Notices
Other Make Vehicles Nissan, Mitsubishi, Subaru, BMW, Audi, etc.

Honda Powered VW Rabbit

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Powered VW Rabbit

Alright, hello honda-tech people:D last fall as me and my friends were walking on my farm we went into are car junk yard and i was looking at all the cars that were there. not being in there ever i notcied there was a 1983 VW rabbit!!!!! at this time i was looking up probably one of my favorite builds of all time the k20 powerd VW rabbit truck!

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=83825
this is probably one of my all time favorite builds ever so i was extremely excited to find this beaut on my farm. so i decided to go talk to my uncle about his old rabbit and he said i could have it if i gave him a ride in it when i get it running so i was like well ok then!!! damn i will take that deal so here is my story about it. as time went by plans have change since this past fall, so here are my plans right now i either want to swap a k24/k20 in it what ever i can get cheaper when i get the money! or to swap a b18/b16/b20/b18 frankenstien **** haha i dont know... it all depends wether i have the money. so that is my plan so far here is how much i got acomplished so far.

its inclosure in its jungle of jagger bushes and weeds for i think 17 years!!!!!!

its mortal enemy....... the claws of DEATH!!!

from here on i couldnt get any pictures but i took a video and i uploaded it to yourtube here is the video. mostly just watch for the video dont pay attention to the part where i say its just a junker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKJ95...c6AUAAAAAAAAAA

the day we moved it
hhree is its garage for now its the best i can do it has no tools i had to buy all the tools i need to work on it and i have to borrow the rest so ya.... and it has no electicity lol i have to use lamps and extension chords

now comes the fun part the stripping of the interior!!

as i was checking evrything out i deicded to dry the carpet out as best as i could

so as i work more and more on these cars i noticed that these cars are so simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

out came the seats with friends help lol it got a little hard prying of the rusty bolts i inlisted some help then! i forgot to bring my phone the next time i got to work on the car so what i acomplished when my ohone was not with me
~got the interior completely striped out
~got the hatch opened
~striped some bolts
~make that many bolts lol
but yeah thats about it for now more updates latter please comment what you think about the build i plan on useing this car as a senior project i am still in highschool so rememeber its a budget thing but i plan on at least getting it running with a engine in it by senior year i am just in 10th now so yay... hopefully i will get the money to do the swap
Old 02-29-2012, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Powered VW Rabbit

cool man!
Old 03-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome... keep up the good work! Can you run stock axles, or custom?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that truck is very nice.
on the build.
and i love rabbits...i need to find an 87
Old 03-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do it...Please don't give up...
Old 03-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome, keep going!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:56 PM
The Boot

do me a favor...leave the exterior as is! sweet find.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i will be leaveing the extior the same if i can find aa cheap zender spoiler then i will put that on. but all together it will look stock i am takeing of the bumpers tho and i am not giving up i promise lol i am puting up the engine today on craiglist to see what offers i can get
Old 03-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95civhb
awesome... keep up the good work! Can you run stock axles, or custom?
here is a picture of the axles he did in his truck
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=3&theater
i might get them made by the drive shaft shop it just depends on the prices i can imagine that the guy just put two and two together aand created them because he is a welder in all so idk i have to get in contact with the guy some time and talk to him
Old 03-10-2012, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice.... keep it going
Old 03-10-2012, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lots to do...but you got time...dont rush and do things proper...you'll have a great story and a great car when your done...

Might want to consider joining vwvortex...some maine peeps in the regional forums on there and the mk1 forums to get some knowledge/help....
Old 03-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@recon23 i am located in PA the last time the car was registered was in pa but the plates are a maine plate.
and guys i will keep it going i promise!! one thing that has changed was that i will try and get the diesel engine running first then later on swap the k20 in it i passed up a amazing deal a week ago when i guy in virgina was selliing a k20 block and head and some parts with it for ...... $50!!!! doallars it did have vavletrain problem but i couold redo the head in all but man was that a good deal.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and BTW they will yell at me and hate me with the plans i have for the car..... just saying
Old 03-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

photo time!!!! i got more time to work on the car with my friend and brother this weekend it was mostly just a cleaning weekend we got it vaccumed out cleaned of with soe orange power stuff and a bottle of water and some elbow grease and this here is the outcome. we were going to try to start it but there was a dumba$$ who forgot to bring the keys over from his house who lives a county over from where the car sits. so ya we couldnt start it :/ so heres the out come.

