Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Acura Integra
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 10-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
d16y7civiclx
Honda-Tech Member
1997 Honda Civic

iTrader Rating: (0)
Icon6 B18b1 Fluttering noise ?!

My 95 civic coupe has an integra engine (B18b) in it... anyway, while driving the other day i heard a semi-loud popping noise and an almost back fire kind of sound. After that happened theres been a fluttering noise to the car, ill elaborate as best i can.

When accelerating in ANY gear or in NEUTRAL i get a kind of "flapping" or "fluttering" sound (best i can describe it)
  • The engine, prior to this "event", did have white smoke in the exhaust on hard acceleration
  • The noise only seems to occur when accelerating, ill hear it while accelerating then if i let off the gas and let the engine wind down i wont hear it.
  • Going to check for exhaust leaks or possibly holes ( the car sits very low to the ground and scrapes frequently if im not careful)
  • Also i noticed the oil light going on and off while the car is running and the noise is or isnt present
  • I added oil and the noise seemed to be ..."muffled", it was still present but not as... pronounced..

Any insight or help you guys can provide is GREATLY appreciated!!!
Thanks,

Mike
d16y7civiclx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
LIL DAn "lsv"
Honda-Tech Member
1990 Honda integra
My Garage

Default Re: B18b1 Fluttering noise ?!

check oil levels? after the "pop" sound it made did you feel a loss in power? whats the oil look like?

slightly bent rod? if you rev it up high does it sound like a hard slapping noise?

not sure by what a flapping noise is.. just check for signs of headgasket, bent connecting rod, and the oil light goes on and off check oil level maybe ur pump isnt pumping oil correctly?
LIL DAn "lsv" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
d16y7civiclx
Honda-Tech Member
1997 Honda Civic

Default Re: B18b1 Fluttering noise ?!

Thank you for the help lil Dan. Found the problem, i blew a hole the size of a penny in my headers, theres also a crack running off the hole. It cracked right above the header flange gasket!
d16y7civiclx is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
00, 2000, accelerating, acceleration, car, civic, crv, fluttering, honda, integra, loss, noise, oddysey, power, sound