Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Impact Wrench to Remove Crank Pulley Bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Impact Wrench to Remove Crank Pulley Bolt?

lol my cheater bar is indeed a steel pipe
Old 06-27-2012, 12:12 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by TouringAccord
I had a 1/2" Craftsman breaker bar and axle socket on the axle nut, used the handle from my jack and the drive twisted off the breaker bar. Returned the breaker bar and did it again
BTDT. Ended up going to a 3/4" drive and socket. That thing has gotten passed around a few times.

JONESER if you are popping sockets, either the sockets are crap, or you are applying too much torque too fast. Either use a breaker bar and gently bounce on it to break the bolt free, or stand on the bar and tap the socket with a hammer to loosen the bolt.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:12 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
BTDT. Ended up going to a 3/4" drive and socket.
Only had that problem that one time. Anything else I've ever used the 1/2" breaker bar on it has performed just fine so I don't see any reason to spend money on 3/4" drive stuff.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
BTDT. Ended up going to a 3/4" drive and socket. That thing has gotten passed around a few times.

JONESER if you are popping sockets, either the sockets are crap, or you are applying too much torque too fast. Either use a breaker bar and gently bounce on it to break the bolt free, or stand on the bar and tap the socket with a hammer to loosen the bolt.
I ended up getting a $9 Craftsman impact socket and a 25" breaker bar. It actually broke loose pretty easy once I had the right tools. Thanks again to Honda Tech & all of you for the advice. It's websites like this that make the world go 'round.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice work

some people have problems and have to torch it
Old 05-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Trial User

FIRST time I tried and got my answers right away. Best forum I have ever used. thanks...first time user, CAPTGOMEZUSMC
Old 08-13-2014, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I recently replaced the timing belt on my '05 Accord 3L V6. I had a three foot extension on a 2 foot breaker bar, with the hex holder wedged on the floor and still the bolt wouldn't budge. I was concerned about putting a torch to it and frankly couldn't see how expanding the bolt would do it in spite of testimonies that it will. It seemed that the answer was to freeze and contract it. So I tried spraying a small shot of liquid R-134A on the bolt. Probably less than one ounce of the stuff and then put the breaker bar on it. It came loose right away with only half the torque I'd been putting on it before. Releasing even a small amount of refrigerant like this would not be permitted in a commercial shop, mind you.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:51 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2135QPTi here ...but need the cfm to run it with a 3/4 inch hose. New from egay for 301.00
Old 08-13-2014, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mjkanejd
I was concerned about putting a torch to it and frankly couldn't see how expanding the bolt would do it in spite of testimonies that it will.
It works because the bolt isnt the only thing that gets heated and expands.....
Old 09-23-2017, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, can you give a little more details how to find your write up in faq? Or where is faq?

thanks
Old 09-23-2017, 06:39 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by jesshaines
Sorry, can you give a little more details how to find your write up in faq? Or where is faq?

thanks
3 yr old post. Please see grey highlighted areas at the top of the forum. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Has anyone tried the "heavy" (Lisle, and a few others) weighted 19MM socket? There are physics majors in other forums theorizing why that works...but a couple of videos on YouTube are pretty persuasive. For fun, in advance of my attacking the J30a1, I 'bulked-up' my 19MM with another pound of lead wrapped around it; we will see if the torque is better transferred to the bolt this way.

Stay tuned.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

if the engine rotates clockwise and i think the j series does, then the starter bump method can work as well
Old 01-22-2018, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by moapys
Has anyone tried the "heavy" (Lisle, and a few others) weighted 19MM socket?
Yes,they absoloutley work (didnt exist when this thread was created)

Ive taken off dozens of Honda crank bolts with it,using nothing more than a regular 1/2in impact(IR)

*** Im talking about the Lisle socket. Ive never used any other***
Old 01-22-2018, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good deal. I'll have the partz by the weekend, and share back my results of the poorman's Lisle, thereafter.

'Love the starter-bump idea, too; I'd completely forgotten that little trick from back-in-the-day. Seems that OEM starters are rated in the 200 #-ft range, but there may be gear-reduction magic that improves that. And, it's hard to beat for "pucker factor"!
Old 01-22-2018, 02:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Good deal. I'll have the partz by the weekend, and share back my results of the poorman's Lisle, thereafter.

