Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear Hum! running out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Hum! running out of ideas

I just got a new Ek hatch this week and the previous owner put in the rear disc conversion i believe from an integra. my problem is there is now a loud hum from the rear, yes it sounds like a bearing but i checked both and they are solid, also just got an all wheel alignment and the hum is still there. what could be the next thing? the shop said everything looked fine and solid but obviously the hum is a problem. it gets louder as you accelerate and also louder than the exhaust i have on it.. any one have other ideas? i have not had any experiance with the rear disc conversion before
Old 05-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Hum! running out of ideas

When you spin the wheel freely does it make a loud grumbling noise? The easiest way to tell would be to have the wheel, caliper, and rotor off so there's no resistance and other noises to interfere. I had the same issue after my rear disc swap and $70/30 minutes later a new hub assembly from Moog fixed the worn bearing issue.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well just cause the wheel bearing is solid dosent mean it aint bad . Just pin point what side in the rear you hear it and replace it an alignment dose not even fix a humming noise. Unless ur tires are shot cause tires that are cupped or feathered can also cause noises
Old 05-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i will try to replace the hub assembly, i spun it without the rotors and all with no play in the hub but i guess if the rear disc setup was sitting somewhere could cause some damage, after hubs idk what else it could be
Old 05-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Both my rear hubs had no play at all but the passenger side made the humming noise you described meaning a failing bearing.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good info i was also lookin for an answer, bought tires and all. So loud i get headaches
Old 06-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am glad you said that I almost got four new tires after the alignment didn't solve this.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im actually running into the same issue. Noticed it yesterday after I put my rear swap on. Tires are brand new and just had the car aligned prior to the install but need to replace the rear upper control arms.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wheel bearings. 100%
Old 06-04-2012, 05:01 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by guessohw
Im actually running into the same issue. Noticed it yesterday after I put my rear swap on. Tires are brand new and just had the car aligned prior to the install but need to replace the rear upper control arms.
Prior? What about after?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It can only be two things, the hub bearings or the tires. Just because that's no play in the bearings doesn't mean bearings are good so best thing to do is take wheels off and spin the wheels side if you hear anything.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What does the hub replacement consist of? Pretty straight forward replacement?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have another question. The replacement seems pretty straight forward so I'm not worried but the issue that I am running into is this. I bought the brake swap in 08' when I was in Iraq and I have most of the info but can't find the year make and model of the car they came off of. I believe it was a 93 integra. Do most of the years run the same size hub by any chance? Thanks
Old 06-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i did some research and it seems that the hubs are interchangeable for several years like all models 96-00 with abs use the same hub, still being on this topic......

Has anyone had any luck with amautoparts? they are the cheap ebay company and i know i know, ebay is bad but i am near broke and want something that is affordable. i have used a company from ebay before for hubs but dont remember which. any suggestions? a rear pair of hubs for under 75 is ideal for me
Old 06-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't dealt with that company directly. I just went through the Autozone site and ordered a set with two shipping for 112.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by guessohw
What does the hub replacement consist of? Pretty straight forward replacement?
it's straight forward. Remove caliper, rotor, take the metal cap off, remove 32mm nut and the hub will come off.

Don't cheap out on these. I've seen bearings hum, make weird noises and just be loud fresh out of the box. Timkin or OEM.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

^ NTN and SKF are also good. Also I have personally seen NTN bearings in SKF boxes.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rub the tire tread backwards of driving rotation, i had a hum and replaced my wheel bearing for no reason, car was alligned but the tires were feathered from camber wear and even with an allignment they made a purring noise even with new wheel bearings and an allignment.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mikeymike413
i did some research and it seems that the hubs are interchangeable for several years like all models 96-00 with abs use the same hub, still being on this topic......

Has anyone had any luck with amautoparts? they are the cheap ebay company and i know i know, ebay is bad but i am near broke and want something that is affordable. i have used a company from ebay before for hubs but dont remember which. any suggestions? a rear pair of hubs for under 75 is ideal for me
i wouldnt deal with amautoparts. ordered a set of trailing arm bushings that didnt fit, a buddy ordered trailing arm bushings too that tore after a few months of daily driving.

ebay companies sell on ebay for a reason, you get what you pay for.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98civdx
it's straight forward. Remove caliper, rotor, take the metal cap off, remove 32mm nut and the hub will come off.
Wait are you suggesting he replace the hub and the bearings? Assuming the bearings are not frozen I'd think the hub would be alright. You guys tell me.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeymike413

A pair for $75 is only going to get you ****.

Check rockauto.com
Old 06-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by EJ8_Man
Wait are you suggesting he replace the hub and the bearings? Assuming the bearings are not frozen I'd think the hub would be alright. You guys tell me.
It comes as an assembly, you can't replace just the bearings in the rear. Front yes.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
It comes as an assembly, you can't replace just the bearings in the rear. Front yes.
That's shitty and expensive, so how does Honda get the bearing in there? I was thinking a press in and press out. Thanks for the info
Old 06-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ8_Man
That's shitty and expensive, so how does Honda get the bearing in there? I was thinking a press in and press out. Thanks for the info
I would agree. I've never tried to find just the bearing so I really don't know if it's out there. The only comfort I find with the price, is that unless you are doing something insane, you should only have to replace them once in the car's lifetime.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All in all however the ease of installation offset by the cost balances things out.

Quick Reply: Rear Hum! running out of ideas