Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion
Old 03-25-2015, 12:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Turn signals work, but blink really fast???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: Turn signals work, but blink really fast???

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
I knew about the resistors but actually prefer the fast flashing becuase people down here canot drive and I need every little trick I can get to make sure I am seen when making a turn,

You said you had LED front flashers? What kind to you have? I can't use wedge bulbs and cannot find anything slim enough to go into the headlight housings.

I used a 1157 Led bulb with 24 led's. The light calls for a 1156 which can be hard to find that can act as a turn signal and parking light.

It fits and has a nice amber colour to it.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I installed a couple putco led resistor's one on each front turn signal and it corrected the hyperflashing problem. It now blinks at the original oem speed.

If you change all four turn signal's you will need to put a resistor on each one. I installed one on the driver side and it fixed that side, but the passenger side hyperblinked.

Amazon sells them cheaper than the shop I went too, but I needed them quickly.

These are the aluminum ones

http://www.amazon.com/Putco-230004A-...=pd_sim_auto_3

Old 01-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really helpful write up about this cansomeone post a pic of what the bulb to led blinker difference is? Sounds like it would look really good
Old 01-06-2012, 12:48 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ReElay_
Really helpful write up about this cansomeone post a pic of what the bulb to led blinker difference is? Sounds like it would look really good
Google not working for you?
Old 01-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Trial User

read the post that said to try the bulb backwards. sure enough back to normal. pins on bulb are offset. used a paperclip to release pins on white connector behind gray bulb socket. switch the 2 powers and another car out the door happy.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since this thread has already been revived and in case someone else like me ends up reading it...

I was able to swap turn signal relay that plugs into the fuse box under the dash to an electronic turn signal relay that can handle LEDs. This got rid of the fast blinking I had in my 93 with just the rear bulbs swapped to LEDs. I expect it should work with all of them swapped. I used a Novita EP34 "electronic turn or signal flasher" which can be bought at most local auto parts stores like autozone for ~$13. A lot less work than wiring resistors in properly.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't been able to get it to work with both front and rear turn signals replaced with LEDs. If anyone has please let me know how they did it thanks.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:27 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Post #27. Get some of those. One for each corner. If you're saying that's what you did and it's still not working then you're on your own.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I understand how those work and will do so even with a stock relay. I also think this electronic relay could work for some. I think the reason it may not for me right now is because something else in my circuit is screwing with the resistance values it wants to see. Maybe my fog lights because both turns & fogs have always blinked when I press my viper alarm,and then when I put LEDs in all 4 corners the fogs either turned on with the turn signal or 4 ways (I can't remember).
Old 09-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is resistor and flasher the same thing, just another name? If I were to put LED turn signals bulbs and they hyper flashed, then all I need is to add a resistor and that's it? Or is there anything else I need add?
Old 09-08-2014, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The electronic flasher is a replacement (electronic) relay. Relays and resistors are not the same thing.

In theory the electronic flasher should potentially allow you not to have to wire in resistors, but in theory the Pilot automotive brand LEDs I bought also said they have built in resistance to prevent this. At least that's how I read this or at least expect it's the same cause: "Built-in can bus technology eliminates bulb out / error messages!"

If you go the resistor route you wire in 4 of them and use your stock relay. The hope I had based on the electronic relay was that I don't have to wire in resistors at each corner, but I can only get 2 LEDs in without funky things happening like both side signals going on at the same time.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update...

So I figured out that if I have my Pilot 1157/1156 Can Bus LEDs installed both in the front and rear along with my electronic flasher/relay it will allow the flashers to function properly for both turning and hazard actions without any load resistors installed. HOWEVER, it only works when I have my head or parking lights on.

When I don't have my parking or head lights turned on I get this crazy action where
both my fog lights and the front turn signal on the opposite/should be off side (at parking light intensity) flash with every blinker flash. Also my gauge cluster, HVAC lights, and head unit all dim with the each flash.

I guess the system still isn't seeing enough resistance, but the part I can't figure out is why it all works with my lights on??? Does anyone know what the dimming of the lights is supposed to indicate to the driver? For example when I put LEDs in the brake lights without load resistors I got a similar dimming action when I pressed the breaks, but that actually cut power to my clock and radio resetting it. This is just a dimming action equivalent to turning on the lights.

I've got a spare $7 electronic flasher I bought that I popped open and I may try and solder some resistors to it to see if that is a solution. Again I get that load resistors can be used, but that would be too easy..
Old 02-16-2019, 06:13 AM
Trial User

My left turn signal has done the hyper flash three times in the last four years.
each time it lasted either a few days, or once for a couple of weeks. but then went back to normal.
after reading this thread i picked up some electrical bulb grease at the parts store and took the front turn bulb out and with a broken toothpick applied bulb grease to the three contact points and reinstalled the bulb.
the problem is fixed. the front socket is the most likely since it is exposed to the most moisture and dirt.
it really didn't look dirty. but the contacts weren't shiny new either.
i hope this helps someone who reads this thread.