Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

About time for my build thread I suppose.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default About time for my build thread I suppose.

Well, a couple months ago I bought my first CR-V, though not my first honda. Ive had 3 civics, a 94 coupe with a h23avtec swap that I completely built from bottom to top, a 94 hatch and a 95 sedan. Ive also owned 3 accords, a 91 and 92 EXR and a 94 LX. Anyways, back to the V. Its a 1998 AWD 5 speed standard, and she looked a little like this when I got her :

I got it for a steal of a deal. 26xxxx KM's (im canadian, thats about 165,000 miles), stick, and awd, and I got it for it only 340$! He was asking 1500! haha. Basically he changed the clutch line but had no idea how to bleed it. He had been trying to sell it for awhile but no one wants a vehicle that cant be driven away. He was advertising it as needing a new clutch. So, 340$ later i tow it home (5 minutes away), bleed the clutch line, and drive it around the yard. Drives great! The exhaust had a bit of a leak and it needed a tie rod. When i was bringing it in for cert, knowing it needed that but too lazy to throw it on the hoist to see exactly what it needed myself, the exhaust fell right off behind the cat. So i bring it in for cert anyways, and low and behold, all it needs is the tie rod and the exhaust fixed. Instead of patching the exhaust like any normal person would do, i fabbed up my own 3" cat back. I plan on soon buying a 3" cat and making it from there back. Normally i would have went with a smaller pipe, but i plan on going turbo in the future with a built motor, but ill get to that later. Something that really bothered me was the missing clutch petal rubber. A visit to my local honda fixed that :

While i was there they had a window visor kit for 40$ and i talked them down to 30$, haha. Couldnt pass that one up. I couldnt stand not having HID's, so i got a 5000K kit, here she is

I didnt realise how blue the 5000ks were, and replaced them with 4300k, as i love the pure white of them. Next up was christmas, this was my favorite card

When i first made up my 3" exhaust i was missing one bend, and in order to make it complete i had to make it sit REALLY low for awhile, and that sucked. These are some pics of after i fixed it.

Notice the exhaust is on the opposite side as the stock exhaust. The stock exhaust runs under the driveshaft, and thats just not possible with 3". As you can see in the previous pictures, my suspension left something to be desired. The front springs were both broken and my rears sag worse than 90 year old *******. To remedy this problem, i picked up some skunk2 accord sleeve type coil overs and some kyb gr2 dampeners. The rear can go down a LOT, the front is all the way down.

And that leaves me off as to where i am today. Some not so distant future mods are

Bronze rims
Brozne emblems
brozen grill surround
Nite-Shade tail lights (tinted, not black)
Colour matched bumpers
blacked out headlights

Some mods that are planned for the summer/fall are

B18c of some type
bore to b20c
eagle rods
je pistons
ARP main, rod, and head studs
cometic headgasket
brian crower/skunk 2 valve tran
t4 turbo
honda oem rod/crank bearings
ported head
1mm oversized valves
ect.

We'll see how she goes. I welcome any comments/concerns. Thanks for watching.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: About time for my build thread I suppose.

Oh yeah, i put in my prelude leather heated seats as well as a double din deck. I havent taken pics of these as my interior is incredibly messy.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

124 views with no replies? lol
Old 01-09-2012, 04:01 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like me, you, and "fast2camciv" are all after the same thing. Plus, we all have 1998 5-Speed RT4WDs... The only difference between us is that I am the only one who has a running turbo vehicle haha. I am sure I can speak on his behalf - We welcome the friendly competition.

Good Luck - and hopefully you accomplish your goals (which are what by the way?). What are you building the CRV for exactly?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im currently building my new motor. benson sleeved b16 bored out to 84.5mm. will be just over 1.8l of displacement but will rev to the moon. 8.5:1 comp pistons and eagle rods. i will be using the gsr head i have on my stock b20 right now. it has type r cams and skunk 2 valve springs/retainers. jg edelbrock victor x intake mani and 70mm tbody.
all this will be accompanied be a sc61 i have had kicking around for a while. i figure somewhere in the neighbourhood of 400-450hp on pump. will be adding a water meth setup for high boost application
Old 01-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
Looks like me, you, and "fast2camciv" are all after the same thing. Plus, we all have 1998 5-Speed RT4WDs... The only difference between us is that I am the only one who has a running turbo vehicle haha. I am sure I can speak on his behalf - We welcome the friendly competition.

Good Luck - and hopefully you accomplish your goals (which are what by the way?). What are you building the CRV for exactly?
Well, youre the only one turbo RIGHT NOW, haha. I dont really have any real goals except for bringing it down the 1/4 and seeing what its got. Thanks though! kinda funny that we all have 98's. My buddy in town has a Silver 98 RT4WD. haha.

