Notices

Weird sensation while driving.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird sensation while driving.

So I have this weird type of a sensation when I am driving, its almost feels like a misfire but the engine does not cut out, or seem like its struggling at all. It seems like its at a constant rpm. This is a dx so I have no tach.

I get these sensations while either high in the rpm range, or now while accelerating in second, and while cruising on the highway uphill at like 62 mph. I do have axle play laterally, up and down, the in and out is supposed to be normal if im not mistaking. But this is only intermittant, if I go outside right now I get no play, infact I get no play either way. I was guessing it was because of the terrain, its not perfectly flat. Is this correct?

My question is, would the play in the axles cause this sensation?
Old 12-20-2011, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Weird sensation while driving.

Your fuel pump might by dying. It's not necessarily an axle problem. Sorry to complicate the matter. It could also be a problem with the ignitor - the easiest thing to test is to swap distributors with a known-good one. Basically a bad enough misfire will feel like random fuel cut and there are several things that would cause a misfire. You could also plug in an aftermarket tach and see if the rpm fluctuates wildly while driving, that's a dead giveaway for a bad ignitor.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raene
Your fuel pump might by dying. It's not necessarily an axle problem. Sorry to complicate the matter. It could also be a problem with the ignitor - the easiest thing to test is to swap distributors with a known-good one. Basically a bad enough misfire will feel like random fuel cut and there are several things that would cause a misfire. You could also plug in an aftermarket tach and see if the rpm fluctuates wildly while driving, that's a dead giveaway for a bad ignitor.
but the engine still sounds good, does not sound like its dying, and the distributor is actually brand new. Maybe only has like 7k on it.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:09 AM

You don't generally hear a misfire when the engine's at speed unless you're in the bay.

Anyway, maybe someone else has some other ideas if you don't like mine. I could easily be wrong.

Just FYI newer distributors that aren't OEM from Honda, I don't really trust their ignitors.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the car an automatic?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raene
You don't generally hear a misfire when the engine's at speed unless you're in the bay.

Anyway, maybe someone else has some other ideas if you don't like mine. I could easily be wrong.

Just FYI newer distributors that aren't OEM from Honda, I don't really trust their ignitors.
Its a napa. I will take the cap off sometime to just see if there is any crap in it. I hope not, but never know I guess.

I have a friend that owns a taurus and it misfires up a hill and you can feel it pretty heavily through the vehicle.
Originally Posted by crvtectim
Is the car an automatic?
no its manual.

The thing that I am concerned about is that I hit a bump going pretty quick..30mph..the construction company ripped a porion of the road up then parked a vehicle infront of the bump sign. It used to vibrate at 62mph, now it does this under load. Thats what makes me suspect the suspension.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would like to update this post asking a few questions. I found oil in number two spark plug tube. I know that means its leaking and needs to be replaced...but its a slow leak and I want to try to stretch it till spring. I cleaned it off the best I could but I have a question regarding the oil in there.

Can I just let the oil drain into the combustion chamber and then turn the car over with no plug to blow it out? or what can I do?
Old 01-15-2012, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You probably want to soak up as much as you can by stuffing a rag down there, BEFORE you remove the spark plug and allow it to drain into the cylinder. A small amount wont hurt, just smoke a little as it burns off.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:48 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Describe the problem better - is there some shaking in the steering wheel?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it sounds like its doing what my car is doing.... ill be cruising and it sometimes just lets off like i let off the gas but my foot is still on the accelerator. then it kicks back in. doesnt make any noise or anything
Old 01-15-2012, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gringo7718
You probably want to soak up as much as you can by stuffing a rag down there, BEFORE you remove the spark plug and allow it to drain into the cylinder. A small amount wont hurt, just smoke a little as it burns off.
Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
Describe the problem better - is there some shaking in the steering wheel?
Its hard to descirbe. It mostly happens when I either go up hills or accelerate. However, I do not get any feedback through the steering wheel. It would be like if you took your foot off the gas and reapplied it. Something like that. Its like a jerkiness back and forth that you feel in the passenger compartment.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ghosthatch
it sounds like its doing what my car is doing.... ill be cruising and it sometimes just lets off like i let off the gas but my foot is still on the accelerator. then it kicks back in. doesnt make any noise or anything
Originally Posted by bk7794
Its hard to descirbe. It mostly happens when I either go up hills or accelerate. However, I do not get any feedback through the steering wheel. It would be like if you took your foot off the gas and reapplied it. Something like that. Its like a jerkiness back and forth that you feel in the passenger compartment.
sounds like exactly what i just described. and i still havent figured out the problem... but while having the engine out of the car i noticed that the rear tranny mount had a lot of play... so dont know if that had anything to do with it but if you figure it out please let me know
Old 01-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your wheel bearing. Used to happen to me at a certain highway speed. especially when i hit 70mph, it starts to steer off then when at 72mph it comes right back.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil in the spark plug tube can cause some issues. I used to have an accord that would fill the plug tubes with oil and it would start hard, run on 2, then 3, then 4 cylinders as it warmed up. And you could see the spark jumping from the plug wire to the cylinder head, at idle, because the oil interrupts the path of current to the spark plug, and it has to go somewhere.

