger"
http://www.dynamotorsports.ca/

Or

Japanese Automotive - Yoshio Kinoshita
http://www.japanese-auto.com/contact.htm
Old 11-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
What about these places further southwest in Toronto/ Milton area.

Dynamotorsports - With Tony L. aka "Tony the Tiger"
http://www.dynamotorsports.ca/

Or

Japanese Automotive - Yoshio Kinoshita
http://www.japanese-auto.com/contact.htm
the only problem is i have to break in the motor and i have no basemap to run the car and those places are 5 hours from where i live
Old 11-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'd get a smaller turbo like gt3255b...or silver surfer.
keep it around 300-325whp for piece of mind.
you'll be fine
Old 11-05-2012, 02:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rob.p
hey im from ottawa too just wondering where you are planning on getting your car tuned.
im allmost done my build, fully built h22 with gtx3582r in a 98 civic looking for 550-600 whp but dont know any good local tuners other than chris tapp but hes outta the honda game. only other place i heard of is AEC in gatineau, kvr i heard is not that good.
let me know where you get it tuned and how you like it plz i would appreaceate it
Nice!

I'll be heading to AEC in gatineau to get mine tuned in believe. I have heard good things about defcon racing in Toronto but i will need to get there on a basemap.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jmitchell
Nice!

I'll be heading to AEC in gatineau to get mine tuned in believe. I have heard good things about defcon racing in Toronto but i will need to get there on a basemap.
yea same here just need to find turbo mani that fits, going to trakwerks tomorrow for manifold, wastegate, bigger intercooler, 5 bar map sensor, and im ready to go
Old 11-09-2012, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice car!