Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 Del Slo B20VTEC build thread [PICS]

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Icon7 94 Del Slo B20VTEC build thread [PICS]

Hey, this is my crvtec build thread. I had a 94 del sol vtec which some dumbass destroyed by running with no oil until a bearing spun and a rod snapped, firing chunks of hot metal out the side of the block. Making the best of things, I decided to save the B16A3 VTEC head, and rebuild the car with a B20 block.

For now I'm just trying to get a B20 running in my car so I can drive it around. Further down the road will be building up the motor and possibly supercharging it.

Welcome to the show.

The car was red when I bought it, I painted it black with rattle-cans and a few hours of work. Red was just a little too loud of a color for this car. Here is the car, where I towed it into a friend's yard after it died. It sat like this for 2 months.

I cut down the grass and used a hand-winch to pull it up onto the concrete slab.

I jacked the car up and built a structure around it to work on it out of the rain. It rains a lot on Maui.

I pulled the motor out by myself somehow, and examined the damage from the snapped rod.

Pulled off every single part and zip-loc'd them up in a waterproof container for later, except for this piston. I think I found my new door stop.

Head (wrapped in a towel), valve cover, cams, old pistons, intake manifold, and cam journals ready for cleaning and paint. (VC paintjob is low quality paint which melted and needs heat-paint.)

I hope my head wasn't damaged when the rod snapped.

That's all for now. Tonight I'll have pics of my bay as it sits now, Exedy clutch and ACT flywheel cleaned up, maybe a painted transmission depending how far I get.

Thanks for viewing!

Next up

- Wire tuck (maybe)
- Paint VC, head, tranny, intake manifold, engine bay
- Paint trunk to prevent rust (damn Del Slo trunks fill up with water...)
- Bodywork on 2 rust spots
- Find B20 block and collect parts

Last edited by Corksil; 01-24-2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: the honda gods made me do it....
Old 06-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 94 Del Slo B20VTEC build thread [PICS]

take the head to a machine shop and have it cleaned and magnafluxed. may as well have the deck checked at the same time.<<<<<<must do all>>>>>>>
if the head is all good then you will have yourself a pretty solid project.
have fun...have you found a b20 block yet?
adam
Old 06-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I hope to port and polish my head as well before building this motor. Going to deck the head as well and check for warps too. Hopefully hot-tank/steam clean it and paint the head silver as well so it's easier to clean in the future.

Naw I don't have a b20 block. When I get the money, I'm going to start calling junkyards/wrecking yards looking for totalled CRVs I can dry-hump for parts. Anyone have any better ideas where I might find a block? There are only 60k ppl on this tiny island, and shipping a block in from somewhere else would cost about 300 for shipping alone.

Heh, buffalo new york. I moved to maui from there. Little too much hail for my taste
Old 06-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

luckly im an hour south so we dont get it as bad as buffalo does. they get hit with the lake effect. we rarely get lake effect here. havnt seen hail of any mass in quite some time. id love to be in maui.
adam
Old 06-15-2010, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

update..

got the transmission 95% prepped for paint. with b!tch pin and shift linkage attached. took like 9 hours. simple green, scotch brite pads, and wire brushes. and acetone. and 3038 rags. and a half. muthafvcka is cleeeeaaaaannnn.

got the intake manifold prepped too. have paint for both, tomorrow they will be their new respected colors.

tomorrow the head gets cleaned and the valve cover gets prepped.

bought the paint for all parts and the car itself.

evidence of my old paint jobs on in the bay

evidence of a minor bump in the frame. will be pulled straight and re-bolted where it escaped from.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Into a del sol that is pretty cool sounding. Are you using the head from the motor in the engine or what? are you doing a complete build or going for mostly stock internals?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like a sweet project. I like your stucture, so maui like lol
Old 06-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The original motor was a stock b16a3 Del Slo VTEC motor. I destroyed it by driving with no oil. it spun a bearing, snapped a rod, and blew a hole in the front of the block.

As far as I can tell, the head is undamaged (YAY) so now my mission is to find a b20 block and slap it into my car with all my b16 parts (externals, p/s, a/c, dizzy, tranny, head/cams, alternator, etc.) Thus a CRVTEC will be born.

That's pretty far down the road tho, because money is tight.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You keeping it NA? You should just do a fully built B20v
Old 06-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NA all the way.

