Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Acura Integra
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!


Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
Gsrsi
Honda-Tech Member
1999 Honda Civic
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Chi
Posts: 365
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Synthetic oil?

I have a 94-95 gsr. It's running 10-30 castrol in it now. I like to rev somethimes, more then others. Should I switch over to full synthetic?
__________________
Jealousy is just love and hate at the same time.
1999 em1~gsr
Gsrsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
TheRealTegger
Honda-Tech Member
1991 Acura Integra
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 982
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

Sure. Can't hurt.
TheRealTegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
vladd
Honda-Tech Member
2000 Acura Integra
My Garage
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,402
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

It'll probably burn off faster than regular oil.
vladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
el crapitan
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,578
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post
It'll probably burn off faster than regular oil.
this should have more to do with viscosity rather than the class of oil
__________________
the richest ones are not those who have the most, but those who need the least

-bernhausen specialty automotive- BC's diesel truck headquarters
el crapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
vladd
Honda-Tech Member
2000 Acura Integra
My Garage
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,402
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by el crapitan View Post
this should have more to do with viscosity rather than the class of oil
I'm saying that with the same viscosity, the synthetic will burn off faster than the conventional.
vladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:36 AM   #6
el crapitan
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,578
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

but since the only place oil is burned is through the rings, i can't see how 2 oils of the same viscosity could slip past the rings at different rates. or maybe the synthetic sticks to the walls more? i dunno.
__________________
the richest ones are not those who have the most, but those who need the least

-bernhausen specialty automotive- BC's diesel truck headquarters
el crapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
TheRealTegger
Honda-Tech Member
1991 Acura Integra
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 982
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post
I'm saying that with the same viscosity, the synthetic will burn off faster than the conventional.
No it won't. Same viscosity, same burn-rate.
TheRealTegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
TOO MUCH TORQUE
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
TOO MUCH TORQUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,947
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

synthetic is a waste of money. your gsr engine will run fine with conventional and see no benefits with synthetic.
TOO MUCH TORQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
TunerN00b
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
TunerN00b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA, United States
Posts: 7,421
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO MUCH TORQUE View Post
synthetic is a waste of money. your gsr engine will run fine with conventional and see no benefits with synthetic.
You can normally go with a longer change interval on most synthetics if the car came with conventional.

However, since Honda specified a 7,500 mile interval on conventional for the car, I'm not entirely sure I'd risk a longer one.
TunerN00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
vladd
Honda-Tech Member
2000 Acura Integra
My Garage
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,402
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealTegger View Post
No it won't. Same viscosity, same burn-rate.
Haha. Are you saying that just to say it? Do a search and let me know what you find. When people switch to synthetic, they get more oil leaks, and it burns off faster as well. With both being the same rated viscosity, the synthetic is thinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO MUCH TORQUE View Post
synthetic is a waste of money. your gsr engine will run fine with conventional and see no benefits with synthetic.
I agree. Unless the manufacturer specifically calls for synthetic, it's generally a waste of money.
vladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #11
TheRealTegger
Honda-Tech Member
1991 Acura Integra
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 982
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post
Haha. Are you saying that just to say it? Do a search and let me know what you find. When people switch to synthetic, they get more oil leaks, and it burns off faster as well. With both being the same rated viscosity, the synthetic is thinner.
No it doesn't and no it's not.

Synthetics do not "cause leaks", do not "burn off", and are not "thinner".

Anybody can post to the Internet, and anybody does. The fact of having been posted does not lend any post any sort of veracity.
TheRealTegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
vladd
Honda-Tech Member
2000 Acura Integra
My Garage
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,402
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealTegger View Post
No it doesn't and no it's not.

Synthetics do not "cause leaks", do not "burn off", and are not "thinner".

