Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Race only brake pads; questions, complaints, recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Race only brake pads; questions, complaints, recommendations.

Originally Posted by SCoupe 5sp
Email this guy right here >>>>> tim@racebrakes.com Tell him David Martel gave you the contact info, tell him you race NASA or SCCA or whatever and ask what he can do.

You are then hard wired into the production guy at Porterfield Brakes in Costa Mesa, CA. The part number being RC503 for an ITR caliper. And the fronts want Raybestos pads in the ST43 compound.
I needed a set of the Raybestos pads (RC503 in ST43 compound), so I e-mailed Tim, but had not got any reply, so I called him at 949-548-4470 per the website http://racebrakes.com/ and he gave me a nice discount vs the regular advertised online price. He said to just give him a call instead of e-mailing him if you need a set of pads, so he can ask questions if needed. - Jim
Old 07-22-2014, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Calif_Kid
I needed a set of the Raybestos pads (RC503 in ST43 compound), so I e-mailed Tim, but had not got any reply, so I called him at 949-548-4470 per the website http://racebrakes.com/ and he gave me a nice discount vs the regular advertised online price. He said to just give him a call instead of e-mailing him if you need a set of pads, so he can ask questions if needed. - Jim
Spoke with Tim today. Gave him my feedback as well as getting some very good insights. I decided to buy another set of the ST42s, give up on the 43's and instead jump to the 45s. I've also been having a backing plate sizing issue from other places I've ordered my pads from and he said he would alter the plate to suit my needs. And the "racer discount" was a nice bonus as well.

Astonishing customer service.. just remarkable.

Like Jim said.. don't email Tim.. just call him, it will absolutely be worth your time.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've tried many pads (not the raybestos though) and settled on Hawk DTC-60's. I was very happy with that pad on stock caliper/rotor.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The DTC's are pretty good right up until they're not:

Picture of common problem with these pads from the first page:
Old 07-24-2014, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We have been running the DTC 60 front and DTC 30 rear for 3 years now. Never have we had a pad fail like that or fail in anyway. They say they fixed the problem and id say they have. Ive seen one neon do that but later found out they need a thicker backing plate to truly fix that problem.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone know where can I get the pfc 97 or 01 compound for itr front fitment???
Old 09-04-2014, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the chance to test out the Project Mu Sintered metal pads last weekend at Buttonwillow. The car is a 93 Civic HB with ITR calipers and Mini Cooper 11 inch rotors.

http://project-mu.co.jp/en/products/pad_sin.html

These pads are designed for high heat/endurance races. They have a very high metal content and will work great for anyone doing longer stints in their cars.

The cold bite is surprisingly good, but you can definitely tell these pads need heat. The brakes felt much better at the end of a 25 minute session then they did in the start.

Once warm, the bite is good, not too aggressive (less aggressive than Hawk HT-10, last pad I used)

These do have great modulation and are very sensitive to your input. You can feel the pad progressively grab harder long before they lock up. This was nice as it allowed me to try different braking techniques on a track I am very familiar with.

To me the best part about these was that because they are designed for endurance use. if they are used for shorter stints, the pad life is great! After 2 days. (7 session, 20-25 minutes each) each pad only lost about 0.5mm of compound. This also results in less dust.

I was expecting these to be much louder but they were surprisingly quiet, even cold.

Overall I give these 2 very big thumbs up. I am glad that I had a chance to try them out!
Pictures of the dust after 2 days, and rotor after 2 days.
Attached Images   
Old 09-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rice_classic
... give up on the 43's and instead jump to the 45s.
Why the 45's? How have they been as compared?

And, yes, agreed about calling him. I think we should always mention Honda-Tech forums word of mouth...
Old 09-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SCoupe 5sp
Why the 45's? How have they been as compared?

And, yes, agreed about calling him. I think we should always mention Honda-Tech forums word of mouth...
The 45s because the 43's (my aggressive option) are too sensitive about setting a good transfer layer and I often get the dreaded shudder. Tim said the 45's are a good aggressive pad and that they should much better about putting down a good, friendly layer.

