Old 10-17-2012, 11:35 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Civic LX fan doesn't work; heater doesn't work

1994 Honda Civic LX
A/T
No A/C

Cliff notes:
- Radiator was cracked, replaced it and engine still getting hot; noticed radiator fan wasn't turning on
- Jumped battery directly to fan and it turns on
- replaced radiator fan switch (near the thermostat)
- replaced cooling fan relay
- fuses appear fine (no breaks)
- 12V measured from relay pin and ground; continuity between fan switch and fan connector; continuity between fan relay pin and fan connector
- fan still not working
- Heater not working
- CEL not on

My Civic's radiator fan won't turn on. Previously, my radiator cracked at the top and I sealed it as a temporary fix. I finally got around to replacing it and took it for a test drive. While test driving, my temperature gauge showed the engine was hot. I pulled over and realized the fan wasn't turning on.

I did some research and ended up hooking up the battery directly to the fan. It worked. I then jumped the two contacts on the fan switch and that didn't turn the fan on. I tested one of the terminals on the relay connector and a ground and got 12volts. I then tested for continuity between the relay connector and the radiator fan connector and got continuity there too. I also got continuity between the fan switch and the radiator fan connector. So I don't believe there is a wiring problem there.

I finally decided "what the heck?" and went ahead and replaced the fan switch and relay. I turned on the car and decided to turn on the heater. When I went to turn on the heater, it wasn't coming on. The engine got warm again and the fan also did not kick on either.

My question is: 1)Where do I go from here 2)Is the heater function somehow connected to the radiator fan operation?

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by tramsell; 10-17-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 94 Civic LX fan doesn't work; heater doesn't work

Has anyone had this same problem and found a solution? I'm currently dealing with the same issue and have found no results across the web. I even wired the fan to a switch and it still overheats.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:08 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you wired your fan to a switch to turn it on manually and it still overheats you have other issues. I'd start by making sure the system is fully bled. You might need to remove the water pump too to visually inspect the blades.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Siah Bianca
Has anyone had this same problem and found a solution? I'm currently dealing with the same issue and have found no results across the web. I even wired the fan to a switch and it still overheats.
This is an old thread and you've provided no specific information about your car or your tech problem. Create a new thread of your own and provide this crucial information.