Notices

Do JE pistons work well with boost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do JE pistons work well with boost?

I was about to buy this SRP + Eagle rod combo for $750

http://realstreetperformance.com/sto...d16y8-333.html

But then I found this JE piston + Eagle rod combo for $684

http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/je-10...i-d16y8-1.html

What concerned me is in the description it says "Thick ring lands for limited nitrous oxide/forced induction use on low compression pistons."

Do they mean limited use with forced induction? That doesn't seem right unless they were made for N/A setups specifically. Figured I better ask before purchasing.

Thanks
Malcolm
Old 09-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Do JE pistons work well with boost?

SRP is made by JE, and they are usually priced lower, i would go with the cheaper one.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahh good to know. Thanks man. Their comment about "limited use with nitrous/forced induction" is nothing to worry about? seems like an odd comment to put on there. I may see if I can call them or get in touch with them via email and see what they say.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

JE is fine. Those in particular are limited use for those purposes because of the 4032 aluminum alloy. Typically, those aren't made for super strenuous conditions. The 2600 series is.

Next steps:

Find out from Real Street what material the SRPs are.
Tell us what torque/power are you looking to make.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Honda Bull
JE is fine. Those in particular are limited use for those purposes because of the 4032 aluminum alloy. Typically, those aren't made for super strenuous conditions. The 2600 series is.

Next steps:

Find out from Real Street what material the SRPs are.
Tell us what torque/power are you looking to make.
I called Real Street and the SRPs I was looking at are also 4032. He said unless I'm looking at 450 + hp they will be fine. 450 and above he said I need to step up to the 20618.

I'm only running 10 lbs of boost right now and realistically in the future I don't see myself going over 300 whp as this is more a fun daily driver for me and I don't want to be chasing the next weakest link IE broken transmission, shafts etc. I'm going for the peppy daily driver with a little kick.

While speaking to Real Street they also highly advised I do not go with the 10.5:1. They said unless I'm running C16 or E85 I'll be loosing HP because of the amount of timing I have to pull. He said honestly loose a little mpg and go with the 9.0:1 and I'll make a lot more HP on the high side.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

srp is je's budget piston... they don't have a lot of the features the je's hve such as gas ports and such and the je's are made out of a better alloy than the srp;s etc
Old 09-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't like them or je pistons in general. I have been very happy with my latest build that uses wiseco pistons and crower rods. A few $ is irrelevant for internals. If you do go srp/je make sure to go loose with the ptw clearances. Scuff is a bitch.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

the vg30dett i picked up had je pistons in it... 600hp and when i pulled them out htey looked great, no scuffing and they had no top damage, ringland damage or anything.
tops cleaned up like new

the piston on the left was the dirtiest out of the 6... middle is what they looked like after i got the carbon off. right was after deburring and breaking all of the edges and polishing the piston... look brand new
Old 09-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the info guys. The particular JE pistons I was looking at were a 4023 alloy and not the strongest. I ended up spending a little extra and getting a set of CP pistons made of 2618 alloy. Might be overkill but can't go wrong with a little stronger piston

Last edited by MalcolmV8; 09-16-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im running je pistons for the last 60K+ with no problems aside from the usual cold engine piston slap they take a pretty good beating....good pistons and you wont have any issues once tuned correctly.

if i had to do it all over again i would use a 4023 alloy piston for my street engine...the cold engine noise is getting annoying especially when it gets very cold, it sounds like a mid 90's VW diesel for a good 5min after startup.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by non-VTEC
if i had to do it all over again i would use a 4023 alloy piston for my street engine...the cold engine noise is getting annoying especially when it gets very cold, it sounds like a mid 90's VW diesel for a good 5min after startup.
Oh dang I've had cars with piston slap and it sucks, real annoying. Isn't that all in the machine work though? looser piston to wall clearances? What clearance are you running?

I was thinking if I ran tighter clearance I'd have no noise but if the piston alloy dictates that then I'd send these 2618 alloys back and get 4023 if they're quiet. Like I said daily driver so that'd get old fast.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

4032 is more than fine for what most people need. I'm running Mahle 4032 alloy pistons in my setup and I have no worry about them what so ever. All out race engine 2618, street engine 4032...
Old 09-16-2012, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did some googling and found this.

So, I have seen alot of misinformation on other forums about the differences and which is best to use for what application. Some forums have members that believe the 2618 is the only choice for any FI, and 4032 is for N/a; which is not close to the truth.

Basically in a nut shell, 4032 has higher silicon content which makes it harder and expands less under heat-meaning you can run tighter piston to wall clearances, better wear and less noise, longer life. However, the tensile strength is not as strong as 2618 which means 2618 can handle detonation better. THis is where the misinformation comes from. The reality is that a 4032 piston is actually very strong and will hold up to detonation much much better than a stock cast piston. They are good for turbo applications, but if max power is what you are after, then 2618 is probably the better choice. So where is the point that you should choose 2618 over 4032? That is debated everywhere, but with about a 12% less tensile strength, it is likely only around 12% less power than 2618. So, If a 2618 piston is rated at 1200hp, the 4032 should be able to hold 1000 hp with the same effectiveness. But no matter what, any piston has the chance to melt down/crack/break apart with a bad tune.

