Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Race only brake pads; questions, complaints, recommendations.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Race only brake pads; questions, complaints, recommendations.

First and foremost: this is a "race-only" pad thread. To use myself as an example, I have very little experience with brake pads that have to do both track and street duty. I may not be alone.

Second, and relevant to your interests, I would recommend you start a thread about "double duty" pads as you will get your hits, more responses and that might help you find the droids you're looking for. Also, I recommend buying both sets; Cobalts and Mu's and reporting back what they do. Being the one to provide the review is often more fun then just reading the review.

I look forward to your results.

cheers
Old 07-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can respect that answer. I didn't know those project mu's were double duty pads, however.

I'll update with a review on the pad I run at the DE. Thanks for the response.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by itrQ
I am prepping my car for some track sessions and about to order some Cobalt's (XR2/XR5 per the recommendation online), but the local parts guy recommended these project mu's, hence the question. I realize all the pads mention in this thread are similar in price.

Not sure I would do an XR2 on the street, it is streetable but until you get them to temp a stockish pad will perform better for street driving.

I think an XR3 would be better for double duty.....I would also follow Colin's suggestion and start your own thread that doesnt say Race only in bold letters in the title

Last edited by Atmosfear; 07-07-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thoughts on using an enduro brake pad for a DD/track day car? Just in an effort to save some money. Or is there a better route for spending as little as possible on brakes for a just-for-fun HPDE car?
Old 07-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Atmosfear, I stated I will be having spare set of track pads/rotors that I will swap out at the event. I didn't know the Project Mu's were considered "double duty", or else I wouldn't have brought them up in this "Race Only Brake Pad" thread. With that said, I'll try the Cobalts.

Originally Posted by itrQ
Excuse my lack of clarity. I was planning on having a dedicated set of rotors/pads for the track to swap out. Right now, I'm on centric premiums and centric posi-quiet for the street.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Race only brake pads

Originally Posted by rice_classic
... a thread about race only pads. If you have questions, comments about a street pad, autox pad, or HPDE pad, this thread is not for you.
Word

Last edited by SCoupe 5sp; 02-14-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Slow*Jim
Thoughts on using an enduro brake pad for a DD/track day car? Just in an effort to save some money. Or is there a better route for spending as little as possible on brakes for a just-for-fun HPDE car?
Think about what you just said there, and then think about that when you are diving into a turn, slowing your car from 100+ even at an hpde.

Now, go make your own thread.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update as of Feb 14, 2013: Still on the ST43 from this past summer. Granted that I missed several events due to engine failure. However, car will be heading into its sixth weekend on the pads and are showing very good durability, particularly in light of the 350miles run at Thunderhill, the pad eating track for me. The Carbotechs would be toast by now.

These events have all been competitive Time Trail, Race or Test Day and not much was held back on the track. 1998 EK Coupe, 2265 lbs full race set up.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the ST43's in my car and love them so far. Not a "race car" but i do track days and the car is somewhat heavy and makes alot of power. The brakes have been doing really good so far, i had some uneven pad wear in the begining but i feel like it was my fault not embedding them in correctly.

After the last track day:

Old 02-15-2013, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by known
Think about what you just said there, and then think about that when you are diving into a turn, slowing your car from 100+ even at an hpde.

Now, go make your own thread.
:Snicker:

There's such a thing as being too SRS BSNS. I used Cobalt XR3's as a DD/DE/autoX pad just fine. Probably did 5 track days? So figure 8-10 hours on track? Keep your brake system in good shape and you won't have issues (or no more than you would with a dedicated set of pads/rotors). This was at 2800-3000# depending on whether I had a passenger and on stock suspension with street tires.

As far as race only pads, yeah the ST compounds are the shizzle. Also worth checking out is the Carbotech Enduro compound. These are pretty darn good and long lasting. I can't say that I like them more than the Raybestos but if you're looking for a change, give them a try.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A quick question. I decided to try the Raybestos pads in the ST43 compound. I got them from Porterfield in Costa Mesa, CA with the part number being RC503 for an ITR caliper. I've been using Carbotech so far (part CT503). The question is, that the Raybestos pads don't have the nubs on the outside edge that the spring steel piece lightly presses against. Here's a picture with the used Carbotech pads on the top, and the Raybestos on the bottom.

and here's a picture of the used Carbotechs with the nubs

and here's a picture of the spring steel piece in the caliper that I thionk usually lightly presses against the nubs

so my question is for the people that are using the Raybestos pads for an Integra caliper, did the pads come with those nubs? I'm not sure how important they are, but I believe that the Carbotech pads always have them. Thanks!! - Jim
Old 03-31-2013, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jim, some of the old pads I have sitting around my garage have those tabs on them, some don't The pads I checked are old Raybestos, Carbotech and Cobalt. All from the 503 backing plate template. I never noticed the tabs and never detected a difference when I used them.

