Tune Up - When to change Distributor Cap & Rotor

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tune Up - When to change Distributor Cap & Rotor

Originally Posted by MACH 7
yes serious its a honda not a 79 dodge

wells the last time you heard a honda going 250 to 300 thousand probly not too long ago its not a uncommon thing to find a honda with thosekind of miles still sporting the og wires and caps

the damb cars last
I agree...damb cars!

I personally don't like to take off my original equipment to put in the cheap chit they sell us at the damb auto parts store. If the caps electrodes are not worn out....then leave it alone. Double goes for the wires.

If you have a problem with the car then troubleshoot it correctly and you'll discover the true gremlin without having to throw away your money and damb best original parts not needing replacing.

Sometimes u can even just scuff up the electrodes and they will be like new.

Newer stuff is cheaper plastic molding or chitty electrodes....its the modern replacements that only last 30K miles...so think twice before scrapping oem parts for any vehicle. I cant tell u how many times Ive kept the oem part and had a newer part fail shortly after discovering that was not the problem and have had to slap back the original one in. Just ask my shed.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just hit 261K last week! I was thinking about cleaning my EGR ports with Brake cleaner or something. Also, I heard about Seafoam. Does that stuff work?
Old 09-13-2012, 10:57 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're going to remove the intake manifold to clean out the ports and you're sure you're going to be cleaning that brake cleaner out really good I guess no big deal, but if you're going to be doing a half hazard job and not pulling the intake manifold off the car to do it right just stick with carb cleaner. Brake cleaner isn't exactly combustible. Seafoam in the intake is really only used when you want to try to get the intake manifold without pulling it.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
If you're going to remove the intake manifold to clean out the ports and you're sure you're going to be cleaning that brake cleaner out really good I guess no big deal, but if you're going to be doing a half hazard job and not pulling the intake manifold off the car to do it right just stick with carb cleaner. Brake cleaner isn't exactly combustible. Seafoam in the intake is really only used when you want to try to get the intake manifold without pulling it.
It sounds like Seafoam is the lazy way of cleaning out your intake huh? Do you know if it works nearly as close as taking the manifold off the engine? I've never tried it before and I'm considering it since I barely have time to work on my car nowadays.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:29 AM
Trial User

I have 145k on my 2001 Accord and I never even inspected distributor, car still purrs and I still have the original wires. I replaced my plugs at 120k and cleaned my throttle body and IAG valve at 135K. I will replaced wires, dist, and rotor when the car starts to miss or fails to start. I had a 84' Prelude that never needed a distributor or rotor changed... 25 years.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:24 AM
Trial User

Icon2 Re: Tune Up - When to change Distributor Cap & Rotor

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
You can not be serious.
I have a 2001 CRV with 200,000 and I never replaced the distributor cap nor the wires!!
Old 07-06-2017, 01:28 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by MACH 7
every 250 to 300 thousand miles
I have a 2001 CRV with 200,000 miles and never changed the distributor cap nor the wires!!
Old 10-25-2020, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon4 Re: Tune Up - When to change Distributor Cap & Rotor

Old Thread Revival! 96 Honda Accord EX 2.2 VTEC 250k miles on original spark wire cap rotor.
Car is finally a bit hard to cold start, maybe time for a new cap! Probably have to special order from Dealer.
After Cap maybe replace rotor, fuel filter, check spark wire & fuel pump, and then cylinder compression? Am I missing anything?

Car runs fine after it starts BTW. Already had main relay replaced.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts

Spark gap is now probably a mile long so your cap/rotor/plugs/wire will be a welcome imrpovement to the car.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 99stockcivic
Spark gap is now probably a mile long so your cap/rotor/plugs/wire will be a welcome imrpovement to the car.
Thanks! Yes I forgot to mention the engine recently got a new set of plugs. Had the car since 96' and it probably is still on its original transmission fluid too! Damn near indestructible (knock on wood).