Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Confusing Timing Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confusing Timing Issues

Hi all! I'm really hoping I'm posting this in the correct forum! My apologies, in advance, if I'm not.

My mother has a 97 Honda CRV, AWD. Recently her timing belt broke, while she was driving. Before the vehicle stopped running, my mother noticed that the motor seemed to be "surging," for a couple of miles. When she slowed down, turning into her drive way, the vehicle completely stopped running. Hoping that no permanent damage was done, the timing belt was replaced. Unfortunately, I'm not the person who replaced it, so may not be able to ask all of the questions that you may ask, but I'll do my best.

Immediately after the timing belt was replaced, a broken distributor cap was also replaced. The vehicle ran just fine, approximately a week, driving about 15 miles each day.

After that time, the Engine Check (Emissions Control) light came on, solid. The vehicle also started running rough, trying to die at low RPMs. Acceleration would cause the light to blink, until it shifted, then the light would return to solid.

The person who did the mechanical work scanned for codes and came up with a code (though I don't know the code). Something was also said about a specific "blinking series" of the Check Engine (Emissions Control) light, meaning something in particular.

I just took the vehicle to Auto Zone and had it put on a scanner.

The scanner returned the following codes:
P0301
P0302
P0303
P0304
P1300
P1399

The person at AutoZone, supposedly used to work at a Honda dealership, as a mechanic. He suggested that maybe the Tensioner Pulley hadn't been tightened, allowing the belt to slip. He had no other explanation as to why it would have ran fine, for a week, before all of this started.

I plan to speak with the person who did the mechanical work, but figured I'd post here first, in case there were some specific questions you all suggested that I ask him.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Confusing Timing Issues

300 codes are missfire, and the last digit is what cylinder is missfiring. Looks like youve got all 4 misfiring, which leads me to think its out of time. Id have to agree that i think the timing belt may have slipped.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by returnofsid
Hi all! I'm really hoping I'm posting this in the correct forum! My apologies, in advance, if I'm not.

My mother has a 97 Honda CRV, AWD. Recently her timing belt broke, while she was driving. Before the vehicle stopped running, my mother noticed that the motor seemed to be "surging," for a couple of miles. When she slowed down, turning into her drive way, the vehicle completely stopped running. Hoping that no permanent damage was done, the timing belt was replaced. Unfortunately, I'm not the person who replaced it, so may not be able to ask all of the questions that you may ask, but I'll do my best.

Immediately after the timing belt was replaced, a broken distributor cap was also replaced. The vehicle ran just fine, approximately a week, driving about 15 miles each day.

After that time, the Engine Check (Emissions Control) light came on, solid. The vehicle also started running rough, trying to die at low RPMs. Acceleration would cause the light to blink, until it shifted, then the light would return to solid.

The person who did the mechanical work scanned for codes and came up with a code (though I don't know the code). Something was also said about a specific "blinking series" of the Check Engine (Emissions Control) light, meaning something in particular.

I just took the vehicle to Auto Zone and had it put on a scanner.

The scanner returned the following codes:
P0301
P0302
P0303
P0304
P1300
P1399

The person at AutoZone, supposedly used to work at a Honda dealership, as a mechanic. He suggested that maybe the Tensioner Pulley hadn't been tightened, allowing the belt to slip. He had no other explanation as to why it would have ran fine, for a week, before all of this started.

I plan to speak with the person who did the mechanical work, but figured I'd post here first, in case there were some specific questions you all suggested that I ask him.
Be a bit more specific ,you said that the belt snapped-but then your mother wouldn't be able to pull aside!?Do you think the guy who did the job is reputable mech and honest ?Let him check the timing marks to begin with.Did the guy checked compression after the belt was installed?Another thing,did you change only the distributor cap?You might have more than one trouble.Try to distinguish between mechanical timing and something else, but start by basics.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check timing. that's the first thing i'd do after scanning. especially in this case