'Love the starter-bump idea, too; I'd completely forgotten that little trick from back-in-the-day. Seems that OEM starters are rated in the 200 #-ft range, but there may be gear-reduction magic that improves that. And, it's hard to beat for "pucker factor"!
i actually tried this on my 06 civic and it didn't work but i don't think the crank bolt had ever been taken off before

so I can't be sure it will work, it might, it might not
Old 01-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I do it the simple way..shove a piece of vacuum hose down the cylinder with the piston semi down and just use this to lock up the engine...after bolt breaks loose back engine up a little and remove hose..done
Old 01-24-2018, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried the "heavy" (Lisle, and a few others) weighted 19MM socket? There are physics majors in other forums theorizing why that works...but a couple of videos on YouTube are pretty persuasive. For fun, in advance of my attacking the J30a1, I 'bulked-up' my 19MM with another pound of lead wrapped around it; we will see if the torque is better transferred to the bolt this way.

Stay tuned.
Yes it indeed works.
I have used it along with this:
https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-ma...kit-63537.html
Old 01-24-2018, 01:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by hondaslave1342
I do it the simple way..shove a piece of vacuum hose down the cylinder with the piston semi down and just use this to lock up the engine...after bolt breaks loose back engine up a little and remove hose..done
can you elaborate on this further ?
Old 01-24-2018, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
can you elaborate on this further ?
sure..once you have engine timed on #1 cylinder you remove the spark plug..using the crank bolt move the crank clockwise around 1/2 turn..now #1 cylinder piston has ropm to shove the hose in..feed as much as you can in..i use a screwdriver to cram it in..now using the crank bolt again rotate the engine counterclockwise and the piston will come up and lock the engine because its compressing the vacuum hose..using a extension to get past the fender and a jackstand to rest the extension plus a breaker bar..fence post..anything to get leverage..you can now break the bolt loose..just back engine clockwise a touch and remove hose..set back to #1 tdc..Done..keeps you from having to buy crank holder tool..THIS WILL NOT HURT YOUR ENGINE..done it too many time to count..
Old 01-24-2018, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Impact Wrench to Remove Crank Pulley Bolt? (wadded hose trick)

Ingenious; a rubber-stopper against which the piston can safely mash! This cheapskate will be using that tactic, if the lead-laden impact socket doesn't make it yield.

While I generally welcome the "excuse" to buy tools, having to buy a specialty holder - not to be used again for several years - is pretty hard to justify. Thx for sharing that tip!

Last edited by moapys; 01-24-2018 at 04:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-24-2018, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use it all the time..especially in the junk yard to remove drive plates..flywheels..etc..i usually just ****** off some vacuum hose and stuff it in a cylinder..when i do timing belts on Honda's it works everytime..
Old 01-24-2018, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You know - 'not to beat this notion to death, but - in concert with the "safe cylinder block" approach above, another trick (from frozen wheel lugs) comes to mind:

With CARE, (using your "good" floor jack...the one you can control easily) raise the car up sufficiently to wedge the cheater bar in the correct orientation, then lower it back down such that the weight of the car does the work. I have used this on rusted lug nuts, and with a gentle lowering to effect the desired CCW rotation; a ton+gravity beats sore muscles and hernias every time.

Man, I love this board. It only lacks having a beer at the bar while sharing - 'maybe someday with virtual-reality ;-)
Old 01-24-2018, 10:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

even as its just vacuum hose, i cant say that i would want to risk scoring the cylinder wall
Old 01-25-2018, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JONESER
I bought the holding tool, got a couple big breaker bars & I have broken 4 sockets already! One Craftsmen, one impact socket & two that were rusty... LOL
Seriously though, I'm getting pretty pissed that I cant get this thing loose. I have to go buy a new impact socket now & I swear that if it breaks, I'm breaking windows or something!! Anyone suggest a certain socket or somewhere that has a strong socket? Harbor Freight?
i just went to the pawn shop and got a air impact socket..i kept breaking them too..air tools are way thicker walled..$2..

Quick Reply: Impact Wrench to Remove Crank Pulley Bolt?