Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol - What is the correct ECU for a ZC DOHC engine? And other questions...

Old 03-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Del Sol - What is the correct ECU for a ZC DOHC engine? And other questions...

Good Evening

I might not be knowledgable as much as anyone around here about cars so my questions are:

1_ Which ECU would run with a ZC DOHC engine, though my del sol has a swapped ZC DOHC and the ECU is a PR4/A11 OBD1 since i bought the car.
I have been told that a P74 or P75 might work but i am not really sure about it. As far as i know, a PR4 and P74/P75 are for the Acura Integra so does that mean a ZC engine is completely compatible with those ECU's? are there any other ECU's i can use?
what do you think about that guys? which one would perform better and why? give me some ideas or opinions please.

2_ If i want to start on a new build..
which one do you recommend for me? and how much it costs?

3_ What kind of engine is that in the picture?

Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2012, 05:39 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: Experts on Engines and ECU's!!?, please come in.

To the left of the exhaust manifold, just right of what appears to be black spray paint, there's a flat spot on the block. Look at that. That will tell you what engine you've got there.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Experts on Engines and ECU's!!?, please come in.

It looks like an OBD1 B18A but it could be a ZC engine as they look very similar.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol - What is the correct ECU for a ZC DOHC engine? And other questions...

Thanks!!, but how about the first two questions!?
Old 03-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Del Sol - What is the correct ECU for a ZC DOHC engine? And other questions...

Originally Posted by FLAASH
1_ Which ECU would run with a ZC DOHC engine, though my del sol has a swapped ZC DOHC and the ECU is a PR4/A11 OBD1 since i bought the car.
The correct ECU is a P29. They're very hard to find and JDM only. A friend of mine ran one of these engines years ago and we just ran it on a P06 with the intention of getting it chipped and tuned, we never did get around to it, it ran good but the fuel and timing maps aren't ideal. PR4 or P75 is probably closer to the right ECU.

Originally Posted by FLAASH
3_ What kind of engine is that in the picture?
OBD1 DOHC ZC. The ZCs had a black plastic cover to expose the timing gears (missing in the pic) that the B18A/B18Bs didn't have, that's the easiest way to tell at a glance in a picture. The intake manifold tells you it's OBD1. OBD0 versions will have a flat spot that says PGMFI.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: Del Sol - What is the correct ECU for a ZC DOHC engine? And other questions...

Originally Posted by 94EG8
The correct ECU is a P29. They're very hard to find and JDM only. A friend of mine ran one of these engines years ago and we just ran it on a P06 with the intention of getting it chipped and tuned, we never did get around to it, it ran good but the fuel and timing maps aren't ideal. PR4 or P75 is probably closer to the right ECU.

OBD1 DOHC ZC. The ZCs had a black plastic cover to expose the timing gears (missing in the pic) that the B18A/B18Bs didn't have, that's the easiest way to tell at a glance in a picture. The intake manifold tells you it's OBD1. OBD0 versions will have a flat spot that says PGMFI.
Thank you very much for all the helpful informations, i feel like the PR4 ECU i am using is causing some problems to the car like a smell of carbon due to the ability of not burning enough amount of fuel!!
it's a theory but i am not sure if it's correct or not.

However, I am grateful that you helped me identifying all of my issues
and i will buy the P29 JDM as i found plenty of it available for sale. and i hope it fixes that problem as well
many thanks!.