Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

how much oil a healthy vtec motor uses??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much oil a healthy vtec motor uses??

i know this engines tends to burn some oil so how much oil is normally use by this kind of motors?mine has use like 1/2 quart in a monthand it has like 40k miles its that normal or maybe i have a leak?im assuming it cant be a ring cause its not smoking and i dynoed @ 174whp stock
Old 08-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how much oil a healthy vtec motor uses??

a healthy motor? no oil, it should hold 4 quarts all the way till your next oil change
Old 08-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive been told vtec integras burn about 1qt per 1k, non-synthetic. A little but more if its full synthetic.
(Heard this from a local shop.)
Old 08-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

assuming in a month you put at least 2500-3000 miles yes thats very normal and healthy. check the compression also to determain the health of the motor, i use about a half quart every 2k or so. Its a tuned boosted ITR motor from the dealer with around 30k.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:52 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spawne32
a healthy motor? no oil, it should hold 4 quarts all the way till your next oil change
bingo

my k20z1 (not a b-series but still) with over 115k doesnt burn a drop. and i beat on it every day.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:54 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by friesx100
Ive been told vtec integras burn about 1qt per 1k, non-synthetic. A little but more if its full synthetic.
(Heard this from a local shop.)
so that would mean at 4k miles it would have burned ALL of its oil. that just doesnt even make sense.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doood
so that would mean at 4k miles it would have burned ALL of its oil. that just doesnt even make sense.
what are you talking about?k series motor are newer than b series that means that all the flaws that the b series had the k series shouldnt and no its not going to burn all of the oil
Old 08-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My H22 burns like 1 qt every mile... j/p but 1 qt about every 1500 miles is my h22, I know i need new valve seals... I have see about 1/2 qt about every 2k to 3k miles on B series
Old 08-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok just to re-clarify this again, your not supposed to burn ANY oil, after 3000, hell even 5000 miles, you should still have the same amount of oil in there from the day you changed it, the most you should ever see it drop would be maybe 1/4 of a quart just from some burnoff. You drive a honda, not a chrysler, 1quart every 1500 miles is not acceptable oil consumption.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

ok just to re-clarify this again, your not supposed to burn ANY oil, after 3000, hell even 5000 miles, you should still have the same amount of oil in there from the day you changed it, the most you should ever see it drop would be maybe 1/4 of a quart just from some burnoff. You drive a honda, not a chrysler, 1quart every 1500 miles is not acceptable oil consumption.
i agree and disagree! it should burn oil but not too much, even a fresh/ low mile stock b series will burn oil after a certain amount of time dep on driving habits like going in vtec and high rev driving, but that should be very minimal like around a half a quart from at least 3,000 miles any more than its burning more than it should, i highly doubt theres more than a hand full of B series that burn no oil even after 3-5k! built or stock.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i change my oil every 5000 miles, most ive ever lost in a whole oil change (when i didnt have leaking gasket problems) was a 1/3 of a quart.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

99% of the threads that ive searched all says that vtec motors tend to burn oil,how much?still a debate,but itr motors tend to burn more oil due to the high compression i know that im just trying to know how much is normal,my car never smokes not even cold,it burns oil only when vtec engages ive put around 6k miles since i swapped and put like 1 quart of oil went to the dyno put 20 times 9,800 rpm and ive drive it hard since
Old 08-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont understand what high compression has to do with oil consumption, your either loosing it, or your burning it, if your rings are good, and your seals are good, you wont lose it or burn it up in the combustion chamber, and if your using the proper oil weight and a good performing oil for your specific application, then it shouldnt burn off very easily at all.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont understand what high compression has to do with oil consumption, your either loosing it, or your burning it, if your rings are good, and your seals are good, you wont lose it or burn it up in the combustion chamber, and if your using the proper oil weight and a good performing oil for your specific application, then it shouldnt burn off very easily at all.
high compression motors are high revviving motors that means parts moving faster and i never said i was burning oil and im using 5w30 conventional oil im changing it tomorow to syn
Old 08-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im just saying, theres no reason that it just "disappears", there is a reason that you burn oil off or lose oil in general before your not oil change that is not "normal" or "acceptable" oil consumption, and high compression motors does not = high revving. I understand that high revving motors have faster moving parts, and they create more friction etc, but the point is, if your burning your oil off at a fast rate because of that, its because your not using the proper oil adequate for your needs of "high revving" or racing or any other situation your engine might be in. Like i said, im using 5w40 royal purple oil in my car because I race it during hot summer days, it has a strong additive package, and the proper viscosity for the temperature, and extreme use that it is under, and I havent lost any of it from burning off, i only lost some due to the fact that i have a leak in my oil pan gasket which caused a little oil pukage a couple weeks ago.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im just saying, theres no reason that it just "disappears", there is a reason that you burn oil off or lose oil in general before your not oil change that is not "normal" or "acceptable" oil consumption, and high compression motors does not = high revving. I understand that high revving motors have faster moving parts, and they create more friction etc, but the point is, if your burning your oil off at a fast rate because of that, its because your not using the proper oil adequate for your needs of "high revving" or racing or any other situation your engine might be in. Like i said, im using 5w40 royal purple oil in my car because I race it during hot summer days, it has a strong additive package, and the proper viscosity for the temperature, and extreme use that it is under, and I havent lost any of it from burning off, i only lost some due to the fact that i have a leak in my oil pan gasket which caused a little oil pukage a couple weeks ago.
ok im not saying its ''dissapearing'' i know something has to be happening ill be changing to synthetic do you think ill help?also i live in a hot place changing to 5w40 will be better?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes it is either a loss of oil or burning of oil. Do you change your crush washer every oil change? Do you have a dark grayish smoke coming out under hard acceleration or when the Vtec kicks in? Do you keep your engine bay so clean you can eat off it? Clean enough to spot an oil leak in your sleep?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eclipsedsundown
Yes it is either a loss of oil or burning of oil. Do you change your crush washer every oil change? Do you have a dark grayish smoke coming out under hard acceleration or when the Vtec kicks in? Do you keep your engine bay so clean you can eat off it? Clean enough to spot an oil leak in your sleep?
no i dont change it,no no smoke at all,its fairly clean but i cant see not leaks but i have the timming cover so i cant see whats happening under there
Old 08-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