Break for eggrolls. The transmission/valve cover/spark plug cover/tie bar/intake manifold are fully prepped for paint. If the wind dies (not likely) I'll paint today. Now it's time to burn one and get back to scrubbing down the other half of the bay.

Industrial strength paint stripper burns the skin btw, for all those who didn't know.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I recommend a local junk yard for the block, or check frequently on craigslist. i was lucky to look at the post right as he finished his thread.

It came with the head and block without the IM. But hey, i dont need it

the guy that had it before me had no idea what he was doing. If he kept it in there much longer the head wouldve been shot. everything was loose.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

- Update -
got the transmission painte
got the intake manifold painted
got the tie bar painted
got the valve cover painted
got the spark plug cover painted

transmission will dry overnight and get a basic cure with heatgun tomorrow once paint has fully flashed off and hardened to the tranny.

the intake manifold is now a bright chrome. it's so sweet that it hovers in an anti-gravity field above my workbench. pic up tomorrow.

tie bar in my car, pic tomorrow. paint stripping off old black to find perfect metal underneath :D

valve cover took 3 rounds of stripping and scrubbing.

valve cover is done except for curing and sanding the lettering back to silver.

spark plug cover is still curing with wrinkle paint.

products i used. lots of simple green and scrubbing to get things clean enough to scotch-brite/sand/paint.

side notes.....
just fyi, in case this isn't common knowledge. paint stripper will burn your skin ferociously. i made an impression on the new neighbors by running across the yard -four- times. Each time i was screaming like a little girl getting attacked by bees while tearing my clothing off and looking for the end of the hose to neutralize the acid.

tomorrow i finish sanding the bay, paint more stuffs. dunno yet, sleeping in.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice job the paint on the tranny is clean!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sliiiiced
I recommend a local junk yard for the block, or check frequently on craigslist. i was lucky to look at the post right as he finished his thread.

It came with the head and block without the IM. But hey, i dont need it

the guy that had it before me had no idea what he was doing. If he kept it in there much longer the head wouldve been shot. everything was loose.
yeh, i've been watching craigslist and a few potential motors have surfaced, but I honestly don't have the cash to jump on a perfect deal right now so i generally avoid the hassle of looking. i have all the b-series externals from my b16a3, and the head is sitting across the room from me. tomorrow i might check out that head-rebuilding faq and take all of it apart for simple greening, assembly lube, specification checking, and all that fun stuff. hopefully after that she won't be in 'long-term' storage :S

if i got a job instead of working on my car all day, i'd have $ for the parts i need to finish the project. i'd rather hit a stalling point on the project before hittin the streets for work tho. *eats ramen*

to the other poster, hey thanks for the props man that means a lot.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

update.

things i have painted so far..
-tie bar
-intake manifold
-spark plug cover
- valve cover
- transmission
- prime bay

things to paint..
-final bay coat
- trunk prime/paint
- hood/trunk lid

my magical paintgun that also shoots lasers and blueberries.

too small of an air compressor for that spray gun. if your compressor is this size, expect to spend 90% of the time waiting for the compressor to pressurize. not good for smooth even paint coats.

bay sanded, cleaned, primed, and awaiting primer/rush treatment.

primed bay :D

another angle if that wasn't enough.

side notes. if you're following footsteps, get an air compressor that's atleast 20 gallons. you also need a water catchment valve for removing condensation. thin your paint appropriately (wetter than you think.) be sure to chill beer before spraying. tape down your rags so they don't blow and stick in the fresh paints acetone wipe prior to paint, then no finger oils even contact the surface.

oh and i installed ES steering rack bushings.

tomorrow...
-paint bay heart-stopping red
-clean and prime trunk
-demask bay (including all hardlines )
-sand honda/dohc/vtec lettering off valve cover
-re loom and tape harnesses. cable ties and self-tapping screws
-save the world

til next time. peace.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice progress, bro. What kind of pistons are you gonna be running in the car?
Old 06-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

great progress man. I need to find me a car to put mine in. or put it in my ej8.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

another update..

looks like i've straightened the frame back to where it should be and bolted it into place. makes me wonder what sick soul would crash a honda.... it's downright sacreligious.

finally gotten the bay painted it's delightful glossy candy red. next up, demask all the hardlines and the brake master cylinder. Demasking the hardlines is gonna be fun, paintgodwarrior sure did a number on these *****...

look at this sexy gloss red... so shiny and delightful it's practically liquid. but that defies the laws of physics.... or does it? glass is technically a liquid that vibrates at a very low frequency (too low to see movement.)

just as I finish painting my bay, the rain moves in (as it always does in maui, right on schedule to fVck with my paint drying process. Atleast I have a nice double rainbow with the moon to stare at while I stress about my new paintjob...

next up, demask the entire bay including all the hardlines. this will be fun. then start reinstalling all components and prepping the bay for it's new B20vtec. CRVTEC ftw.... *puts on his CRVTEC t-shirt and dry humps his chassis*

stay tuned ya'll.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

btw... that's not the moon you see. it's rain on the camera. And you can barely see the second rainbow above the other one on film. It was quite obvious when I saw it.