more photos later
Old 03-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmmm. good luck.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Trial User

that is sick!
Old 03-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright sorry for the wait here is a more of update. it was geting to late last night to post pics so i might as well start to post them now while i have tim. the first thing we did to the car this weekend was jack it up on cinder blocks.

after that I vaccumed out the interior. but first of all from two times before me and my friend stripped out the interior so here are those results so far

most sounddeadining was removed ... sorta lol

headliner was removed.. with a big a$$ rats nest in it it was scary i hate them.
if you could tell from past pictures and the video you can clearly see that the windows were scummed up very badly. and all i needed was windex.. who would have new lol!!!! durp...

got to get new reverse light covers i know itis possible even tho people say its not because you would think it is the whole cover but no lol i found out when the reverse fell off and one was even missing. and anyone like my hatch stop?(golf club)

nice shot of semi clean winshield
next was the body for a semi clean to get some scum off

nice profile shot i think

roof looking ok. next is just some pictures of the rust assesment. here is the exhuast what it looks like. honestly that thing is ready to fall off. i plan to straight pipe it when i get the k20 if not just a muffler thats all.

DUN DUN DUN its the biggest hole in the car and its in the spare tire comparment. it shouldnt be to hard to fix. just think it was sitting in a field for 19 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

more of the HOLE

just underneath the rusty bucket.

here is the rear right tire and the just the suspension parts. looks like more and more money but i wont give up!!!

close up

the drivers side was a big problem i could not get it to move even with b p blaster or what ever its called.. and a hammer to!! it would not budge!!!!!! so i gave u haha give it another week to sit with the rust remover.

look at all that dirt that was in there for 19 years ..... sooo much and thats one tire

next was the engine bay i got it mostly ceaned up but i could not get it started because this guy forgot to bring his keys....

ohhhh here we go...

more rust lol i already found this but its worth showing

its directly under the battery tray that witch is rusted

look at the size of that brake booster!!!!!!!!!!!!!

number one emeny when starting the car is the diesel injection pump..

i have no idea what that is but i will find out soon
and that is it so far if any one wants to look at the comlete album here is the link i have many more pics availible ethier way i hope to get up this weekend again and get it started so for now its time to look up parts!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got a offer on the diesel injection pump.. $1000 yup... gonna buy me a k series motor lol i need help deciding witch k series to get i want it at least to have 200? hp if thats to much to ask then a k24 will do fine tell me what to look for an what to stay clear of. i now a little about k series so just say whats up and what i need to get along engine wise. like k24a4 or what i dont know you tell me.!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 02:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I suspect a k24 bottom end (not sure what spec) and a k20a (type s) head... check in with the all motor forum though.. I don't know my k's well at all..
Old 03-31-2012, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think there is a difference between not giving up and being smart about this car. There is a ton of rust, it'd almost be worth it to take that grand and go buy a better frame to work with. Good luck, and I hope all goes well if you decide to move forward and finish,this project.......but that is a ton of rust.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tuner Eddy
I think there is a difference between not giving up and being smart about this car. There is a ton of rust, it'd almost be worth it to take that grand and go buy a better frame to work with. Good luck, and I hope all goes well if you decide to move forward and finish,this project.......but that is a ton of rust.
I agree there is a lot of rust but not a lot at the same time you gotta think this car sat in a field for 19 years!!!! Ya I could get a better body but it wouldnt be the same I love it for the fact it is that color and it was my uncles and my grandpaws so I am kinda obligated to keep it up I am not looking for perfect perfection to be outa this car but I am gonna do it right fix it right and do what I need to do I am doing what ever I can to get this thing running and do what I need to do to swap that k24/k20 in it.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

times are tough yet i still am going threw with the build i have a job this summer and cant wait to get a engine in it!! i already have a list of parts i need and i can relatively find them cheap because of my thriftyness i will be hopefully able to get the diesel running then take it out and then start designing mounts. i still havent talked to nick wier yet about his truck.... i will get to that when the time comes for now all i can do is save up money and get the diesel running
Old 05-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Goodluck with your rabbit, seems like you have big plans for it, hope you keep the car and do the swap.! Keep us updated!!!!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Flattery Will Get You Everywhere

ufdah you have your hands full with this one. good luck
Old 05-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool!

Quick Reply: Honda Powered VW Rabbit