The 4032 alloy has a higher silicon content which translates into less thermal expansion and therefore a more snug fit, which means a quieter piston that is more smog friendly as compared to 2618. The tradeoff is that it's less ductile and brings reduced ability to withstand detonation. The 4032 alloy is great for OEM applications, and its better service life is a more appropriate fit for long term warranties.
Humm I was always under the impression it was just how you had the machine shop setup your piston to wall clearance as to whether you'd have piston slap or not. I did not realize the different alloys required different clearances like that. I guess I'll send back the CPs and get a 4023 alloy piston as I'll probably never reach their limits realistically and would benefit daily from no piston slap and quite cold starts etc.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your engine builder uses the supplied tolerances the engine will likely fail prematurely. Make sure they know what they are doing.

You can't slap a hp number on a set of pistons based on an alloy. It doesn't work that way.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TKERacer619
If your engine builder uses the supplied tolerances the engine will likely fail prematurely. Make sure they know what they are doing.

You can't slap a hp number on a set of pistons based on an alloy. It doesn't work that way.
Well since I am not a machinest by trade I'm not sure how I'd correct the machine shop and tell them to do their job?

As for certain alloys why can you not rate them? Isn't that how almost anything works? A softer metal withstands less pressure or hp on it and a stronger metal will take more? I'm not sure what you're getting at here?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:57 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

take it to an engine builder than happens to have a machine shop... thats the best thing to do
Old 09-17-2012, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
take it to an engine builder than happens to have a machine shop... thats the best thing to do
Yeah that would be ideal but I don't know any. I've called around. I asked some local performance shops that work on Hondas what machine shops they used but they're tight lipped and just want me to drop the motor off with them.

So I figured I'd just use a local machine shop. He's an older guy that's been doing this his whole life so he at least knows how to use his tools lol. But I did ask him if he's ever machined a block and girdle for rod clearance on the Hondas and he said yes he's done those before so at least I won't be his first.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HP creates heat which causes thermal expansion of the pistons. Pistons rarely fail due to some set hp limit. Poor tuning and improper installation are way more common.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HP creates heat which causes thermal expansion of the pistons. Pistons rarely fail due to some set hp limit. Poor tuning and improper installation are way more common.
I don't doubt that. I'm not even sure what we are arguing about here?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Agreed. I think that guy's using 12% as more of a reference point, however. Which is likely fine and gets us in the ball park. I wouldn't go using the 4032s on 800+ whp builds for instance but on the majority of street engines you'll be fine. But you must be careful with using material used based on power, because more goes into the longevity of an engine at higher power levels than material of the piston, as you say. And even with the same power level, you can have different cylinder temperatures dependent upon fuel being utilized.

The used, 2618 JE's I just put in my engine are very quiet at start up actually. P2W is .0038" with ring end gaps at .018" and .021". Only looking for 400 whp which is what I previously made on the OEM pistons. I only replaced them because of a cracked ring land on one.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I called and changed my order to SRP pistons made of 4032 so I won't have piston slap. I only plan on around 300 whp at most for this daily cruiser so I should be just fine.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nobody is arguing Just trying to reinforce factual info.

I have some experience with measuring piston wear using a ruby tipped CMM and feel JE could do a better job with overall piston shape. I did some work with Wiseco and saw the improvements they made first hand based on a long term study we conducted on used NASCAR pistons at my University so I am sorta biased. I do feel its a better piston but as long as your engine builder is communicating and understands what he needs to do to your engine in regards to the installation any of them will work just fine.

No need for the alloy you picked up but no need to send it back either.

Whatever you do... polish the tops like WantBoost did. They come sharp and are a fuse for detonation but be careful not to go to far, you don't want that area becoming too thin or it just does the same thing.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've never polished the top of any piston I've ever installed but then again they've always been real smooth on purchase with no burs. I will be sure and check these and see how they look.

You mentioned above if I have the machine shop bored my block to the specs provided by the piston manufacture they will fail. Can you elaborate on that? I would think their guidelines are best to follow since they manufacture their pistons.

I've mostly built fords 4.6 mod motor so that's what I'm most familiar with but when purchasing aftermarket pistons for those they always came with a card that said if this is a N/A motor use X piston to wall clearance, if it's boosted u use X and if nitrous X and so forth. They give you pretty good guidelines. Are you saying these are not good to follow?

Non the less when my SRPs arrive I'll post up what the card says and see what you think before I head to the machine shop.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MalcolmV8
I've never polished the top of any piston I've ever installed but then again they've always been real smooth on purchase with no burs. I will be sure and check these and see how they look.

You mentioned above if I have the machine shop bored my block to the specs provided by the piston manufacture they will fail. Can you elaborate on that? I would think their guidelines are best to follow since they manufacture their pistons.

I've mostly built fords 4.6 mod motor so that's what I'm most familiar with but when purchasing aftermarket pistons for those they always came with a card that said if this is a N/A motor use X piston to wall clearance, if it's boosted u use X and if nitrous X and so forth. They give you pretty good guidelines. Are you saying these are not good to follow?

Non the less when my SRPs arrive I'll post up what the card says and see what you think before I head to the machine shop.
It likely won't fail on your application. But just remember, "Build it too loose and only you will know it. Build it too tight and everyone will know it."

Speak to some professionals in your area regarding what they commonly do for those pistons. Most people will be more than glad to share that bit of info with you for P2W clearance with a certain piston in a street car.

And def just scuff the tops with a Scotch Brite pad unless they've been de-polished from the factory. You don't want them to be shiny.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Honda Bull
And def just scuff the tops with a Scotch Brite pad unless they've been de-polished from the factory. You don't want them to be shiny.
Why do you not want them shiny? I understand no burrs or nicks but what does a shiny top piston do?

Quick Reply: Do JE pistons work well with boost?