Notices

single popping noise when braking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default single popping noise when braking?

recently (within the last 2 days) i have started to notice that there is a single "pop" noise coming from the driver side of my car when i come to a low speed stop. i can also feel the pop in my clutch foot (because the clutch pedal is to the floor when im braking).

also,

-if driving at a constant speed, and i quickly press the gas in and then let off, itll make the single popping noise every time i get back on the gas (only happens in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear)

-when stopping from 5mph, itll pop. then when i start to go in reverse, no pop. then when i hit the brakes from 5mph in reverse, a single popping noise again.

it seems like a suspension or brake problem, but everything is tight and no play.

what makes me feel like it is an axle problem is that my friend jammed the car into reverse when it was idling, but no clutch engaged, and the ebrake was on. Would all that torque and nowhere for the car or front wheels to go, be enough force to ruin an axle?. the next day when turning right and backing out, i heard a grinding noise from the driver side.... not clunking, a scraping/grinding sound

what makes me feel like its not the axle, is that both driver side and pass side axles have the same exact tolerances when i rotate them or wiggle them in various areas. the passenger side has no problems and no boots are torn anywhere. wheel bearings are making no noise.

lots of words but atleast its readable. thanks for any help
Old 08-19-2011, 06:26 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: single popping noise when braking?

I am curious - when you checked the balljoints did you jack the weight off the lower control arm? Also I find it extremely hard to believe he was able to put the car in reverse with out using the clutch... also no way there would be enough torque to damage anything... The car would stall or start spinning the tire...
Old 08-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well he did. no synchromesh in reverse so once the tip of the spinning gear touches it basically sucks it into gear. i jacked it up by the corner of the tractionbar. the car did die after it was put into reverse. could it be the caliper pad shifting?
Old 08-20-2011, 03:47 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well what I was getting at was I was leaning towards an accident but I guess he did it on purpose huh...

You can't check a ball joint by where you jacked it up at... Also what you are describing sounds more suspension related than anything. You wouldn't feel your pads in the floor board.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not saying it's your problem but this sounds like exactly what my hatch was doing when the radius rod had loosened very slightly from where the 2 bolts hold it to the lower control arm. As it popped back and forth a tiny bit, in the way you describe, it made a noise like you describe.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it does sound like suspension noise based on your description, i would agree with d16sihatch, sounds like radius arm bushing or possibly control arm bushings,maybe even strut noise< if you can post a video with the sound u are hearing on it.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lose radious rod where it connects to lca, happened to me many times. Always hear a pop when braking, and taking off. Check both sides.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys. it was the traction bar rods that connect to the lcas. had just one bolt that was a half turn loose, thats all it was!