Oh well, guess you have to live in maui to appreciate it's magical beauty... B!TCHES!!!11!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump keep up the good work.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice, i wish i had some free time to work on my car, keep us updated.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just got to my car's home. in it's little shack buried in the tropical grasses. i can't get to work until my coffee is done, so I'll post up some pictures of the company my car hangs with when I'm not around. I keep telling her to get higher-quality friends...

FIELD GUIDE TO THINGS THAT SUCK
- Centipede. These fVckers get to be about a foot long. This is just a little one. The biggest ones mostly come out at night... mostly.

- Cane spider. These furry little critters would be cute and lovable, and I would have some as pets.. if they weren't 5 inches across. This one has an egg sac, which will yield about 200 more of these adorable little spiders. Maybe I'll catch some little ones for pets.

- Cockroach. I wonder what would happen if a cockroach fought a sewer rat. I think the cockroach would win, because cockroaches shoot lasers out of their antennae. No joke. Actual size.

-Black Panther. Found only deep in the bush, these big cats weigh in at about 600lbs. This mammal is about 6 feet from the ground to the top of it's head and has massive sharp claws and teeth. It's a ferocious beast, I carry a spray bottle full of water to repel them when I find them. They hate being squirted in the face, aim for the eyes for best results. They also spit acid, from their eyes.

- Rhinoceros. These ginormous mammals trundle about in the hawaiian grasses looking for creatures to spear with their horns. I have encountered 13 in my life, and escaped each time (mostly) unscathed. Rhinoceri are extremely horny. Female rhinoceros noises and ventriloquism come in handy for rhinoceri encounters. Their hide is bullet proof titanium anyways.

This concludes my guide to pests in Hawaii. These are only the most common, others include the woolly mammoth, 30ft snakes, ligers, centaurs, and the occasional fire-breathing penguin (they aren't flightless birds anymore btw.) Stay tuned.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

update..

the engine bay still looks a little tacky due to the rain last night but nothing is damaged. I will be cleaning, priming, and painting the trunk next, to give extra drying time for the hood.

Next up..
- clean each B-series external (powersteering pumps, a/c compressors, paint cruise control/alternator etc.)
- Fix minor rust holes in quarter panels (damn plugged drains)
- Remove hood for cleaning, paint
- Remove trunklid for cleaning, paint
- Remove targa top for cleaning, paint
- Begin prepping body for finish paint (flat black paint has been bought)
- Mount right mid-bass speaker in the door (all others have been installed.
- Plan controlled area lighting system
- Plan locking trunk hidden stash boxes and acquire materials

Catch ya'll laters.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice man nice... I'll be picking up a CRX to drop my Crvtec into in a few days! i love the weight they have and the feel of the car. Although swapping in a b series will be a bit more work but hey. I have time.

Good luck on finding the bottom end! Where could i buy/rent a spray gun to paint the bay?
Old 06-24-2010, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Corksil
I keep telling her to get higher-quality friends...

FIELD GUIDE TO THINGS THAT SUCK
- Centipede.
- Cane spider.
- Cockroach...because cockroaches shoot lasers out of their antennae. No joke. Actual size.
-Black Panther. I carry a spray bottle full of water to repel them when I find them. They hate being squirted in the face, aim for the eyes for best results.
- Rhinoceros. Rhinoceri are extremely horny. Female rhinoceros noises and ventriloquism come in handy for rhinoceri encounters.

This concludes my guide to pests in Hawaii. These are only the most common, others include the woolly mammoth, 30ft snakes, ligers, centaurs, and the occasional fire-breathing penguin (they aren't flightless birds anymore btw.) Stay tuned.
****KKIN LOL'D! im so jealous you're in maui. where do you work?

Quick Reply: 94 Del Slo B20VTEC build thread [PICS]