What really secures the pads in place, imho, is the upper and lower slots on the caliper and the corresponding tabs on the pads. That spring provides light pressure at best and still makes contact regardless of pads with or without the tabs. You will be fine with the ST43 without the middle tabs. None of mine have it.

I hope you end up liking them. Sometime late this season (or more likely next year), we'll have to start burnishing in a new set to have with us as a backup. Its great to have a bedded pad and rotor combo on hand.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

David,

Thanks for the info... I didn't want to just install the pads without checking... - Jim
Old 04-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Spoke with Raybestos recently and according to them the ST45's are like "Elevens", if you get the reference. I'm hoping to try out the 45's this weekend, that is, if the car gets finished.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive had good results with the dtc 60's i drive to the track on them and drive home as well. overall super happpy with the performance from them
Old 05-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From what i have heard, the ST45's are quite a bit more aggressive than the ST43's and will eat up your rotors faster
Old 05-31-2013, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ran the ST45 in the Legend dual pot calipers on 10.2" rotors in a 200whp CRX for 4 hours straight. Absolutely amazing. However it was wet to drying that day and until the track was dry, really dry, the ST45 was "too much pad". But my god those brakes were good. Big(ger) rotors, big calipers, big pads and a big(ger) MC... They really are "Elevens".

However, they would be too much for my ITA CRX, but if I was in a heavier or more powerful car or a car with slicks, I would probably make the 45 my dry-track pad.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What does your CRX weigh in at for a race, wet, you in it? And congrats on doing a 4 hour race.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone have any experience with enduro pads? we've been running dtc-60's and have been able to get 1 16hr and 2 7hr races out of one set of fronts (completely gone). So thats 30hrs total.

We have a 36hr race coming up and I've thought about going to the dtc-70's as they are a higher temp range and I'm thinking they might last a little longer? We will be adding cooling so I hope that contributes to longer life as well.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SCoupe 5sp
What does your CRX weigh in at for a race, wet, you in it? And congrats on doing a 4 hour race.
My CRX is in ITA trim: 2250lbs/120whp

The CRX I was talking about does not belong to me (but I helped in assembly) and it weighs just about 2250lbs with driver (same as mine) but that's with the 25 gallon fuel cell full.

Thanks for the congrats but the race was actually a 6 hour enduro but the transmission was an "unknown variable" and it only wanted to last for 4 hours. It was also sad because the track was still drying out and we didn't get a chance to take off the R6's and put on the Hoosier Radial Slicks. Also, the owner of the car, who had the last stint, didn't even get a chance to race his own car. Such is a reality sometimes when running enduros.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:32 AM
Homosexual by choice

Where do you guys buy Raybestos race pads from?
Old 03-01-2014, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Email this guy right here >>>>> tim@racebrakes.com Tell him David Martel gave you the contact info, tell him you race NASA or SCCA or whatever and ask what he can do.

You are then hard wired into the production guy at Porterfield Brakes in Costa Mesa, CA. The part number being RC503 for an ITR caliper. And the fronts want Raybestos pads in the ST43 compound.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I get my from here:
http://www.topbrakes.com/c/home

And here:
http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/
Old 03-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Homosexual by choice

Thanks for the suggestions guys. One quick q how's the dust on the Raybestos? Are they decently rim friendly? Or must one clean them off ASAP? Do you guys do any wheel preps for brake dust (wax?). Thanks.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The dust from the ST43 is benign. Never had any issues with ST43 compound's dust affecting anything. Even if the wheels weren't cleaned all weekend. Ok if you like to do that sort of thing. But it's not an "or else" they are going to do something to your paint, wheels etc.

fwiw, Rice Classic's reference to www.porterfield-brakes.com is the same place as I've been buying them, just that I've found that Tim is the guy behind the curtain.

TopBrakes lists the Raybestos ST43 at $249 shipped. Porterfield, my records show that I've been getting them for less than that price (including state of California 9% sales *** ream) for NASA and SCCA racing org members.

My understanding is that the ST43 compound is a custom pad made to order. It is counter productive to expect them to ship out of inventory at the last minute like maybe, a spark plug or something. Best to plan ahead. I always have a back up set on hand withing a few weekends of driving on my next new set.

Last edited by SCoupe 5sp; 03-02-2014 at 09:53 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Race only brake pads; questions, complaints, recommendations.