Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Cons of adding the removable Cat Back silencer

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 07:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cons of adding the removable Cat Back silencer

Hiya. I was wondering about this removable silencer I got with my cat back system. If I install it it would make it less noisy but would it reduce gas mileage? I reckon to think it would for some reason, and I also think it might make the exhaust too hot. The thing looks like a crack pipe for your exhaust lol.

So what are the actual facts on this?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cons of adding the removable Cat Back silencer

It will quite it alittle, makes it kind of sounds weird, and in idea it might increase fuel eco, but I am not sure
Old 09-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if its a straight thru cat you will make it quiet also exhaust wont be stinky and you will get more fuel economy. but if it like the factory cats where there are two sponge looking things inside the cat that will cause too much restriction on the motor also will sound stupid and gets cloged easy wich will cause more strain on the motor as the cat get more and more filled with soot. imo i would say ditch the cat u wont smell the exhaust unless your right behind the car and also you will have better sounding exhaust and better breathing motor.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:16 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by dns92civhatchcx
if its a straight thru cat you will make it quiet also exhaust wont be stinky and you will get more fuel economy. but if it like the factory cats where there are two sponge looking things inside the cat that will cause too much restriction on the motor also will sound stupid and gets cloged easy wich will cause more strain on the motor as the cat get more and more filled with soot. imo i would say ditch the cat u wont smell the exhaust unless your right behind the car and also you will have better sounding exhaust and better breathing motor.
I got a magnaflow performance cat on it, its already got good flow on it. I would get one of those test pipe cats they sell on ebay but am afraid of emmissions laws (i live in VA). Don't know what the laws are where I am though.

I don't wanna restrict the flow of my exhaust with a silencer to where the engine gets bogged down. As it is already, the exhaust flows very well. Its just noisy that's all.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

. Its just noisy that's all.[/QUOTE]

noisy is good! imo
Old 09-29-2012, 01:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

. Its just noisy that's all.
noisy is good! imo[/QUOTE]

But watch out for cops, they may pull you over! lol

Its a 2.25' exhaust, not as noisy i've herad as a 2.5 or a 3.0'.

If I added a test pipe catalytic converter, like one of the 30$ one's from ebay, it would make my car more powerful and more loud wouldn't it?
Old 09-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You wont gain anything from an open cat, You can tho get into alot of trouble from police and you can get your car impounded and crushed for removing a cat. It a federal law and if they feel like making an example of you, they can crush your car w/o letting you get anything from inside of it. There is no straight flow cat, all cats have a honey comb in them and the only ones that will actually pass emissions. Just stick with you magnaflow cat and you will be fine. Only way you will get "soot" on your cat is if its not working correctly or installed incorrectly.

There is a test for cats, Get a compression tester or pressure tester, get adapter to fit a o2 sensor port. Hook it up and start the car, you should have between 1-2 psi of pressure, but dont let it get to hot. Get a gauge from Harbor freight when they go on sale, you can get the rest of the parts from a parts store for cheap. I think my whole tester cost me like 20-30 bucks and about 10 min to build.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Every thing the dns92 has said sounds like it comming from the mouth of a 17 year old boy. Who is un educated in how a car actually works and prob drives one of the worst ricer cars know to man.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Hidenplanvew
Every thing the dns92 has said sounds like it comming from the mouth of a 17 year old boy. Who is un educated in how a car actually works and prob drives one of the worst ricer cars know to man.
Hehehe, you're too funny. But you maybe right.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

You wont gain anything from an open cat, You can tho get into alot of trouble from police and you can get your car impounded and crushed for removing a cat. It a federal law and if they feel like making an example of you, they can crush your car w/o letting you get anything from inside of it. There is no straight flow cat, all cats have a honey comb in them and the only ones that will actually pass emissions. Just stick with you magnaflow cat and you will be fine. Only way you will get "soot" on your cat is if its not working correctly or installed incorrectly.

There is a test for cats, Get a compression tester or pressure tester, get adapter to fit a o2 sensor port. Hook it up and start the car, you should have between 1-2 psi of pressure, but dont let it get to hot. Get a gauge from Harbor freight when they go on sale, you can get the rest of the parts from a parts store for cheap. I think my whole tester cost me like 20-30 bucks and about 10 min to build.
Thanks for the info. All i'm thinking about now is the noise. The silencer. Is it bad or is it good?
Old 09-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bad, stick with the catback and dont put those stupid silencer tip BS in your Muffler, it wont make THAT MUCH of a difference
Old 09-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol right on the money
Old 09-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol right on the money
im sure I am