Notices

I cant figure out why my car is smoking w/vid

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I cant figure out why my car is smoking w/vid

gm4 turbo rebuilt a few years ago by blaast performance, but ive only used it a couple thousand miles. I have an oil restrictor, as well as a big oil return with a nice straight shot to the oil pan. Endyn catch can with the black box removed, no oil in the charge pipes. Smokes under boost or higher rpms (seen in video) Didnt smoke before the turbo install, and has 20+ vac at idle. This is driving me crazy, I cant seem to figure out why its smoking.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwzvWertG9E&feature=g-upl&context=G22689beAUAAAAAAAAAA[youtube]
Old 04-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I cant figure out why my car is smoking w/vid

need more info..lets start with the tune? Who tuned it and whats the set-up?

Do you run a wideband in the car or have a freind with one?
Old 04-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This same turbo kit was on my DA integra, I just swapped everything over to my CRX. The parts where sitting for probably 2 years before put on the CRX. Its running the same tune as the integra, I realize it should be retuned even though they're the same motor. Running crome and tuned by a very reputable tuner. I do not, nor know anyone with a wideband.
set up:
stock b18b
DSM injectors
log manifold
OBD1 tuned on crome
2.5 bar map sensor
walbro 255
Stealthmode oil lines
ebay intercooler
GM4 turbo
2.5in downpipe
endyn catch can
ebay wastgate 12psi
pretty basic stuff
Old 04-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did they tune it without a wideband?
Old 04-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get it re tuned every motor is different and stay out of boost expecially without a wideband until the tune is touched up! Then go from there.

Originally Posted by twitch27
This same turbo kit was on my DA integra, I just swapped everything over to my CRX. The parts where sitting for probably 2 years before put on the CRX. Its running the same tune as the integra, I realize it should be retuned even though they're the same motor. Running crome and tuned by a very reputable tuner. I do not, nor know anyone with a wideband.
set up:
stock b18b
DSM injectors
log manifold
OBD1 tuned on crome
2.5 bar map sensor
walbro 255
Stealthmode oil lines
ebay intercooler
GM4 turbo
2.5in downpipe
endyn catch can
ebay wastgate 12psi
pretty basic stuff
Old 04-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is just a Little high rpm oil burn man, perfectly normal on a Honda motor with higher mileage, replace the valve seals and piston rings if it bothers you that much, but nothing to be freaking out about.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Slacker93eg
How did they tune it without a wideband?
It was tuned with a wideband, I just don't have access to one. I know how important a tune is, I'd just like this fixed before a retune. It wasn't smoking before the Turbo. I've tried a smaller oil restrictor (don't remember the size) and a bigger drain back, as well as researching crank case gases. As far as I can tell it should be OK. The fact that is wasn't smoking before, makes me think its turbo related.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

for what its worth, i had a 57 trim rebuilt by blaast like 5 or so years ago. got it back and it still smoked. i talked to the guy on the phone and wound up sending it back and if i remember they did some sort of double ring seal. whatever it was it worked. i got the turbo back, it sat for a few years then i threw it on a setup and all good. its still running fine today on a friend of mine's car
Old 04-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like it smokes more on decel in higher RPM... valve seals.

also could pull the turbo off and see if there is any oil in the exhaust housing. if there isnt then its likely valve seals
Old 04-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if it wasnt smoking before the turbo what was the setup prior? Let me guess oem with oem ecu if so your question is answered...get it tuned. If you drove the motor with the wrong tune you could of cracked a ring land.

Originally Posted by twitch27
It was tuned with a wideband, I just don't have access to one. I know how important a tune is, I'd just like this fixed before a retune. It wasn't smoking before the Turbo. I've tried a smaller oil restrictor (don't remember the size) and a bigger drain back, as well as researching crank case gases. As far as I can tell it should be OK. The fact that is wasn't smoking before, makes me think its turbo related.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i used to have ur exact problem but it might not be the turbo at all. once the car is fully warmed up does it still do that, im guesing it doesnt, and if im right then its most likely gonna be your valve seals or even worse your piston rings, and i know its very hard to accept that its your piston rings, i was in denial myself until i took the motor apart and saw the damage to cylinder walls. once the engine warms up the metal expands and even if you have a lil crak in sleeves you might not smoke. try taking off your exhaust manifold and clean the valves through the ports. let it sit over night or 2 and get a tissue and wipe the valve stem and if there is oil on the tissue then your valve seals or guides r ****ed. hopfully its that cuz thats cheap and eazy fix. if they arent and the compression tests are normal then its ur turbo, or oil control ring on the bottom of piston
Old 04-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and yea you should still tune the car when swapped to another chassis. i noticed that the ignition load changes a bit depending what your putting it into. if you got a integra motor going into a 2000lbs crx then it might feel wierd cuz at any rpm its gonna be "working more" kinda like if you were trailoring something or it might the other way around, but in other words, retune should be a must even for cruising out of boost. everytime your car hesitates, that means its leaning out at around 16 to something air fuel ratio or more!!