Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

What bearings are you using on your racecar?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 What bearings are you using on your racecar?

Ok here is the deal. Engine was a fresh build by a well known company but some how the bearings failed. We noticed the oil pressure low durring the dyno tune and shut it off. I have a 2.0 lsvtec turbo it had acl race bearings in it but like i said before we are not sure what caused the failure. We are not absolutly sure if the bearings failed causing the low pressure or the pump failed leading to the bearing failure. When we pulled the bottom end apart the bearings were stuck to the crank rather than the rod cap. What bearings do you reccomend for round 2 on this build? Any ideas why the bearing would be stuck around the crank rather than the cap? They almost seemed to "snap" in place around the crank.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What bearings are you using on your racecar?

sometime the acl race bearings dont give the best clearances when building a high hosepower motor so you step up to the acl race hx bearings to get alittle more clearance

also i have seen people put the rod caps on the wrong way causing bearing failure who ever build your motor ask them what they set your clerances to maybe the oil you was using was to thin causing you to have low oil pressure
Old 08-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ACL RACE HX'S BEARINGS...BUT YOU STILL NEED TO CHECK YOUR CLEARANCES...TYPE OF OIL..TO
Old 08-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not sure what oil clearance but it was built by golden eagle. I was running rotella t, I was told by Jack at Jacks Transmissions that it worked great for him on his race car. Either way the bearings are done and I dont know what the cause is. For some reason on the build sheet Golden Eagle sent doesnt have the oil clearances and has not returned my call yet. But, it has not even been a full business day yet, so there is still hope to get the clearances from them. Jon was really helpfull during the build so hopefully the customer service will continue to stay good. I am gonna rebuild it but take it another step further with better cams, porting, larger throttle body, and another couple things.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Even if you get the clearances from GE it will not help you since you will be using a new crank anyway.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you put studs in the main caps? Sounds like a main alignment/hone is needed.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check UR clearances on your mains,you might need a line hone.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What main clearence do you want ? Or what do you thing is right ?
Old 08-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hx race bearings have .001 TOTAL additional clearance btw.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Golden Eagle assembled the entire bottom end and supplied the parts. I sent them a block, mains and crank. They called me telling me my crank was bad and sold me another one. All i had to do is bolt on accesories and have it tuned.

and for everyone asking why i want to know clearances to see if that can help me eliminate a probable cause for the failure. The bearings failed with less than 60 miles on the engine and during a dyno tuning session we caught the low oil pressure. If the clearances were good, then I can start looking into other areas to find out what caused this.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So it is a rod bearing failiar? The line bore/hone has nothing to do with that. Althogh two of my four GE sleeved blocks needed a linebore.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rmercado
ACL RACE HX'S BEARINGS...BUT YOU STILL NEED TO CHECK YOUR CLEARANCES...TYPE OF OIL..TO
exactly. ok so i dont make 800hp but i used acl race hx's on my rods came out with a shade under .002 thous. oem pinks and reds for the crank, those are at .0018. the crank and journals were measured, bearings were ordered and then i still checked with a plastigauge
Old 08-27-2012, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

