Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

(K-Series) OEM LSD vs Aftermarket (Gear Type)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (K-Series) OEM LSD vs Aftermarket (Gear Type)

So the next thing I'm looking to purchase for my car is an LSD. Does anyone have any experience going from an OEM LSD (type r or k20z3, From what I can find there is no difference between the 2 LSD's??) to an aftermarket gear-type unit?

I have a K20Z1 trans (slightly different ratios from the DC5 trans, though the same 4.764 FD, and the same ratios as the K20Z3, just without the LSD). Currently my trans/clutch is running well (tho mileage is unknown). If I were to install an aftermarket unit into my current trans I would replace the clutch/flywheel as well while I'm in there, but I'm starting to look at prices and maybe buying a low mileage K20Z3 or Type R trans is financially the better choice. (still have more looking to do). I would like to get some feedback on the performance of the OEM LSD's compared to some aftermarket gear type units. I'm specifically looking at Quafie and MFactory, leaning more towards the latter to save a little money.

I'd guess most people upgrading from an oem unit would go to a clutch-type but because of the cars street duties, and my beginner status I'm not very interested in going that route.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: (K-Series) OEM LSD vs Aftermarket (Gear Type)

MFactory and Quaife are stronger. OEM is cast case, billet gears. Quaife is all billet. MFactory is all forged.

I haven't weighed an OEM K LSD but with the B's, the OEM helical is the lightest followed by MFactory then Quaife.

The bias ratio is more aggressive in the MFactory and Quaife. I don't recall what Quaife is off the top of my head, but MFactory is 2.1:1 with a soon to be released Stage 1 upgrade (at time of purchase or for LSD's previously purchased) that changes it to a 2.5:1 ratio. OEM should be in the 1.5:1 area.