Anybody can post to the Internet, and anybody does. The fact of having been posted does not lend any post any sort of veracity.
Damn, you're an idiot.
vladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #13
copy
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 22
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

Hi,
I have heard plenty of horror story's when synth's first came out. Basically all the oil leaking out the engine and the engine burning up. I also remember hearing that if you started a brand new car with synthetic oil the chances of this were less then if you changed later when the car was old. I think they also sell a half and half oil that suppose to provide the best aspects of mineral oil and synthetic oil.
If it was me i would see what your owners manual says about it. If the manual says okay I would then call up a service writer and ask him if he see's any cars come in with problems because synthetic oil.
It has survived on the retail market for a very long time so im guessing they may have gotten the bugs out of it.
copy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #14
TOO MUCH TORQUE
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
TOO MUCH TORQUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,947
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post
Damn, you're an idiot.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

spend a week there and you'll learn a bunch
TOO MUCH TORQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
vladd
Honda-Tech Member
2000 Acura Integra
My Garage
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,402
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO MUCH TORQUE View Post
go do some reading kiddo...bobistheoilguy.com
Thanks dad, but I've known about that site for quite some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copy View Post
Hi,
I have heard plenty of horror story's when synth's first came out. Basically all the oil leaking out the engine and the engine burning up. I also remember hearing that if you started a brand new car with synthetic oil the chances of this were less then if you changed later when the car was old. I think they also sell a half and half oil that suppose to provide the best aspects of mineral oil and synthetic oil.
If it was me i would see what your owners manual says about it. If the manual says okay I would then call up a service writer and ask him if he see's any cars come in with problems because synthetic oil.
It has survived on the retail market for a very long time so im guessing they may have gotten the bugs out of it.
When you switch from conventional oil to synthetic on an older car, it could start leaking in areas where the conventional oil was too thick to go through. It's not that the synthetic oil causes new leaks per se, but that the wear that was already there is enough for the synthetic to go through, but not the conventional.
vladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #16
TheRealTegger
Honda-Tech Member
1991 Acura Integra
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 982
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post
When you switch from conventional oil to synthetic on an older car, it could start leaking in areas where the conventional oil was too thick to go through. It's not that the synthetic oil causes new leaks per se, but that the wear that was already there is enough for the synthetic to go through, but not the conventional.
No.
TheRealTegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #17
TOO MUCH TORQUE
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
TOO MUCH TORQUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,947
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post
Thanks dad, but I've known about that site for quite some time.



When you switch from conventional oil to synthetic on an older car, it could start leaking in areas where the conventional oil was too thick to go through. It's not that the synthetic oil causes new leaks per se, but that the wear that was already there is enough for the synthetic to go through, but not the conventional.
you've known about it right, but have you spent time reading??

apparently not. you have been drilled with misinformed information...

just to help you get started...a oil's thickness is based on it's CST 100 number, not whether it is synthetic or dino.
TOO MUCH TORQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #18
copy
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 22
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

Hi again,
I just remembered that on a new car the rings wont seat if synthetic is used within the first 3000 miles. Only mineral oil will properly seat new rings. I guess the consequences of changing to synthetic before this mileage would be excessive oil loss from blowby.
I also heard they say now that you don't have to keep a new car below 50 miles per hour for the first 500 miles. I don't believe that you should drive faster than 50 for the 1st 500 miles, so don't buy into not doing that !
copy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #19
el crapitan
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,578
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post
When you switch from conventional oil to synthetic on an older car, it could start leaking in areas where the conventional oil was too thick to go through. It's not that the synthetic oil causes new leaks per se, but that the wear that was already there is enough for the synthetic to go through, but not the conventional.
i think you're having trouble grasping the concept of oil pour point, ie viscosity. an oil's viscosity is not discriminant of it's chemical make up.
a 10w30 conventional oil is the same viscosity as a 10w30 full synthetic. same pour points. they would both leak at the same rate
__________________
the richest ones are not those who have the most, but those who need the least

