Notices

Hard time shifting into any gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hard time shifting into any gear

This situation is very intermittent, but whenever I come to a stop and release the clutch in neutral and go to shift it back into first, it won't engage first or any of the other gears.

I am thinking this may have something to do with my broken front motor mount, but I am unsure. It engages fine after repeated light attempts or if I can roll the car a few inches. Also this does it when the car is off aswell. The shifter doesn't go into gear nice and smooth, its kind of hits a wall then engages.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hard time shifting into any gear

I had the same problem when I bought my hatchback. I couldn't figure it out at first. Then, I started tinkering around with the clutch cable adjustment nut and it worked. I tightened it as much as I could at first. Made the clutch pedal heavy/tight but couldn't get into gear. So I loosened it all the way and all the gears went in easy. I then tightened the cable little by little until I couldn't shift into gear again. Then I just loosened it a few threads. I don't know if this makes sense, but it worked for me. Sorry, I'm terrible at explaining things. I hope this can help you out though. Good Luck.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You want to adjust the cable so that when you grab the clutch fork and move it the direction the cable pulls, there should be a 1/16" to 1/8" of play before you feel the throwout bearing make contact with the pressure plate. That's the only way to get the full engagement and disengagement of the clutch without wearing out the throwout bearing prematurely due to constantly riding it.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jus tighten ur clutch cable.at the trans pull the cable spin the plastic black or white nut lookin thing around da screw part of the cable. It right above the trans

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 09-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Now I see you guys recommending the clutch cable as a culprit.

Now today I went for a drive, and it went in gear almost every time. If the cable was out of spec wouldn't it do it everytime? Except when the car is off? I get it with the car OFF as well.

Also my input shaft bearing is going, so whenever I drop the clutch in neutral I hear it. When I push the pedal down the noise stops, indicating that the clutch is disengaged.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats throw out bearing, you might need a new clutch ..... input bearing would make noise all the time
Old 09-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's hard to get in gear with car off you have an internal trans problem or possibly a shift linkage problem. Could also be bent or broken shift forks in the trans. Typically a bad throwout bearing will make noise when you push the clutch pedal down so I think you're spot on with the input shaft bearing diagnosis. Usually input shaft bearing noises go away in 4th gear when engine and trans run at a 1:1 ratio.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crvtectim
If it's hard to get in gear with car off you have an internal trans problem or possibly a shift linkage problem. Could also be bent or broken shift forks in the trans. Typically a bad throwout bearing will make noise when you push the clutch pedal down so I think you're spot on with the input shaft bearing diagnosis. Usually input shaft bearing noises go away in 4th gear when engine and trans run at a 1:1 ratio.
Generally the engine drowns out the noise so I don't hear it too much. Just when idling.

Do you think the broken front motor mount could cause a situation like this?
Old 09-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm, well broken mounts can certainly put a strain on the drivetrain. It's easy and cheap enough to replace the bad mounts and see what happens.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm, well broken mounts can certainly put a strain on the drivetrain. It's easy and cheap enough to replace the bad mounts and see what happens.
Alright I guess it wouldn't hurt. How about jacking the engine up to see if it fixes the problem, or would I just mess things up rather then diagnose anything.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 09-05-2012, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's worth a shot. And will also give you an opportunity to look over your shift linkage while you're under there.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's worth a shot. And will also give you an opportunity to look over your shift linkage while you're under there.
Is there anything I should look for in the linkage? Like how do I know if its bent?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think the linkage would be bent, but possibly binding due to your bad mounts. Check for excessive play at the u joint section of it.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hidenplanvew
thats throw out bearing, you might need a new clutch ..... input bearing would make noise all the time
No, it's the input shaft bearing. If it goes away when he depresses the pedal, it's 99% ISB. I've owned 4-5 D-series transmissions that needed a ISB.

OP, I'd check the clutch cable adjustment, followed by shift linkage. Or you just can't drive