Originally Posted by ihaterust
im currently building my new motor. benson sleeved b16 bored out to 84.5mm. will be just over 1.8l of displacement but will rev to the moon. 8.5:1 comp pistons and eagle rods. i will be using the gsr head i have on my stock b20 right now. it has type r cams and skunk 2 valve springs/retainers. jg edelbrock victor x intake mani and 70mm tbody.
all this will be accompanied be a sc61 i have had kicking around for a while. i figure somewhere in the neighbourhood of 400-450hp on pump. will be adding a water meth setup for high boost application
Sweet. Personally i like turbo's, but superchargers are cool too!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice build you have going here! Sounds like this summer is going to be the "Summer of the CR-V" lolol
Old 01-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fast2camciv
Nice build you have going here! Sounds like this summer is going to be the "Summer of the CR-V" lolol

Thanks! Im really liking how the CR-V is turning out. Im hoping to find a good deal on some rims when summer is near. After that and a few minor touches, its gonna be motor mods from there on out. Id also like to do some maintenance stuff, like change out all of the wheel bearings. Before going to the shop today i decided to change the spark plugs, and this is what i found :

First of all, who uses ac delco in a honda? A GM GUY THATS WHO!! God dammit.... Looks like he took them out of his v8 and slapped them in the honda. Look how eroded the electrodes are. Rediculous. Needless to say it ran 100% better after changing the plugs.

I ordered a 3" magnaflow cat today to complete my 3" exhaust. Instead of being a catback, it'll include the cat. When i build the motor ill either fab up a header or find something nice a big to meet up with the cat.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 01-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice crv !
Old 01-12-2012, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks mike. Im doing what i can on my student budget. lol
Old 01-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are you running that cat with your turbo?
nice score, btw
Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will be running that cat with my turbo. Theres no emissions testing where i live, so its basically only there for a visual inspection. Nice score on what?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if there's no emissions testing, probably be a good idea to hollow that cat out. although, my experience with aftermarket cats is that they pretty much hollow themselves out in a short period. especially with boost.

nice score on the v, i meant
Old 01-13-2012, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ahh, yeah, thanks. I couldnt believe it myself! lol. Im gonna leave the cat as is, so my 2nd o2 sensor doesnt bitch at me for the time being. Once i swap to obd1 then i may hallow it out.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I went for a trip to toronto this weekend to pick up a few things.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you have a lot of cars !
Old 01-16-2012, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pac mall?
i like your exhaust setup. same way im doing mine except it will cross back over to the passenger side after the rear subframe. looping under the driveshaft is stupid imo
Old 01-16-2012, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mike59
you have a lot of cars !
Originally Posted by ihaterust
pac mall?
i like your exhaust setup. same way im doing mine except it will cross back over to the passenger side after the rear subframe. looping under the driveshaft is stupid imo
lol no, not pac mall. Ignited Performance is a name brand company. I totally agree about looping under the driveshaft. If i did it, it would rub every time i hit any kind of bump. Ground clearance would be almost 0. lol
Old 01-18-2012, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Blew a brake line Its cold as hell outside and theres a blizzard... Heres a pic of a mostly assembled shock though that i found though.

And look at the difference between the m00g and oem rear sway bar end links!

It looks like the oem one came off a snow machine! lol.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not much for updates. Changed my brake line i blew. The wheel cylinder stripped out so i changed that. While bleeding the brake line i ended up blowing another brake line...Changed that one out without any problems. While i was there i fixed my alignment, changed my engine oil and my rear diff fluid. It was dirty, but definitely didn't look like it had 267000 km's on it. I got some nite shade but havent used it yet. Ripped off the upper part of my hatch because it was rotten. Hopefully i can find a nice replacement, with a wing on it.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did some prettying up today. Heres some pics of the progress. Ill install them in the morning before class and take some pics.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 01-26-2012, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is gonna be a cool project! I'm not too fond of the gold painted wiper arms, but if you like it then that's all that matters. The only thing I can offer as far as advice is to stick with an original Honda head gasket when you do your engine build. They are super dependable. Good job.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 00_EKHatch
This is gonna be a cool project! I'm not too fond of the gold painted wiper arms, but if you like it then that's all that matters. The only thing I can offer as far as advice is to stick with an original Honda head gasket when you do your engine build. They are super dependable. Good job.
Thanks. Im kinda thinking the same thing about the wiper arms. Ill figure out if i like them or not after a few days. When i build im either gonna go with a oem honda head gasket or a cometic. Ill come to that decision when it comes time to build it. Ill post pics of my updates installed, later today.

::EDIT:: finished quicker than i thought. It appears i mixed up the wiper arms, but ill just get a longer blade for the passenger side. It needs a new blade anyways and should give me more 'whiping' area.

Before :

after :

Last edited by LDForget; 01-27-2012 at 04:32 AM.

Quick Reply: About time for my build thread I suppose.