Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - Current)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!


Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
ek02
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Accord V6 Timing Belt

I have a 2003 Accord V6 that I bought new 7 years ago when the 2004 models came out. According to the maintenance schedule, the timing belt is due for replacement by time. It only has 72,000 well cared for miles. Some are highway miles and some are short city trips, and no severe conditions. My question is whether or not I should change the water pump and all the timing belt pulleys, or just put a timing belt on it, or wait until 105,000 miles and do it all. I inspected the belt and it looks almost new all the way around it. I want to keep the car 2 more years and may not get to 105,000 miles. Any advice?
ek02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Aliman
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Accord V6 Timing Belt

just change it before you regret it. i know people who have put off changing timing belts and they have broken with the new belt in the back of the car . For your own safety just do it
Aliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
ek02
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Accord V6 Timing Belt

Thanks. I will for sure do the belt, not sure about the water pump. I changed the coolant at 50,000 miles. The pump is not leaking and is quiet. I am not sure how many miles a Honda water pump is good for.
ek02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
Aliman
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Accord V6 Timing Belt

Id say its better to change the water pump while the belt is off. first reason it can all be done in the same price. second you dont want to have to pay for it all again just to change the pump when that goes out
Aliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
ek02
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Accord V6 Timing Belt

I am doing the job myself, so the labor is not an issue. I just hate to have to do it at 72,000 miles. You are right, do it all at once and be done with it.
ek02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
motegicivic
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,216
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Accord V6 Timing Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek02 View Post
I am doing the job myself, so the labor is not an issue. I just hate to have to do it at 72,000 miles. You are right, do it all at once and be done with it.
Might as well do the water pump since you are there anyway.

By the way for v6's you should do the tensioners as well, 4 cyl, not so much.
motegicivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
ek02
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Accord V6 Timing Belt

Thanks for the advice. I plan to replace it all.
ek02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
ek02
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Accord V6 Timing Belt

I finally got my parts and the crank pulley holder. It took me 7 hours to change the belt, tensioner, and water pump. The book say 4.3 hours. The biggest problem was getting the crank pulley bolt loose. I tried a breaker bar, an air impact wrench, and finally 3 tries with a 4' pipe on a long breaker bar. It's probably easy to pull on a bar on a lift, but I did it on the floor with the breaker bar and pipe coming out the top and pushing toward the hood. Anyone doing this job will need to use a 6 point impact socket. I would also recommend the Honda factory shop manuals be used. The old belt looked pretty good at 72,000 miles and 8 years old. I am glad this SOB of a job is finally done.
ek02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:22 AM   #9
salvageland
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
salvageland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Glendal, California
Posts: 216
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Accord V6 Timing Belt

Just finished doing a timing belt job on my accord too....had 131k miles on the original belt!! It still looked in great condition, no cracks or signs of ageing. I think they may have over engineered the belt on these cars. Probably would have lasted another 20-30k miles.
salvageland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
spydercatt
B*a*n*n*e*d
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 10
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Accord V6 Timing Belt

If you would like to see a video on the replacement of the timing belt on a Honda Acura V6 J Series Timing Belt, check out this video

spydercatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
Accordman1
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 67
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Accord V6 Timing Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek02 View Post
I finally got my parts and the crank pulley holder. It took me 7 hours to change the belt, tensioner, and water pump. The book say 4.3 hours. The biggest problem was getting the crank pulley bolt loose. I tried a breaker bar, an air impact wrench, and finally 3 tries with a 4' pipe on a long breaker bar. It's probably easy to pull on a bar on a lift, but I did it on the floor with the breaker bar and pipe coming out the top and pushing toward the hood. Anyone doing this job will need to use a 6 point impact socket. I would also recommend the Honda factory shop manuals be used. The old belt looked pretty good at 72,000 miles and 8 years old. I am glad this SOB of a job is finally done.
You replaced them a bit too early. Honda recommended to replace the timing belt at 105K or 10 years. The other parts are replaced as needed. However, given the labor to get to the timing belt, it makes sense to replace them all for the next 105K: timing belt, water pump and seal, idler pulley, tensioner pulley and the tensioner. Gates and others have them all in one kit. I will probably need to do mine this year or next year, even if the mileage is only 55K. I think I will invest in the proper tool set so I can do both my Hondas.
Accordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
BLKFLSH
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
BLKFLSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Thibodaux, LA, USA
Posts: 3,636
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Accord V6 Timing Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordman1 View Post
You replaced them a bit too early. Honda recommended to replace the timing belt at 105K or 10 years.
Correction, it's 7 years, or 105k miles, whichever comes first. The belts seem to last much longer, but that doesn't mean something else isn't about to go. The tensioner could loose it's pressure, the water pump could seize, or one of the pulleys could go out. I replaced everything but the crank and cam seals when I did the timing belt. I had a rattling noise coming from under the covers, on cold starts, so I wasn't taking any chances with reusing parts. The bearings on the pulleys felt good turning them by hand, and the tensioner didn't seem to be leaking, but the pulleys had black lines around them, so something was letting the belt slip. Changing the pulleys along with the belt, pump, and tensioner solved the noise at startup.
__________________
92 accord EX sedan : sold after 12 great years
03 accord EXV6 sedan: smooth as silk
BLKFLSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
Coupe6
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 4
iTrader Rating: (0)
Rather not say Rather not say Rather not say
Default Re: Accord V6 Timing Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek02 View Post
I have a 2003 Accord V6 that I bought new 7 years ago when the 2004 models came out. According to the maintenance schedule, the timing belt is due for replacement by time. It only has 72,000 well cared for miles. Some are highway miles and some are short city trips, and no severe conditions. My question is whether or not I should change the water pump and all the timing belt pulleys, or just put a timing belt on it, or wait until 105,000 miles and do it all. I inspected the belt and it looks almost new all the way around it. I want to keep the car 2 more years and may not get to 105,000 miles. Any advice?
I have '03 Accord v6 auto with 19,397 original miles, I have been advised to pay for the same procedure... I hope you get a better picture thru my example. My impression (thru Honda) is that 120,000 everyday miles are about the miles one would drive to make a change in that timing belt.

