Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

parking brake adjustment?

Old 03-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default parking brake adjustment?

So I just finally completed my first brake job on my R. I've never done such a big job before. I changed out rotors and pads. Now using brembo blanks and hawk hps pads. Was alot of work to do, but luckily I had the service manual and some good tools to make the job smoother then it would have been w/o my trusty cordless 18v impact wrench. Im investing in an impact driver for next time around.

But a big issue came up just a few minutes ago, my car was parked in my driveway with a fairly good incline and my friend just leaned against the bumper and the car started to roll slowly down the driveway!!!!!! When these hawk pads are cold, they dont stop as well as cold OEM pads. The handbrake was pulled to about the usual 6 or so clicks, never had this issue before I did the brake job.

Is it common to re-adjust the hand brake after putting new pads/rotors in? If not, I think I need to recheck my work! lol!

Thanks for any info!
Old 03-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: parking brake adjustment?

The handbrake is kinda loose sometimes after pads and rotors because you have to twist the mechanism all the way back to put in the new brakes. I would rip the e brake up and down a few times to see if it gets better. If not, the adjuster for the E brake is a 12mm nut that you access by removing the arm rest/console. It's a nut that pulls the cables tighter. It'll be obvious when u remove the arm rest.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
The handbrake is kinda loose sometimes after pads and rotors because you have to twist the mechanism all the way back to put in the new brakes. I would rip the e brake up and down a few times to see if it gets better. If not, the adjuster for the E brake is a 12mm nut that you access by removing the arm rest/console. It's a nut that pulls the cables tighter. It'll be obvious when u remove the arm rest.
Thanks for the info B! I just found the procedure in my service manual, and it has all the pretty little pictures that I love so much! hehe!

Thanks again!
Old 03-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Adjust so it holds the car still in 7-10 clicks
Old 03-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hybrid96EK
Adjust so it holds the car still in 7-10 clicks