Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes
Old 03-25-2015, 11:32 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

97 prelude won't start - battery ok; no dashboard lights, windows, or turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROBLEM SOLVED: 97 prelude won't start - battery ok; no dashboard lights OR windows

** The problem is now fixed. I added the solution to the description below. **

My 97 prelude won't start, but it's a little more complicated than that.

Around thanksgiving I stalled out when I was going slow around a turn, and the car wasn't able to immediately start back up after stalling. The engine turns over but never starts.

When turning the key to change from off to accessory to on, none of the dashboard lights come on, and the following also doesn't work: power windows, turn signals, clock, cruise control on/off switch, and the sunroof. However, the headlights, radio, interior lights, horn, hazard signal, and tail lights work fine.

A police officer jumped me, but it didn't seem to help (none of the dashboard lights would come on during the jump). Then a few minutes later, I tried to turn the key, and all of the dashboard lights came on, and the car started. I was able to drive home fine.

I tested the battery voltage, and it was fine. I also charged the battery because its charge was low (this car isn't driven more than once or twice a week). I also checked the alternator, and it was charging properly.

A few days later, after being in the grocery store for an hour, the car wouldn't start again, and none of the dashboard lights or other instruments I mentioned earlier would work. I had someone try to jump me, but it also didn't help. However, after removing the jumper cables and waiting a few minutes, I tried to start the car again, and it started (with all of the dashboard lights and other instruments working), and I was able to get home.

I figured this was an ignition switch problem, since the dashboard lights weren't coming on sometimes, so I replaced it. I also replaced the PGM-FI main relay, since this is also supposed to cause startup problems similar to what I've had.

Neither of these helped, and now the car won't start up at all. The same symptoms still apply here that I had before (no dashboard lights, power windows, turn signals, clock, cruise control on/off switch, or sunroof), but the headlights, radio, interior lights, horn, hazard signal, and tail lights still work.

I checked all of the fuses under the hood and under the dashboard, and they look fine. I'm guessing there's probably a short somewhere. Has anyone heard of anything similar to this, or does anyone have any ideas?

Edit: The automatic door lock/unlock switch also works.

Solution:
I found the problem. It was the ignition switch connector under the dashboard that goes into the fuse box. Basically when I shake that cable and connector, the dashboard lights go on and off.

There's another wire that's spliced with that cable, which has electrical tape all around it, so I'm guessing that's the problem. I'll redo the wiring down there tomorrow, and that should fix it.

Last edited by frequentc; 12-04-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 97 prelude won't start - battery ok; no dashboard lights, windows, or turn signal

Do you have a Helms manual to do electrical diagnosis?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 prelude won't start - battery ok; no dashboard lights, windows, or turn signal

short some where? i had a car that sometimes wouldn't start unless your put it in neutral.(automatic), also maybe bad grounds?
Old 12-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hawkze_2.3
Do you have a Helms manual to do electrical diagnosis?
I have one of the factory service manuals.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As mentioned, sounds like a short or bad ground somewhere. The fact that your radio and tail lights still work indicates the ignition switch is fine; everything else can be used without the key anyway (headlights, horn, interior lights, and hazards).

On second thought, the cruise control, sunroof, and dash illumination (including clock) all route through the controls to the left. It's possible there is a junction block somewhere that got knocked loose, or the associated ground wire. Can you open the passenger window from the passenger side?
Old 12-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gstrudler
As mentioned, sounds like a short or bad ground somewhere. The fact that your radio and tail lights still work indicates the ignition switch is fine; everything else can be used without the key anyway (headlights, horn, interior lights, and hazards).

On second thought, the cruise control, sunroof, and dash illumination (including clock) all route through the controls to the left. It's possible there is a junction block somewhere that got knocked loose, or the associated ground wire. Can you open the passenger window from the passenger side?
I just tried, and I also can't open the passenger window from the passenger side.

However, it also looks like the automatic door lock/unlock switch is working.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found the problem. It was the ignition switch connector under the dashboard that goes into the fuse box. Basically when I shake that cable and connector, the dashboard lights go on and off.

There's another wire that's spliced with that cable, which has electrical tape all around it, so I'm guessing that's the problem. I'll redo the wiring down there tomorrow, and that should fix it.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Trial User

hey, sorry to bug you, i have a 98 prelude sh, it cranks but wont start, i got no dash indicator lights, no power windows,but radio and inside lights work, same as yours, can you please help me out to find out what the problem is, have you fixed yours?
Old 01-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Trial User

my whole car is ripped apart and im literally gonna ball if i dont fix it
Old 01-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Trial User

was running fine, but then i turned it off an now outta no where it wont start back up
Old 01-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chetty6
hey, sorry to bug you, i have a 98 prelude sh, it cranks but wont start, i got no dash indicator lights, no power windows,but radio and inside lights work, same as yours, can you please help me out to find out what the problem is, have you fixed yours?
Yeah, redoing the wiring for the ignition switch connector that goes into the fuse box fixed the problem for me.

I'm not sure how common my problem is though. I bought the car used, and whoever did the wiring for the aftermarket sound system did a bad job splicing wires, which is what I think caused this problem.

Try this:
Put the key in the ignition and turn the key like you're trying to turn the dashboard lights on. Shake the wires coming out of the fuse box (the one inside the car near your brake pedal). If you see the dashboard lights flicker, I'd check the wiring on that wire.

If that doesn't change much, it's probably your ignition switch. That's a common problem on these cars, and the ignition switch was actually recalled a while back. The other common problem that can also cause this is bad solder joints on the PGM-FI main relay. The main relay is near the fuse box, but I'd try the ignition switch first.

Edit: I'd also check the fuses inside the car and in the main fuse box under the hood.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Trial User

heyy dude, um, i tried wiggling the wires, and no luck, please someone help, i need my car.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chetty6
heyy dude, um, i tried wiggling the wires, and no luck, please someone help, i need my car.
Did you read the rest of what I wrote?
Old 01-31-2012, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

newbs helping newbs, thats the spirit!!