Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

jdm gsr not shifting in smooth and misses shift please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: jdm gsr not shifting in smooth and misses shift please help

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Take it back to the guy who rebuilt it for you, and have him look at it again. There are specifications for the clearance of the shift forks, gears, syncros...every little tiny bit and piece has a specification is is supposed to be within. Not shifting into 4th still sounds like the shift fork is out of spec. If you ask him if he checked the specs on the shift forks and he acts like he doesn't know what you're talking about, chances are you should find a new transmission guy. Will it go into 5th?

FUBAR bushings wouldn't stop it from shifting into gear at all - it would just make shifting feel mushy as hell.
Okay I called my friend and he said he did checked if everything was in spec on the input and output shaft and he said if he put the selector shaft assembly in wrong he wouldn't have been able to put the case back on, so that should be good. What he said he thinks the problem is the shift linkage/bushing is worn or loose (which I ordered and is on the way), also he said if the extension cushion bushing is extremely worn the f** up it cause be the cause of why it won't shift into gear or other parts or loose/worn and must be tighten.. and if its the tranny, the shift forks out of spec, like you said...lol The only thing I can do now is pray and hope its just those bushing. He also said I shouldn't be driving it around because if it is the shift forks, if their not going in correctly I could jack up the syncros or could just be in gear but only half way or barely in....and guess what? I WAS driving it!!! idiot Idiot IDIOT!! face-palm face-palm face-palm -_- I'll let yeah know how it goes when I replace the bushing and inspect the linkage again I hope I didnt jack up syncros...FACE-PALM smh....lol
Old 01-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL I dont know either lol....They could come in handy. Thank you for the diagrams!! your like a god to me right now lol
Old 01-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you could also remove the shift linkage and manually engage the trans into gear using a screw driver. thats what i did before i put my rebuilt trans back into the car. go into each gear and spin the wheels.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My tranny does the same thing sometimes damn
Old 01-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ef yu
you could also remove the shift linkage and manually engage the trans into gear using a screw driver. thats what i did before i put my rebuilt trans back into the car. go into each gear and spin the wheels.
Good idea...I'll try that when I get the bushing lol
Old 01-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its the transmission, ****.....my.....life...........I'm gonna drop it sometime this week, sigh -_- .....
Old 02-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update I put the new bushing on and still the same, loose shifter and wont into gear 4th and reverse. I drop the transmission but got the service Manuel for a 1997 gsr and give t to my friend to look over. He said he is goin to rip it up on tmr, I'll let you guys know what happens when I get it back and pop it back in.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, shift fork. The stick is still sloppy though? That's odd, if you replaced the bushings correctly.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Yeah, shift fork. The stick is still sloppy though? That's odd, if you replaced the bushings correctly.
yeah I'm sure I put it in right lol I pop the tranny back in, It WORKS!! Turns out the trans had three wrong bolts in it and it was loose as ****! That's on the shift selector that hooks up to the shift fork lol My friend caught it can but the right bolts in. I'm lucky as **** the bolt didn't come off when i was driving it before and float around and f*** **** up lol but another thing i found was that I'm missing thrust washer underneath the car on the shift linkage, Imma get those and put em on. so no more loose shifter and goes in all gear smooth lol other the that found out that the wobbling of the car wasn't the axles but the alinement cause when I drop the jdm gsr tranny in its heavy as **** and droped my front end so i just lowered the back end to level the car but that must of threw the alinement off and bad wheel bearings. So still need a idle air control valve, new wheel bearing, camber kit, do my wheel alinement and get my valve clearance adjusted but I got it from here LOL But Thanks alot for your help, learn alot! lol Thanks bro!
Old 02-06-2012, 02:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for helping out guys! I wish I could show you guys my project but idk how to post pictures up here....lol but thanks, you guys helped BIG TIME!
Old 02-06-2012, 02:50 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rules, Thread Titles, Car Information, and Picture Posting in this Technical Forum

You'll find how to do it there.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:07 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just read over this thread very briefly, if the sloppyness is not fixed by new bushings then it may be the springs inside the transmission that give the shifter that "resistance" when moving it left and right.