Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

Transmission Leak

Old 01-23-2012, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Leak

I'm only posting this to see if any other members have experienced transmission leaks in 1989 Honda Accords (3rd Gen. Auto Trans.) I own one and after getting my CV axles replaced about a month ago, my tranny is leaking and I am driving it easy and filling the fluid if needed.

My shade-tree mechanic neighbor and I believe it to be a seal leak, which does seem most likely and since he doesn't have a lift or works much on transverse engines I am having it checked at my town mechanic this Wednesday with an estimate free of charge.

I am worried about the price because I can tell that with the s**t load of vacuum lines and tight spots under the hood that disassembly is a difficult and time/hr/$$$ consuming process
Old 01-24-2012, 01:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission Leak

should just be an axle seal leak. i've been having this on my daily 91 Si since april. :D you may want to pull the axle that is leaking and check to see if it has an burrs that cut the seal otherwise, you'll be like me, and when you put the new seal in it will just get cut again. i just bought a new axle and a new seal and am going to do it this weekend. seal was $5 from honda. i bought two aftermarket ones and they are both "going the wrong way" as they are directional. make sure to use a little grease on the seal when inserting the axles, this will help it not tear. the honda one comes with grease already on the seal. good luck.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by E-AT_me
should just be an axle seal leak. i've been having this on my daily 91 Si since april. :D you may want to pull the axle that is leaking and check to see if it has an burrs that cut the seal otherwise, you'll be like me, and when you put the new seal in it will just get cut again. i just bought a new axle and a new seal and am going to do it this weekend. seal was $5 from honda. i bought two aftermarket ones and they are both "going the wrong way" as they are directional. make sure to use a little grease on the seal when inserting the axles, this will help it not tear. the honda one comes with grease already on the seal. good luck.
Question, are the CV axles supposed to be flush against the transmission casing?
Because mine seem to be maybe a half inch or less sticking out (the skinny part before it widens alot) and I'm sure I got the right size axles.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

shouldn't be that much. just enough to get a flathead screwdriver between the axle and casing. try re-seating the circlip/axle if you can..
Old 01-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by E-AT_me
shouldn't be that much. just enough to get a flathead screwdriver between the axle and casing. try re-seating the circlip/axle if you can..
My mechanic looked at it and you were right on the money passenger side axle seal leak, said it was gonna be 100-125 bucks and he'd check the other axle make sure there seated correctly and that's not a bad price so I'll be getting it fixed soon but thanks