Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Bad distributor? help please?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad distributor? help please?

Hey guys, so recently I heard a squealing and slight ticking that i THOUGHT was coming from the distributor in my 1990 integra, and the next morning i went outside to start the car and its started up and then immediately died out and would just crank and crank after that.
I left the car for a couple hours and came back to try and start it, Same thing happened it started up and then immediately died out. After that the car would just crank and crank.

I popped the hood and took the distributor cap off to find what looked like grease and shavings inside the cap. So i replaced the cap and rotor with brand new parts only for the car to still not start.

Before i go and drop money on a new dizzy (because the junkyards around my area do not have anything in stock atm) I was wondering if anybody else had any other ideas on what could be wrong with the car and why it will not start or if i should just drop the money on a new dizzy and HOPE it fixes the problem.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Bad distributor? help please?

although i am very certain that you have a dizzy problem,at least internally,you can take these steps to confirm it.

check for spark at the plugs.
probably no spark,so then make sure there is 12v at the ylw/blk wire going to the dizzy.

if there is 12v,youre looking at dizzy internals.could be anything from coil or icm to the cas or tdc sensor.
if coil reads .6 - .8 out of the dizzy,it is good.
if icm grounds are not working,it will be the cas or tdc sensor etc,in which case you will need to replace the entire dizzy,or fix(pain in the ***)

if not 12v to the dizzy ylw/blk wire,youre looking at ignition switch,main relay,ecu(rare).
Old 10-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JuicedUpRice
although i am very certain that you have a dizzy problem,at least internally,you can take these steps to confirm it.

check for spark at the plugs.
probably no spark,so then make sure there is 12v at the ylw/blk wire going to the dizzy.

if there is 12v,youre looking at dizzy internals.could be anything from coil or icm to the cas or tdc sensor.
if coil reads .6 - .8 out of the dizzy,it is good.
if icm grounds are not working,it will be the cas or tdc sensor etc,in which case you will need to replace the entire dizzy,or fix(pain in the ***)

if not 12v to the dizzy ylw/blk wire,youre looking at ignition switch,main relay,ecu(rare).
Already checked for spark forgot to mention that. I will do the rest of the things you stated and will get back to you. Thanks man very much appreciated
Old 10-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/bl...eshooting.html