I haven't needed to run them yet but I will at the upcoming event on the 20th. I'm looking forward to them!
Old 09-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, understand. My method is to always use bedded, seasoned pads on new rotors, or conversely, bedded rotors on new pads. That combo is my silver bullet to avoid shudder etc on new stuff.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's 2021, I'm sure there are some new pads out there now. I just ordered the ASR AP kit for my time attack car and am trying to decide on pads. The big three I'm looking at are Ferodo DS3.12, Hawk DTC-60, and Raybestos ST-43s. Does anybody have this same kit and can offer some feedback?
Old 08-03-2021, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I've used several of the Raybestos ST-xx compounds and just recently Hawk DTC-60's. Never used a Ferodo, but the Raybestos pads are awesome; Hawk, not so much.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ross2004
I've used several of the Raybestos ST-xx compounds and just recently Hawk DTC-60's. Never used a Ferodo, but the Raybestos pads are awesome; Hawk, not so much.
Curious what it is about the DT60s you don't like. I've used the Blue 9012s for a few years and they are phenomenal, very predictable, and decent even when cold, although I have always needed rotors when I need pads. Haven't really considered the more hardcore pads as my brakes won't hit over 1000 F on track (light and low powered EF)
Old 08-04-2021, 03:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by keen12a
Curious what it is about the DT60s you don't like. I've used the Blue 9012s for a few years and they are phenomenal, very predictable, and decent even when cold, although I have always needed rotors when I need pads. Haven't really considered the more hardcore pads as my brakes won't hit over 1000 F on track (light and low powered EF)
I spent years on DTC60s. It was "the" pad that you just had to run. The faster i got, the more i pushed, the more i lost "feel" in the pedal. Dial it back 1/10 and it was fine... I call them a good "time trails" pad. hit your marks every time and they will do well for you performance wise... BUT the will burn down fast and the will eat rotors.

I spent 1.5 seasons on the ST43 (same set of pads AND rotors). you DO NOT jump on the brakes with these pads. they have too much initial bite... but what you can do is squeeze them (harder and harder after you first press the brake)... this modularity was very conducive to wheel to wheel racing where i need to pass/lap miatas, E30s, and the back end of the ST and Spec3 groups. I couldnt always hit my marks, there was a car there or whatever... but i always had/have confidence in braking... did i mention 1 set of pads and rotors for 1.5 years?
Old 08-04-2021, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kaan
BUT the will burn down fast and the will eat rotors.
^ That's what I didn't like. Back to my normal ST-45's now and all is well.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have no experience with the Ferodo, but have run the DCT-60 and ST-43's on our endurance EG hatch on centric blank rotors with Wilwood DPHA calipers. The DTC-60's had too much initial bite and poor modulation. They did not last for a 16-hour weekend and provide poor rotor wear. The ST-43's had less initial bite but good modulation and excellent consistency. Pads are ~50% worn after a typical two race endurance weekend. The ST-43's do not wear the rotors at all. We replace the rotors after several race weekends due to heat checking on the surface.

For my last order, the ST-43 compound was not available, so we will be trying the ST-45's next race.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it. I ended up ordering the ST43s.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone have feedback on the ST45s?

i'm about to go from the EM1 (2550lbs) on 986 brakes with ST43s to an 8th gen (2750) with TL-S brakes .... is the extra 20lbs worth going from 43s to 45s? i think she's going to be a big girl... AND i should be 1-2mph faster on the straights.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like the 45's, more initial bite than the 43's which I always thought they lacked (and was surprised you said they had too much). Still rotor friendly and high heat tolerant, great wear.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ross2004
I like the 45's, more initial bite than the 43's which I always thought they lacked (and was surprised you said they had too much). Still rotor friendly and high heat tolerant, great wear.
i could easily jump on the brakes with ST43s and lock them up. the bonus was they would let go (unlike the DTC60s) and you can squeeze them (unlike the DTC60s) to some crazy braking pressures with great feel.