Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda CRX / EF Civic (1988-1991)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 02-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
88HATCH(:
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default hit brakes and car dies on b18a1

like the title says , i slow down or hit the brakes and my car dies out .. takes thirty seconds or so before i can start it again . if im not hitting the brakes my car runs like a rapped ape ..
hit the brakes and good bye . replaced all filters , dizzy , plugs and wires withing the past two weeks .
i have a fuel pressure gaugge and reads 40 psi at idle, so im assuming my fuel pump is in working condition.
any ideas ?
88HATCH(: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
KINGVEM^^ED6
Honda-Tech Member
1991 Honda Civic
My Garage

iTrader Rating: (1)
Default Re: hit brakes and car dies on b18a1

Main relay?
KINGVEM^^ED6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
88HATCH(:
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

already replaced my main relay
Old 02-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
incucivic
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

possibly a vaccuum leak at the brake booster...

if you are at a stop, with it running, can you make it kill by hitting the brake pedal? if so, then its the brake booster. my 88 was doing it really bad until i swapped in a GSR booster and master cylinder.

it didnt completely fix my problem though. it wont kill if im at a stop and pump the brakes, but it still kills sometimes when my fuel level is low and i come to a stop. i even went so far as to change the fuel pump and tank, because the old tank had tons of rust clogging up the tray around the fuel pump assembly. my guess is that the fuel is still splashing away and its losing fuel pressure for a second. i have no idea how im going to fix this. everything inside the fuel tank is brand new.
incucivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
zrickety
Honda-Tech Member
1991 Honda CRX

iTrader Rating: (1)
zrickety zrickety
Send a message via AIM to zrickety

I have a similar problem when shutting either door, the pump kicks off for a second. I don't know if a bad bump will shut it off, but I think it's a loose wire somewhere. I moved the car earlier to wash it, and then it wouldn't start at all. A minute later, it started.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
88HATCH(:
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

id check but unfortunatly ive discovered a pin hole leak in my head gasket .
Old 02-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
most_hated_crx
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by incucivic View Post
possibly a vaccuum leak at the brake booster...

if you are at a stop, with it running, can you make it kill by hitting the brake pedal? if so, then its the brake booster. my 88 was doing it really bad until i swapped in a GSR booster and master cylinder.

it didnt completely fix my problem though. it wont kill if im at a stop and pump the brakes, but it still kills sometimes when my fuel level is low and i come to a stop. i even went so far as to change the fuel pump and tank, because the old tank had tons of rust clogging up the tray around the fuel pump assembly. my guess is that the fuel is still splashing away and its losing fuel pressure for a second. i have no idea how im going to fix this. everything inside the fuel tank is brand new.
I'd do fuel lines, when I replaced mine, they were pretty bad to the say the least lol, unfortunately with cars as old as ours, these are common things we deal with.
most_hated_crx is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
2005, 88, b18a1, brake, brakes, breaks, car, crx, dies, element, hit, hitting, honda, si, time