Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

replace downpipe only for turbo manifold not na!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replace downpipe only for turbo manifold not na!?

my turbo manifold cracked. guy at performance shop said if i go NA i can get a stock header and thats all id need. he said if i go turbo i need a turbo manifold replacement, but also a downpipe, and an (oil?) feed line.

my question is why would i need a new downpipe for keeping the FI setup as opposed to the NA setup? the downpipe has part of the manifold that broke bolted onto the end at the top where the manifold usually connects, which they can just unbolt and connect to the header or manifold replacement. if there is a problem with the downpipe wouldnt it need to be replaced for either option?

only thing i can think of is he just made a mistake in telling me "yes youll either need that to go NA or if u go turbo those three things"

thanks guys
Old 11-26-2012, 05:48 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: replace downpipe only for turbo manifold not na!?

what?

the downpipe connects to the turbo not the manifold. pics would really help since i cant understand a damn thing you just said.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey doood, the point of my post is that im just confused as to what reason there would be to need a replacement downpipe if i replaced the turbo manifold with another turbo manifold but not if i replaced the turbo manifold with a header and went back to a NA setup.

but doood yeah my bad i was totally wrong with what i said no wonder you couldn't make sense of my nonsense.

here are pics of my car under the hood and what not
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98integ...7632005322896/

the part that cracked is the bottom end of the manifold right where it connects to the turbo. i just dont understand why the guy at the performance shop told me my choices are:

Go NA: Buy header, remove all turbo components
Keep FI: replace turbo manifold, downpipe, and (oil right?) feed line

i saw/was told nothing that would be an issue with my downpipe. not sure why he mentioned that with the other 2 needed purchases. and again if there is a problem why wouldn't i still need it for going back to NA.

i hope your head isn't spinning from my 'tardness

i was supposed to replace these parts like immediately as i am driving this car everyday a bunch and they said i shouldnt be driving it at all...
i would love to order the needed parts right now online and schedule an appointment with the shop asap. ive been doing my own research for knowledge and parts and its been like two weeks now and i figured i should seek forum help to figure out what parts i need exactly/why.

im guessing i need 2.5" piping and not something like 3". hope 35/38mm flange end for the manifold instead of 40mm, and 4 bolt not 5 bolt flange on the downpipe
Old 11-26-2012, 06:34 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

different manifolds will position the turbo differently. hence the need for a new downpipe to properly route underneath the engine and oil feed line. if you buy the exact same manifold this shouldnt be an issue as long as the downpipe is still intact.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so the downpipe and feed line connect to the turbo so they wouldn't be positioned properly necessarily as is...

-why would he tell me to get a downpipe? wouldnt i need one to be made to fit lengthwise and bendwise from piece to piece? are downpipes something that i have to get custom made according to how the turbo is sitting in reference to whatever(!?) the other end of the downpipe connects to?

-and the downpipe makes sense as its piping but the oil feed line, isnt that flexible so it could just bend to reach the turbo? im sure the length will be fine right? is there something im missing here? i say this because i go and look for oil feed lines and i dont see why the new one would differ from the old.

-this is getting scary. i need this car everyday and im getting the feeling im gonna have to bring it to the shop with a new manifold, have them line it up after taking out the other manifold, and then telling me what the downpipe i need will have to look like? then ill have to ask them to leave my car in there shop while i go find transportation to some downpipe bender dude and then wait days for that then go get that then get back to the shop and then have them put that in and then wait a few more days!?

they said i can bring them a manifold, downpipe, and oil feed line and leave the car overnight and they would have it done between the two days probably. do they need a new pipe that hasn't been bent yet and any shop can easily make the bends needed and they would just do it themselves from a straight piece of piping id bring them? sorry for all the questions and noobness, but i totaled my car, and needed something asap, and with the money i had this seemed like the best buy. i just want this car up and running asap.

im guessing going back to NA they could use the downpipe that is in there already? why wouldn't the down pipe that is in there now not reach/be angled right for a header if i went NA? i feel like im back to square one. why is going NA not requiring a downpipe by keeping FI is!?

oh boy my head is spinning

Last edited by foxdie; 11-26-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone know what those are for? i hope there not supposed to be connected to something other than air condition or power steering cause theres nothing connected to them!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Hype-R Stalker

The downpipe could almost be considered the "bottom" of the header.
They both go to the same location but may be slightly off if the exhaust was made to fit the Dp and not vice versa.

But saying you'll need a new Dp and oilfeed line is reasonable, because they can't know for sure they'll fit.
Even the oil return line on the bottom of the turbo could be different length.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another chinese manifold bites the dust...no surprise there.

I would listen to his advice and replace the entire manifold/downpipe combo. If you replace the manifold with another, you're going to have this same issue down the road. This is one of those "do it right the first time" instances that now is going to cost you more money to fix. Is the turbo an eBay ripoff too? Wastegate? If so, NA isn't the worst idea
Old 11-27-2012, 03:32 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdie
anyone know what those are for? i hope there not supposed to be connected to something other than air condition or power steering cause theres nothing connected to them!
A/C high and low side lines, not connected to anything but the A/C system. 94
Old 11-27-2012, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CleanLikeJdm, I just didn't get why they said I would need one for the turbo manfiold but not header, know what I mean?

Schister66, I hear you. Many of the more logical risk averse people I have spoken with have also recommended I just got back to N/A. But I did but it like this and I may ruin into more issues with it being ghetto rigged / properly tuned for running with the turbo system, high flow exhaust system, cold air intake, etc and that going to N/A the demands on fuel and air may not be correct. I feel it is safer right now, and definitely more fun for me to just replace the turbo manifold and get a downpipe and oil feed line for then to mate with it ASAP. Because right now every-time I drive my car I could turn into a fiery blaze.

fcm, thanks. just wanted to make sure they weren't for anything slightly more important then my removed a/c unit.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The a/c was deleted, but you didnt remove the lines?

But if you want this fixed i would definitely want your NEW turbo manifold to have i guess a matching downpipe. if you use two different brand manifold/downpipe and they dont line up right they will have to be "rigged" into place if its even possible which down the road will cause more problems and will probably bring you right back to where you are now. Also i feel like it would be a lot of work to go back to NA just over a broken manifold...

i agree with Schister66. "do it right the first time" short cuts lead to dead ends
Old 11-28-2012, 09:47 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coopa B18c5
i agree with Schister66. "do it right the first time" short cuts lead to dead ends
And not to beat it to death, but if there ever was a successful 'shortcut' with anything Honda related, its been exploited is now the norm. i.e Crome, H2B, etc...