That said, when I have $650.00 laying around in the next couple of years I will change mine, simply based upon time.
Coupe6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #14
Coupe6
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 4
iTrader Rating: (0)
Rather not say Rather not say Rather not say
Default Re: Accord V6 Timing Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKFLSH View Post
Correction, it's 7 years, or 105k miles, whichever comes first. The belts seem to last much longer, but that doesn't mean something else isn't about to go. The tensioner could loose it's pressure, the water pump could seize, or one of the pulleys could go out. I replaced everything but the crank and cam seals when I did the timing belt. I had a rattling noise coming from under the covers, on cold starts, so I wasn't taking any chances with reusing parts. The bearings on the pulleys felt good turning them by hand, and the tensioner didn't seem to be leaking, but the pulleys had black lines around them, so something was letting the belt slip. Changing the pulleys along with the belt, pump, and tensioner solved the noise at startup.
You are a conscientious car owner it sounds to me like, but if you aren't getting any weird engine sensor lights, or hearing any new never before heard sounds and are changing filters and fluids like clockwork, then that stuff should not be a problem based upon a TIME scenario. (**Extremely cold winter's, and harsh Summer's shorten the durability of some parts) I don't believe you are running on borrowed time, as it sounds you may feel that you are... MY ONLY CONCERN would be is if you have added a second driver in your car on a regular, or semi-regular basis. Cars wear based upon the habits of their driver, and if you have added someone new, whose driving habits ARE by definition different than yours, then wear patterns are altered leaving parts at an increased risk for failure.. I don't have the math to back this up, but I do have 20 years in a new car dealership as a Service Manager, but please remember this is a computer interface with individuals who have NEVER examined your vehicle, like myself.. So take it for what it's worth.

Last edited by Coupe6; 06-04-2013 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Left out a disclaimer
Coupe6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
BLKFLSH
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
BLKFLSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Thibodaux, LA, USA
Posts: 3,636
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Accord V6 Timing Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe6 View Post
You are a conscientious car owner it sounds to me like, but if you aren't getting any weird engine sensor lights, or hearing any new never before heard sounds and are changing filters and fluids like clockwork, then that stuff should not be a problem based upon a TIME scenario. (**Extremely cold winter's, and harsh Summer's shorten the durability of some parts) I don't believe you are running on borrowed time, as it sounds you may feel that you are... MY ONLY CONCERN would be is if you have added a second driver in your car on a regular, or semi-regular basis. Cars wear based upon the habits of their driver, and if you have added someone new, whose driving habits ARE by definition different than yours, then wear patterns are altered leaving parts at an increased risk for failure.. I don't have the math to back this up, but I do have 20 years in a new car dealership as a Service Manager, but please remember this is a computer interface with individuals who have NEVER examined your vehicle, like myself.. So take it for what it's worth.
I don't think you understood what I was saying. I changed my timing belt, along with the water pump, tensioner, and both pulleys. I waited 8 years, then started hearing noises coming from under the timing covers, so the timing belt was changed a short time later. The belt itself looked to be in good shape, but IMO the lack of grease inside the adjuster and idler pulleys was causing the belt to slip. So, IMO just because the belts seem to last, that doesn't mean another part will not fail. I'm hoping the new OEM pulleys have more grease inside them. Filters and fluids have nothing to do with the lifespan of timing belt components.
__________________
92 accord EX sedan : sold after 12 great years
03 accord EXV6 sedan: smooth as silk
BLKFLSH is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply

Tags
2004, 2011, accord, belt, chain, change, cost, honda, miles, pump, replace, replacement, timing, v6, water, write

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timing Chain 2005 Accord Two400 Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - Current) 27 03-07-2014 02:53 PM
Do I need timing belt maintenance? spooksmcgee Engine Management and Tuning 6 01-07-2014 06:53 PM
2005 CR-V bad gas mileage puremacgyver Honda Element & CR-V 2 01-01-2014 02:41 PM
Need Experienced Input - Timing Belt 2000 SI MonkeyPuzzle Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992 - 2000) 7 12-30-2013 04:04 PM
Accord shudder after axle replacement KrisAtHondaTech Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - Current) 3 05-31-2013 01:25 PM



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:07 PM.



2008 Copyright, InternetBrands Inc.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Honda and the Honda marquee are registered trademarks of the American Honda Motor Company, Inc. Neither American Honda Motor Company nor its subsidiaries or affiliates shall bear any responsibility for Honda-Tech.com content, comments, or advertising. Honda-Tech.com is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Company in any way. American Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse Honda-Tech.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.
Emails & Contact Details