True. Take it off and inspect you can also check around the crank pulley on the timing chain. When you change the oil you should be changing the crush washer because if you every get under there to change the oil and you see just a little drop of oil there you are losing it there and driving the motor heats up and that leak can increase under driving conditions.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok just to re-clarify this again, your not supposed to burn ANY oil, after 3000, hell even 5000 miles, you should still have the same amount of oil in there from the day you changed it,
OH, okay.. so oil is perfect in the sense that it wont deteriorate or break down in any way? Why even change the oil, just change the filter.
Why bother with synthetic versus regular? Why Royal purple versus penzoil, castrol, etc?
What % of additives matter, and why would those be in a state which they would not dissipate, break down, build up, etc.

Any car will burn/use/break down SOME oil. idgaf how new, old, high mile or low mile is.
Even if they did have the technology to do so, they wouldnt. Just like manufacturers dont make 50+mpg cars and trucks when they CAN and have the ABILITY to.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by friesx100
OH, okay.. so oil is perfect in the sense that it wont deteriorate or break down in any way? Why even change the oil, just change the filter.
Why bother with synthetic versus regular? Why Royal purple versus penzoil, castrol, etc?
What % of additives matter, and why would those be in a state which they would not dissipate, break down, build up, etc.

Any car will burn/use/break down SOME oil. idgaf how new, old, high mile or low mile is.
Even if they did have the technology to do so, they wouldnt. Just like manufacturers dont make 50+mpg cars and trucks when they CAN and have the ABILITY to.
Your not listening to what im saying, if your breaking down your oil, your not using the proper oil for your application. Part of the reason why i dont lose any oil in my car, even though it has 200,000 miles on it.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is like going to the dealership to buy the car "BRAND NEW" and just cause its has "VTEC" they're also going to give you box of oil with your new car. It just dosent make sence.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Builda'Teg_92
This is like going to the dealership to buy the car "BRAND NEW" and just cause its has "VTEC" they're also going to give you box of oil with your new car. It just dosent make sence.
lol when my brother had his pacifica chrysler told him a quart of oil a month was acceptable oil consumption and there was no reason for any warranty repair. It used to burn oil past the rings like crazy.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

only constant i've came across is that when you're burning a quart every 500 miles the engine is near burning a ringland or exhaust valve.

for healthy? who knows? not burning any would be ideal but i haven't personally found a b18c1 or 5 that's been the case with. i pulled the engine out of a 97 jdm itr front clip back in 2008 with 64,000kms. that engine burned a quart every 1500 like clockwork....in fact today that engine has 160,000kms and still burns a quart every 1500.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey I roll a 98 Eclipse GST and I don't burn any oil. Got a 03 Dodge 1500 Ram Van and I have gone 6000 miles on oil change and no oil loss. My old piece of sh-- 2000 cavalier with 2.4 dohc that I beat to crap on a daily bases never lost oil up to the day I said good by.

Quick Reply: how much oil a healthy vtec motor uses??