Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

5th gen door speakers... I searched to no avail

Old 09-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Mr. Fuch-yu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 5th gen door speakers... I searched to no avail

Ok, so I have found several threads and posts regarding the door speakers in the 5th gen, but none have been of the same nature as my question.

I've had some Boston's for about 3 years that I never got around to installing, mainly because I haven't driven the car in a long *** time. But now, I am using it as my daily driver. Before I ordered the speakers I looked up what size speaker were in the doors of the lude to find that they were 6.5s.

Now that I am driving the car on a daily basis, I would like to install them. I am pulling new wire (16g) for the speakers due to the irritating AFBS. And to the audiophiles, yes I am doing it properly. Exactly like this http:// w w w . p r e l u d e p o w e r . c o m / forums/showthread.php?t=240993 minus the crossover.

The first issue I am running into is this. The Boston's I have to replace the stock speakers measure exactly 6.5" while the stock "6.5s" measure a mere 6-3/16". The Bostons won't fit.

I have a friend who works at Hapco (an aluminum flag pole manufacturing factory) who has offered to machine a few spacers for me out of aluminum that will accept the 6.5" Boston's. In order to make this work I will have to cut out the basket completely leaving only enough of the door panel for the factory speaker covers to attach to the door panel.

My question is this. If I do this, will it negatively impact the sound from the speakers ie. lose some of the sound to the door cavity itself. Will RTV silicone bond to bare aluminum?

RTV silicone is not going to be my only means of mounting the spacers, I simply want to know if it will be a sufficient gasket for the spacers or if I need to paint the spacers first.

I know it would be easier to mount some 5.25s and be done with it, but I would rather have the extra bass that the 6.5s will offer because the tweets I've got put out all the treble I could ask for.

These are the only 2 questions I have as far as the process goes. Thanks for any insight and advice you can offer.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Mr. Fuch-yu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 5th gen door speakers... I searched to no avail

I also posted this in the A/V forum to help with future search results