Just pop the valve cover off, clean the surfaces good and spread some rtv around the gasket surfaces on the head. Takes 15 minutes tops, and cost only a tube of rtv if you dont want to get a new gasket just yet.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ef yu
check your wheel bearing. Used to happen to me at a certain highway speed. especially when i hit 70mph, it starts to steer off then when at 72mph it comes right back.
I think its a suspension part aswell...cause it usually happens at 61mph and higher in the rpm range. I used to get wheel shake at 61 where now I do not really.
Originally Posted by wreckeddc4
Oil in the spark plug tube can cause some issues. I used to have an accord that would fill the plug tubes with oil and it would start hard, run on 2, then 3, then 4 cylinders as it warmed up. And you could see the spark jumping from the plug wire to the cylinder head, at idle, because the oil interrupts the path of current to the spark plug, and it has to go somewhere.

Just pop the valve cover off, clean the surfaces good and spread some rtv around the gasket surfaces on the head. Takes 15 minutes tops, and cost only a tube of rtv if you dont want to get a new gasket just yet.
Well today I cleaned it out. Its only a sllight leak and I went out today and it did the same thing.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:49 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

If that's the case then I would lean towards wheel bearings or axles as well...
Old 01-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If that's the case then I would lean towards wheel bearings or axles as well...
I do get slight lateral axle shaft play. But its only sometimes. Sometimes I don't even get play going longitudinal. When I do get play, the cup in the axle shaft also goes up and down...do you think something in the trannsmission has something to do with it? Like the differential?

I also went more then 8k miles with this going on. I would doubt its bearing...correct? It would have already gone bad by now.

Thank you.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:42 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

It depends really, but it could in fact be your differential. When you are at cruising speed and let off the gas what happens? How about when you reapply the throttle while coasting? Is there any shuddering or the likes while turning? Not to be silly, but have you done a burn-out lately? If so, what happens during that? Also, when at cruising speed, is there any difference in vibration and you steer side to side?
Old 01-16-2012, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It depends really, but it could in fact be your differential. When you are at cruising speed and let off the gas what happens? How about when you reapply the throttle while coasting? Is there any shuddering or the likes while turning? Not to be silly, but have you done a burn-out lately? If so, what happens during that? Also, when at cruising speed, is there any difference in vibration and you steer side to side?
Occasionally when cruising at lets say 60mph in 5th gear I would get a shudder. But this would only happen maybe 10% of the time. I assumed it was the the front engine mount because mine looks to be cracked slightly...

While turning the wheel feels smooth. I do not feel anything out of the ordinary vibration. Sometimes when at 65mph it feels like if I turned the wheel a bit further I would hear and feel a vibration..but if I did that I would steer off the highway...that could also be my tie rod end..correct?

I never did a burnout. When I steer side to side its usually pretty smooth...my alignemnt is off so the wheel vibrates. When driving 65mph sometimes my wheel will vibrate a lot but only sometimes. There will be days where its pretty smooth.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd start with the basics here. Have an alignment done and get the wheels balanced and rotated.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:13 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Originally Posted by crvtectim
I'd start with the basics here. Have an alignment done and get the wheels balanced and rotated.
I second this... Why didn't you mention your alignment was off from the beginning? Your symptoms could be caused by that and/or from bad tie-rod ends. Regardless, before you go any further have it aligned and tires balanced. Most shops charge around $10 for a front end check - they will help you determine what is wrong.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I second this... Why didn't you mention your alignment was off from the beginning? Your symptoms could be caused by that and/or from bad tie-rod ends. Regardless, before you go any further have it aligned and tires balanced. Most shops charge around $10 for a front end check - they will help you determine what is wrong.
Alright I will do that. I thought I mentioned it..maybe I didn't I am sorry.

They will still do the standard front end alignment right? or do I need a "Thrust" alignment?

I will try to take it a shop to get it checked out. I did not know they did that. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like something im dealing with. sometimes it goes completely away. then comes back but not as bad. no problems while turning. just the letting off the accelerator and getting back on it it feels jumpy. no burn outs for me. what would i be looking for when i burn out to tell if my diff is bad?

sorry to thread jack but im just trying to figure out my issue too if i could save an extra thread
Old 01-16-2012, 03:50 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Most of the time a bad differential leads to the vehicle not moving - I was more or less talking about the bearings; sorry for being vague. To me your problem is either a bad wheel bearing or axle. I would lean towards axle due to your "jumpy" on/off gas description. (This is assuming your engine/tranny mounts are OK.) An axle can be bad but not "click" during turns - even though that is a great sign they are bad.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Most of the time a bad differential leads to the vehicle not moving - I was more or less talking about the bearings; sorry for being vague. To me your problem is either a bad wheel bearing or axle. I would lean towards axle due to your "jumpy" on/off gas description. (This is assuming your engine/tranny mounts are OK.) An axle can be bad but not "click" during turns - even though that is a great sign they are bad.
Excellent. Thanks for all the information. I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Weird sensation while driving.