Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Is it my oil pump?

Old 04-25-2021, 08:23 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it my oil pump?

So I have a 1997 2.2 Honda Accord with 65,000 miles. I was driving yesterday and the car just sputtered and shut down as if it was out of gas. My oil was low. The following morning I changed my oil and the car turns over but will not start. I also noticed an oil drip from behind I the crank pulley (crank seal). Before shutting down the was zero knocking, noises, or grinding coming from the engine. Would this be the oil pump?
Old 04-25-2021, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Re: Is it my oil pump?

Possibly, But lets take apart what you wrote:

Oil drip behind Crank Pulley - I think what you are going to need is possibly a front main seal, or any of the little items that come when you the timing belt change. If they are leaking and you have to get in there, my suggestion is to buy the timing belt kit with water pump and change everything while in there, as it will all be apart anyway. I believe that most people go with the Aisin and been happy (myself included). https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...167487&jsn=970

You still might need a a few more seals, but this is at least part of it. Look at this thread where someone did the work and it should show you parts and the effort:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...cover-3221242/

Low oil and damage: depending on the low oil condition (how low was it) you could have starved it and done some damage. This could be pistons, rods, crank, etc, almost anything could be damaged if it's low oil.

If I am reading this right, it's still unlikely to be an oil pump, an oil pump and fail and you wouldn't know until it locked up. Sputtering and dying kinda sound like you might have had the timing belt snap. When was it last changed? I suspect this also because it has such low miles, an inspector might have said it hadn't hit the mileage, but people forget that time is also a bitch and can wear the belt out just being on there. I would think you would change a belt after 10 years or so to be safe, 12-15 if you really want to risk it, and 20 or more if you just don't care.

Personally, I would not attempt to start the car or make it crank over until you have the timing cover off and can see if the belt is shredded, or anything obvious has fallen off (which I suspect will be the case given your description).

In a completely different direction, you could have had a simple fuel pump failure and that's why it's cranking and not starting. But I would check the timing belt first unless you tell us you had it recently changed.

Old 04-25-2021, 03:22 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 99stockcivic
Possibly, But lets take apart what you wrote:

Oil drip behind Crank Pulley - I think what you are going to need is possibly a front main seal, or any of the little items that come when you the timing belt change. If they are leaking and you have to get in there, my suggestion is to buy the timing belt kit with water pump and change everything while in there, as it will all be apart anyway. I believe that most people go with the Aisin and been happy (myself included). https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...167487&jsn=970

You still might need a a few more seals, but this is at least part of it. Look at this thread where someone did the work and it should show you parts and the effort:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...cover-3221242/

Low oil and damage: depending on the low oil condition (how low was it) you could have starved it and done some damage. This could be pistons, rods, crank, etc, almost anything could be damaged if it's low oil.

If I am reading this right, it's still unlikely to be an oil pump, an oil pump and fail and you wouldn't know until it locked up. Sputtering and dying kinda sound like you might have had the timing belt snap. When was it last changed? I suspect this also because it has such low miles, an inspector might have said it hadn't hit the mileage, but people forget that time is also a bitch and can wear the belt out just being on there. I would think you would change a belt after 10 years or so to be safe, 12-15 if you really want to risk it, and 20 or more if you just don't care.

Personally, I would not attempt to start the car or make it crank over until you have the timing cover off and can see if the belt is shredded, or anything obvious has fallen off (which I suspect will be the case given your description).

In a completely different direction, you could have had a simple fuel pump failure and that's why it's cranking and not starting. But I would check the timing belt first unless you tell us you had it recently changed.
Thanks for the response. Yes the timing belt was already changed back in 2019. I was also thinking it might be a fuel pump issue aswell. Is there a way I can find out without dropping the fuel tank? I don't think it has been changed. And it did sound like it was starving for fuel when I tried cranking it over. And that's when I saw the crank seal dripping. I talked to someone about that and they told me a busted seal wouldn't drop the oil pressure enough to not start, but a faulty oil pump could.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, to test for fuel I would think you would want to test the pressure, which is going to take a little bit of effort, because I think you need two adapters to get it to connect.

No, you don't have to drop the fuel tank to replace, however you do need to cut a hole or make an access panel. I haven't done this on my car because it hasn't needed one, but I've done them on other cars.
This video will show roughly where it is so you can make the hole.

Although he doesn't mention it in the video, DO NOT USE A SAW that will cut deep, like a sawzall. Use a cutting wheel. As you can see in the video, parts of the pump are close and a regular blade saw will hit it. In the past, I used a 3 or 4 inch cutting wheel that I picked up from Harbor Freight very cheaply along with a small air compressor. But they make plenty of battery operated ones as well, almost anything will cut this very thin piece of sheet metal, so don't worry about getting some monster tool. I've seen a messy job where someone used an air hammer to chisel through, but it really looks bad. When you make the access plate/panel cut, only cut three sides so you can just roll it back and then roll it into place when done. Then either tape or make a latch to keep it closed and in place when done.

Make sure you are checking all voltage and such down to the pump before replacing it, in case it's something else.

Make sure to disconnect battery and anything else before starting to cut.

With all that, the leak is probably behind the timing belt, so it still sounds like that has to come apart and should be inspected before attempting to start or crank the car. If it's bad/loose, you are going to do a ton of damage to the engine so that's why you want to verify everything is good there before attacking the fuel pump.

Old 04-26-2021, 11:18 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 99stockcivic
Well, to test for fuel I would think you would want to test the pressure, which is going to take a little bit of effort, because I think you need two adapters to get it to connect.

No, you don't have to drop the fuel tank to replace, however you do need to cut a hole or make an access panel. I haven't done this on my car because it hasn't needed one, but I've done them on other cars.
This video will show roughly where it is so you can make the hole.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mq-...channel=BuggzP

Although he doesn't mention it in the video, DO NOT USE A SAW that will cut deep, like a sawzall. Use a cutting wheel. As you can see in the video, parts of the pump are close and a regular blade saw will hit it. In the past, I used a 3 or 4 inch cutting wheel that I picked up from Harbor Freight very cheaply along with a small air compressor. But they make plenty of battery operated ones as well, almost anything will cut this very thin piece of sheet metal, so don't worry about getting some monster tool. I've seen a messy job where someone used an air hammer to chisel through, but it really looks bad. When you make the access plate/panel cut, only cut three sides so you can just roll it back and then roll it into place when done. Then either tape or make a latch to keep it closed and in place when done.

Make sure you are checking all voltage and such down to the pump before replacing it, in case it's something else.

Make sure to disconnect battery and anything else before starting to cut.

With all that, the leak is probably behind the timing belt, so it still sounds like that has to come apart and should be inspected before attempting to start or crank the car. If it's bad/loose, you are going to do a ton of damage to the engine so that's why you want to verify everything is good there before attacking the fuel pump.
Just had a mechanic come take a look at it. Apparently the timing belt snapped and blew the engine. The engine sounded fine while running, but I guess whoever put the timing belt on fucked up. Thank you for the replies.

Old 04-26-2021, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah...that totally sucks. I'm sorry to hear. And it extra sucks because you said the belt was done (unless someone lied about it).

About the only consolation I can offer is 1- do not waste your time doing anything else to that motor, it's junk.
2 - You can find a whole motor for hopefully around $500 and drop it in.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18453931321...kAAOSwGbFfsuS-