-bernhausen specialty automotive- BC's diesel truck headquarters
el crapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #20
el crapitan
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,578
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerN00b View Post
However, since Honda specified a 7,500 mile interval on conventional for the car, I'm not entirely sure I'd risk a longer one.
pretty sure that interval is outdated. conventional oils of today have a much higher level of detergents than they did in say the 90's and therefore must be changed more frequently
__________________
the richest ones are not those who have the most, but those who need the least

-bernhausen specialty automotive- BC's diesel truck headquarters
el crapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:10 AM   #21
TOO MUCH TORQUE
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
TOO MUCH TORQUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,947
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by el crapitan View Post
i think you're having trouble grasping the concept of oil pour point, ie viscosity. an oil's viscosity is not discriminant of it's chemical make up.
a 10w30 conventional oil is the same viscosity as a 10w30 full synthetic. same pour points. they would both leak at the same rate
there are also thin, medium, thick 10w-30 weights. it will be called a 10w-30 if it falls within a specified range. i think to be called a 10w-30, the 30 has to fall between roughly 9.8-12.5 CST @ 100C. So with that said, it wont all burn at the same rate.
TOO MUCH TORQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:15 AM   #22
vladd
Honda-Tech Member
2000 Acura Integra
My Garage
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,402
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealTegger View Post
No.
You sure do make a lot of deep, insightful posts around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO MUCH TORQUE View Post
you've known about it right, but have you spent time reading??

apparently not. you have been drilled with misinformed information...

just to help you get started...a oil's thickness is based on it's CST 100 number, not whether it is synthetic or dino.
I never said anything about how an oil's thickness is determined, so I'm not sure what your point is.
vladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:18 AM   #23
dc_jdm_dreams
Honda-Tech Member
1999 Acura Integra
My Garage
 
dc_jdm_dreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: somewhere in the great state
Posts: 282
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

You could go on and on about this topic. There is so much miss information out there about conventional vs. synthetic oils. With my experiences i have had cars that love the synthetic stuff like my RB25dett swapped 240sx, my current dc4, and my 2010 accord But i have also had cars that hated synthetic like my 240 with the ka24de motor in it, my old explorer, and my old suburban. And why this was IDK the only car that i knew why it hated it was in my 240sx.
dc_jdm_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:59 AM   #24
TheRealTegger
Honda-Tech Member
1991 Acura Integra
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 982
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO MUCH TORQUE View Post
there are also thin, medium, thick 10w-30 weights. it will be called a 10w-30 if it falls within a specified range. i think to be called a 10w-30, the 30 has to fall between roughly 9.8-12.5 CST @ 100C. So with that said, it wont all burn at the same rate.
Right. And an oil can fall anywhere within that range whether it's synthetic or mineral, so the burn-rate has nothing to do with synthetic or mineral.

Some people have a tendency to confuse symptoms and causes. Just because B follows A does not mean A caused B.

Last edited by TheRealTegger; 03-17-2012 at 09:21 AM.
TheRealTegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #25
el crapitan
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,578
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Synthetic oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO MUCH TORQUE View Post
there are also thin, medium, thick 10w-30 weights. it will be called a 10w-30 if it falls within a specified range. i think to be called a 10w-30, the 30 has to fall between roughly 9.8-12.5 CST @ 100C. So with that said, it wont all burn at the same rate.
well, to be fair, i did say leak not burn. but i get what you're saying. and it still means that there should be no discrimination between synthetic and conventional as far as it's consumption goes.
__________________
the richest ones are not those who have the most, but those who need the least

-bernhausen specialty automotive- BC's diesel truck headquarters
el crapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply

Tags
10, 30, full, gsr, half, honda, leaking, oil, synthetic, tech, trans

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:47 AM.



2008 Copyright, InternetBrands Inc.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Honda and the Honda marquee are registered trademarks of the American Honda Motor Company, Inc. Neither American Honda Motor Company nor its subsidiaries or affiliates shall bear any responsibility for Honda-Tech.com content, comments, or advertising. Honda-Tech.com is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Company in any way. American Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse Honda-Tech.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.
Emails & Contact Details