Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

'05 EXv6 Transmission slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 '05 EXv6 Transmission slipping?

Hey all,

I bought a 2005 EX V6 sedan last summer with around 80K miles on it. I now have 90K and over the last 6-8 months I have noticed the transmission doing strange things when shifting between gears. The RPM revs about 500 rpm over when going from 2nd to 3rd gear. The other gears do it slightly but not nearly as bad.

I had the $99 transmission service at a jiffy-lube type place a few weeks ago and nothing changed.

Any idea what could be going wrong?

Last edited by Schlag96; 03-25-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:05 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: '05 EXv6 Transmission slipping?

take it to Honda, shell out $3400-4000 and get a new reman. tranny unless the wish to warranty it somewhat.

Known issues with the 98-05 V6 transissions in the Oddessey and Accord
Old 03-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mista Bone
take it to Honda, shell out $3400-4000 and get a new reman. tranny unless the wish to warranty it somewhat.

Known issues with the 98-05 V6 transissions in the Oddessey and Accord
From what I'm reading they took care of the people with earlier year models in the settlement but my year gets nothing.

So I just got screwed buying this car, eh?
Old 03-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Schlag96
So I just got screwed buying this car, eh?
Pretty much yeah, those transmissions were junk, don't even think about trying to find a good used one, they just don't exist.

Btw, not that it really would have mattered at this point anyway, but generally speaking do not powerflush a Honda transmission, it tends to kill them.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Pretty much yeah, those transmissions were junk, don't even think about trying to find a good used one, they just don't exist.

Btw, not that it really would have mattered at this point anyway, but generally speaking do not powerflush a Honda transmission, it tends to kill them.
So it's not even worth replacing the tranny with a rebuilt one? Should we just junk our otherwise good cars? My '03 is also 'flaring' between 2nd and 3rd gear so like the OP, I think I'm due for a tranny change. I have 181K miles though.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by amagbanua
So it's not even worth replacing the tranny with a rebuilt one?
That's not what I said. A remaned/rebuilt unit is fine (although they still suffer from the same design flaws as the originals). But a used junkyard transmission isn't worth the gamble.

Should we just junk our otherwise good cars?
That's your call, if the car is still otherwise in great shape then it's probably worth the expense of putting in a rebuilt unit. There's also a fair number of people that have swapped in a newer 6 speed manual that basically eliminates the chance of future transmission issues.

My '03 is also 'flaring' between 2nd and 3rd gear so like the OP, I think I'm due for a tranny change. I have 181K miles though.
The 3rd gear clutch pack is probably toast. I rebuilt an '03 TL transmission for someone last summer, they're very similar. 3rd gear clutch pack was absolutely destroyed. The only part of it I was able to reuse was the outer drum.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So it's possible to put in a manual? I would LOVE to do that. How much would that cost?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Seagull Management

So it's possible to put in a manual?
Yes, it's been done before, more than once.

I would LOVE to do that. How much would that cost?
It depends a lot on what it costs you to source the parts, and what the labor happens to cost you.

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...sion-done.html
Old 03-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
The 3rd gear clutch pack is probably toast. I rebuilt an '03 TL transmission for someone last summer, they're very similar. 3rd gear clutch pack was absolutely destroyed. The only part of it I was able to reuse was the outer drum.
So assuming this is what's wrong with mine, is that a total rebuild for the tranny? How much will that cost me? Assuming the actual parts are a few hundred bucks it's mostly labor right? Is this something I could do myself? I am an engineer and I have access to the auto hobby shop on base where I work. I'm very handy and would have all the tools I need. Or is a transmission rebuild something that requires alot of experience and finesse?
Old 03-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Seagull Management

So assuming this is what's wrong with mine, is that a total rebuild for the tranny? How much will that cost me? Assuming the actual parts are a few hundred bucks it's mostly labor right? Is this something I could do myself? I am an engineer and I have access to the auto hobby shop on base where I work. I'm very handy and would have all the tools I need. Or is a transmission rebuild something that requires alot of experience and finesse?
IIRC we were about $1700 deep in parts when it was all said and done. We had the torque converter remaned at the same time and I think that was in that $1700. Here's the thing, you'll need the complete rebuild kit (you can buy these from a transmission shop) but then you'll need to buy the stuff for the third gear clutch pack directly from Honda, or most of it anyway. (the frictions and steels as well as the O-rings are part of the rebuild kit, the bearings, spring and some special washers aren't) Some of those parts are pretty pricey. It should be a bit less for you though, Canadian prices are a lot higher.

I had a lot of expirence rebuilding Honda manual transmission, but absolutely no expirence building any kind of automatic when I did this. I didn't even want to take it on, but I was eventually talked into it. I'm on extremely good terms with my local Honda dealer and they were nice enough to hook me up with parts of the service manual (you NEED this stuff) as well as lending me the honda tool to get the clutch packs apart. I cheated a bit when I did this in that I didn't take the valve body apart. I probably should have but the failure was caught pretty early and there really didn't seem to much dirt floating around. All that said I think the transmission has been in long enough at this point to be declared a success. Other that the aformentioned clutch pack tool and some big sockets (34mm IIRC) you don't need too much in the way of specialty tools. If you're particularly handy you might not find this too bad. I don't know, I really don't want to make this sound easy, but it isn't rocket science either.