Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

99 accord jumping timing

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 99 accord jumping timing

why would my f23a1 keep jumping timing i had it set correctly after doing a complete head job i wanna know why my accord jumped 180 out an it wont rev over 3000 rpms so i know its in limp mode i jus dont understand how it would jump espeacialy as much as it did
Old 12-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 99 accord jumping timing

Is the valve timing out by 180 or is the ignition timing out by 180? If the ignition timing is out by 180 I would suspect you installed the distributor shaft 180 out.

If the valve timing is out 180 I would suspect something is wrong.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its the valve timming that is jumpin
Old 12-15-2011, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Weird. First time I heard it jumped 180? Bad timing belt tensioner?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

If the timing jumped 180°. I don't think the car would even run.

If you are in limp mode, with your check engine light on. I would suggest retrieving the codes and see what they point toward being the issue.

Only ways I can think of that the belt would jump that bad is if the physical timing was off initially and there was some sort of internal contact. (Piston to valve) Other way would be that the timing belt tensioner is worn, or wasn't set properly, and it is not able to keep the proper belt tension.

When you set the belt tension did you follow a Honda manual for the recommended steps?
Old 12-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no i didnt follow no manual i have done this a month ago an it was fine then i had a burnt valve thats why i did the head job an the car ran fine before the burnt valve an yes my car dose start an run an smooth so i dont have no valve problems
an yes i have changed timing belts before an never had no problems
Old 12-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it seems that you have one now! There really is no need to get defensive. I asked because there is a method to get the tensioner set up properly. All it takes would be to load the belt the wrong way and it may not hold.

You didn't really give much of a description of your problem in your initial post. Knowing now that you had burnt valves could change someones diagnosis. Giving members a bit more back ground into your engines previous performance could help them help you!

FYI A burnt valve doesn't usually come as the result of a "fine"/properly running engine. There is usually an underlying issue that causes the burnt valve. Maybe that is why you are having idle issues. Could be a bad fuel injector, spark plug or sp wire, improper timing or improper valve adjustment.

Good luck with your idle issue.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i appologize for sounding so defensive i didnt mean for it to come out that way an im not having idle issues the car funs fine until it gets warm then it dont wanna start an every mechanic that i call or wut not tells me (Oh well ur timing is out that is why!) but they are not understanding that my problem is my car is jumping timing after i have is set where it gose. i have changed the timing belt on my buddies f22 an they run the same way as a f23 an i do know that i had put the timing belt on correctly because the car ran fine for like 3 or 4 weeks until i had the burnt valve an now that i got that fixed im having my timing issues. im about to give the car a quick fix of dynomite lol!!jk. an once again i appologize for it seeming like i was getting defensive its just very frusteraiting if u know wut i mean. i have grown up around racing all my life so im pretty mechanically inclined so when i come to a problem like this it really is irratating.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you let the engine cool without touching anything and try to start it. Does it fire right up again? If it does it doesn't really sound much like a timing issue. If your problem is only after the engine warms up you might want to look at the EGR system, fuel supply system and/or the rotary air control valve. If it is a timing issue related to temperature it would be coming from the sensors & ECU.

Where you had a burnt valve I would lean towards looking @ the fuel supply system. Maybe something is causing it to run lean after it warms up. Did you check the injector for the cylinder that had the burnt valve?

Do you have access to an OBD scan tool? If you do, you could take a look at the live data and see if there is anything out of the ordinary showing up that might give you a clue.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thank u for ur insight im done working on the car before something mess up wit the valves i dont wanna bend one i have dumped to much time an money into this car but i will let the mechanic now wuts going on an tell him wut u jus have told me im ive never had this problem wit any of my h, b, or d series honda motors an this is my first f series an i will post wut the problem was if a mechanic ever can fix it or wut not thanks for your input guys im sure u jus helped me narrow it down
Old 12-26-2023, 07:46 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by dmonk87
i appologize for sounding so defensive i didnt mean for it to come out that way an im not having idle issues the car funs fine until it gets warm then it dont wanna start an every mechanic that i call or wut not tells me (Oh well ur timing is out that is why!) but they are not understanding that my problem is my car is jumping timing after i have is set where it gose. i have changed the timing belt on my buddies f22 an they run the same way as a f23 an i do know that i had put the timing belt on correctly because the car ran fine for like 3 or 4 weeks until i had the burnt valve an now that i got that fixed im having my timing issues. im about to give the car a quick fix of dynomite lol!!jk. an once again i appologize for it seeming like i was getting defensive its just very frusteraiting if u know wut i mean. i have grown up around racing all my life so im pretty mechanically inclined so when i come to a problem like this it really is irratating.

There is one difference between the two engines. The F23 timing belt is smaller than the F22 timing belt.