2 on the rods and 2.5 on the mains....50wt oil
Old 08-27-2012, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hello1320
Why so much clearance on the mains?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how did you measure your clearances? dial? plastigauge?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FASTHF
Why so much clearance on the mains?
Maybe you missed the 50wt comment....
Old 08-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2 for steal rods 3+ for aluminum and 2.5 on the mains. Extra performance needs extra clearances
Old 08-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hello1320
HA..
Old 08-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tepid1
Maybe you missed the 50wt comment....
Maybe you didn't understand my question...I'll try again. Why so much clearance on the mains? Anyone care to elaborate better than just 50wt? Seen tighter clearances than that using "50wt" oil without issues is the reason I ask.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used the hx acl race. 600 hp on my single no issues At all..i use endyns oil pumps always as well
Old 08-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1FASTHF
Maybe you didn't understand my question...I'll try again. Why so much clearance on the mains? Anyone care to elaborate better than just 50wt? Seen tighter clearances than that using "50wt" oil without issues is the reason I ask.
you can fill a huge clearances with 50wt.... to the op GE will align hone if you request it. i would imagine if they assembled the engine the mains would have been straight... bearing failure is not always a build issue a bad tune can crush a bearing without any other damage i.e. piston skirts or sleeves. you were saying you had ignition break up issues, it wouldnt suprise me if that wasnt the problem and your fly by night tuner didnt have a handle on things and was beating on it while it was detonating. i talked to a few friends that said they talked to you at a meet and supposedly you told them you couldnt get ahold of your tuner, maybe this is why lol. not being a dick just sayin. I realize we are a couple hours away but there are some very good tuners in your area i would suggest Derrick Rendon (HAVideos) if you need someone closer, he offers track support also so that is a plus for you since you plan on actually racing. also jack does build great trannys from what i have been told but i would never run rotella in a gas motor maybe thats just me but i would suggest schaeffer oil or brad penn.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PFI_NAYR_ONE
you can fill a huge clearances with 50wt.... to the op GE will align hone if you request it. i would imagine if they assembled the engine the mains would have been straight... bearing failure is not always a build issue a bad tune can crush a bearing without any other damage i.e. piston skirts or sleeves. you were saying you had ignition break up issues, it wouldnt suprise me if that wasnt the problem and your fly by night tuner didnt have a handle on things and was beating on it while it was detonating. i talked to a few friends that said they talked to you at a meet and supposedly you told them you couldnt get ahold of your tuner, maybe this is why lol. not being a dick just sayin. I realize we are a couple hours away but there are some very good tuners in your area i would suggest Derrick Rendon (HAVideos) if you need someone closer, he offers track support also so that is a plus for you since you plan on actually racing. also jack does build great trannys from what i have been told but i would never run rotella in a gas motor maybe thats just me but i would suggest schaeffer oil or brad penn.
Good info for the nubs to read.

Detenation will beat bearings out..most forget that..

As for Juan's comment, Paul was being funny, thats WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too big on the mains and you usually choose your oil weight, based upon bearing clearences..50wt is thick..his little jokes tend to go south after he's had too many milwalkee's best.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nayr, I have spoke with a few guys from up in your area. They may have miss understood me. I never have a problem getting ahold of my tuner, he has a local shop here in the springs. I said I was having problems reaching you on here. As for having Derrick tune my car, thats not gonna happen. Too much BS going around and I have called him out on all of it and HE posted on a seperate site he would talk to me about it in person but will not come around me in a public area. I planned on having You tune it since you have been very helpfull but the tuner made me a deal I could not refuse, replace my turbo and tune free, so i stayed with him. When I leave the shop that tunes me now, I will be bringing all the other Ghetto fab cars with me to the new tunner.

As for detonation, there are no signs of it at all. The issue could be my aem v1 and stock dizzy. I will change to coil on plug before having it run again. So it was probably just giving out, which may also be an issue. I dont know for sure.

I am not trying to lay blame on anyone, shop, or Golden Eagle them selves. The entire reason for this post was to find out what bearings everyone recommended. I am pretty much giving up on this season, and I am going to start my winter tear down early to finish the areas that I ran out of money for this year.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its true that detonation will kill bearings. But personally ive seen my own built motor with ACL race standard size bearings and had enough detonation to where it broke the ring lands and top and 2nd ring on CP pistons and started melting the side of the piston as well and the bearings came out looking like new, both rods and mains. My oil clearances were .0015 with the standard size on the rods and .002 on the mains. Was using 15w50 Mobil1 oil all its life. Motor had 16k miles on it prior to the incident when fuel pressure dumped on me during a pass and did the damage.

This is on an SR20 w/ SR20VE oil pump which is a high volume/high pressure pump. Stil lsame concept.

Thinking something went wrong along the way for that to happen.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah word it must have been me misunderstanding them lol... Yea I didn't know you knew of derrick or had issues with him. I'm sure he would square it up with you if you gave him a call. Anyway yea sounds like you'll get it all figured out.

Quick Reply: What bearings are you using on your racecar?