Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

JDM engine and transmission replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 07:00 PM
REK
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM engine and transmission replacement

ok so my engine had been giving me lots of trouble lately and it turn out to be the head gasket now my tranny is stopped working after I had it rebuilt only 2 years ago so now I'm thinking of getting a JDM engine and tranny so I don't keep any old problems and start fresh.

I have a civic 2001 EX 1.7 and was wondering if anyone knows any problems I may encounter replacing my oem engine and tranny with JDM.
Ive been reading and most problems I have read about (not particularly on my model) are sensors and solenoids on the tranny that I may need to transfer from my original to the JDM

anyways if anyone knows anything I need to look out for before committing to this please advise me so I can be ready
thank you guys for your help!!
Old 07-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM engine and transmission replacement

Im interested in this as well. subscribed.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:06 PM
REK
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by krisfnbs
Im interested in this as well. subscribed.
so far I've checked around and the only thing Ive heard is some sensors on the tranny need to to be replaced from your original to the jdm or they may give you a tc code (torque converter) but it will still run good other than that if you replace a d17a with equal 2001 to 2005 it plug and play :O yeah lets see bout that lol
Old 07-24-2014, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by REK
so far I've checked around and the only thing Ive heard is some sensors on the tranny need to to be replaced from your original to the jdm or they may give you a tc code (torque converter) but it will still run good other than that if you replace a d17a with equal 2001 to 2005 it plug and play :O yeah lets see bout that lol
so you cannot swap to a jdm d17a with the US transmission? You need to buy both the engine and transmission, and swap the sensors from the US transmission to the JDM?
Old 07-24-2014, 01:26 PM
REK
Honda-Tech Member

from what ive asked you can do it either way you can use your us tranny on jdm motor or visa-versa only thing I was told was you may get a check engine light on the torque converter for the JDM tranny havent ordered mine yet so if I do it before you Ill keep you updated
Im getting both jdm
Old 07-25-2014, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by REK
from what ive asked you can do it either way you can use your us tranny on jdm motor or visa-versa only thing I was told was you may get a check engine light on the torque converter for the JDM tranny havent ordered mine yet so if I do it before you Ill keep you updated
Im getting both jdm
if you end up doing both jdm, let me know, I would love to hear the info..

although I currently have a US EX tranny sitting around, needs rebuilt. I see the rebuild kit on ebay, could probably pay someone to do it for $300 or less. I would rather rebuild that one knowing it wouldnt throw any codes if I ever needed to swap it.

Im really more concerned about the engine swap. Complete VTEC motor swap for $400(potential issues), VS longblock rebuilt d17a2 for $800(all gaskets but no pump or timing belt or valve cover- straight drop in.)
Old 07-27-2014, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I really wanna know too cuz I have an d17a1 which runs hard (i guess its modded but dunno whats thea yet. Still a jdm 400$ 140hp engine swap sounds good!