Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 EM1 tips and Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 99 EM1 tips and Transmission problems

Sup Hondatech, has been a while. i have been out the import scene for almost 10 years getting my family and life situated but wifey just let me buy a toy for the weekend and i found me a 99 civic si in red (had blue and black) got it for a good price but with high milage 172k

its a 99 civic si em1 with only a cold air intake and some ebay headers only engine mods i see

car is in great condition body wise but since i moved from the city and most of my friends arent looking back (to civics and whatnot) i come to u guys for advice.(use the search button guys please dont get angry)

first off, what would be the first thing u guys do? i was thinking giving it a full tune up i.e spark plugs,spark plug wires,oil change etc.. should i take it a step further and change the transmission fluid and or flush the coolent?

second i noticed while driving it home that while in 5th gear and droping down in rpm cause of me steeping on the brake it sometimes (not with constinsency) kicks out of that gear,

none of the gears grind when shifting into them but while in second last night pulling into my development in low rpm i got a grind that i couldnt pinpoint to where it was coming from but when i gave it gas it went away.. ill be providing a youtube video of this when im back home..

I also got thrown a ecu code number P1457 which i did search for but the code has setn people on missions as well to find out..

any suggestions on my problems and or what tips u guys have to make this car mines?

Great to be back on the forums as for i been a member for years..
Old 09-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 EM1 tips and Transmission problems

P1457 Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Control System Leakage (EVAP Canister System)

basic tune up : ngk spark plug/wires, ignition timing, distributor cap/rotor, oil change, fuel filter, pcv valve, air filter

change trans oil use Honda MTF... if that doesnt fix your problem then go under and check shift linkages see if anything doesnt look right.... if that doesnt fix your problem then ur tranny is messed up

some people use GM synchromesh claim to fix minor tranny problems
Old 09-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the tips. So u do recommend I change the transmission fluid then cause back then I heard never to change it and which oil should I use for those high miles last owner said he used 10-30 mobile. Any one recomend any better ones..thanks again
Old 09-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheJediMex
Thanks for the tips. So u do recommend I change the transmission fluid then cause back then I heard never to change it and which oil should I use for those high miles last owner said he used 10-30 mobile. Any one recomend any better ones..thanks again

if your transmission fluid has never been changed.. i suggest you change it.. . go to honda and go get some honda MTF 2 quarts i believe for b16a2.... my friend just recently bought a 97 dx and his tranny was acting up like crazy, pop outs, grinds etc... and when he finally got around to change tranny fluid... there was half a quart of oil in it... so yea you should change the tranny oil since its never been done

as for motor oil... usually very high miles id use 10 40.. you can run 10 30 if the other owner ran it before without any problems.....
Old 09-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i suggest fix the p1457 code.. your wasting gas if you have a vapor leak.......
Old 09-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Change that tranny fluid for sure. It won't be a permananent fix, but it'll carry you over until you get the money to actually fix the problem. If you're on a budget, go with Honda MTF, otherwise I have heard nothing but stories of miracle cures from guys using GM Syncromesh "Friction Modified". The "friction modified" version is technically made for cars with an lsd, but I know tons of honda guys that swear by it as opposed to regular GM synchromesh.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the help guys , i think imma keep using the 10-30 the last owner was using. mobil , if i take it to the dealer to change both trans and oil are they gonna use Honda motor oil for both?? cause on my last visit to the dealer i took my wifes 2011 honda accord and the sticker reminder that they put on the inside of the windshield there was a penzoil sticker inside of the honda dealer..
should i ask them if they use oem honda oil or just change the oil myself??

gonna research a little more about that GM Synchromesh Friction Modified before i change anything..
thanks again guys, i really do appreciate it alot
Old 09-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for which oil should I use for my high miles. Brand wise and any other info on that Gmail transmission oil stuff. Doing the over haul this weekend. Thanks guys
Old 09-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if the last owner used mobile 1 10 30... just stick to that.... and for tranny fluid.. you dont have to bring that to the dealer.. just change the fluid yourself....go to the parts area at ur honda dealer and ask for 2 quarts honda MTF.. and change it at home

for my civic i jump around mobile, valvoline, castrol...but i use 10 40
Old 09-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if your gear is popping out it means your tranny is going. had the same problem with my 2000 ex, it was a pretty expensive replacement.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

still trying to figure out this dam p1457 ecu code..
Old 09-24-2011, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The code is evap leak.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the p1457 is a evap code you will not pass smog or inspection with this code. ive had several obd1 and obd2 cars come to me with check engine light on. no effect to engine performance. always end up being a evap code. i always recommend buying a new evap canister and evap purge solenoid and always fixes the problem. just cuz the code says leak doesnt always mean its a leak. those evap canister do get clogged believe or not. also try this

yes you can figure out what is casuing the code to come on by following the diagnosing procedures outlines in the service manaul for that code. For that code, the first procedure checks the purge valve. It says to disconnect the vacuum hose from the EVAP canister purge valve and connect a vacuum pump to the hose. Then to turn on the evap canister purge valve with the Honda scanner or by connecting ECM connecter terminal B21 to body ground with a jumper wire, then to turn the ignition on and apply vacuum to the hose. If the hose doesnt hold vacuum, then the purge valve is ok, if it doesnt hold vacuum, then it goes to another procedure. The next procedure checks the electrical circuit for the purge valve. And so on and so forth untill the problem is found. this is how all check engine codes are diagnosed.
Attached Images   
Old 10-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for ur help boss gonna try cleaning them tom
Old 10-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just picked up a new charcoal canister. Hope it works. Installing this weekend
Old 03-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when i bought the charcoal canister it turned out to be from a 98 civic ex and the plug is diff, can i find a way to make it work or should i just buy a brand new one from http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/f...EL%20PIPE%20(3)

item#14 correct thanks in advance